• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I'm Jumping For Joy - YaY :o))

Jezabelle

Quitting is NOT an option
Well I have just phoned Heartlands Hospital up and they checked through all the paper work that had just come into the clinic from Dr Taheri secretary (he has the say who you see 1st time etc)

The lady came back to the phone and said is 2:30pm 2nd July ok? .... Well you can imagine what my reply was :D I have someone elses cancellation appointment.

YaY ... I'm buzzing ;)

So on Thursday I am seeing Dr Taheri to talk about WLS and then I will see what he say's on who I have to see next :D

I'm half and half band/bypass at the moment so I am hoping by talking with the dr will help. I was band 100% before joining this site but after reading everyones success stories I am turning more towards the bypass.

Will update again on Thursday :D

Edit: Dr Shahrad Taheri, clinical director for obesity at the Birmingham Heartlands Hospital

Last edited:
2nd July!!!! That's great. Good luck with your appointment.
Marion xx

I really cant believe my luck that I am seeing them in 3 days time Marion!

It will be 27 days since seeing my gp to actually seeing someone in wls clinic!

I'm very lucky & I hope I stay lucky enough to get the funding and being accepted with the surgeon for wls.

I have never heard of this Consultant though!

Thanks xx

That is fantastic news hun. Ask as many questions as you can. Remember to make the decision based on what is right for you. Not on what other people have done. It is so tempting to see how others are doing and think that is what you should do. The band can be just as successful as the bypass. I am down nearly 3 1/2 stone in 8 weeks with the band. choosing what is right for you is what will make the wls successful.

Good luck and woop woop for Thursday!!!!!

Thanks Margaret & Sue x

I'm going to search for the questions thread.. I do have a few written down already but want to go with alot more and I hope to have made my mind up before I go and see him on Thursday wether to have the band or bypass. My family don't want me to have the latter.

You are only down the road from me hun so if you ever want to chat about the band or just want support I am here. xxx

That's fantastic!!! How exciting!!

OMG! I am so excited! Do you have his number so I can call them tomorrow? I just want someone to tell me my referral hasn't been lost.

Hi FL... I left you all the numbers the other day in my other thread :)

But as I mentioned in that one you need to phone the Diabetic clinic as that is where your referral will be as that is where we get seen at Heartlands... It's also the Tyroid clinic which I have visited often because I've had a thyroidectomy.

Dr Taheri secretary said that she has no outstanding referrals as the Dr did them all last week. There is a posibility yours too has been dealt with unless it arrives in the Diabetes clinic this week as you were seen a week after me at your surgery.

The numbers for the Diabetic clinic are:
0121 424 2074
0121 424 2234
0121 424 0234

Let us all know how you get on. xx

OMG! I am so excited! Do you have his number so I can call them tomorrow? I just want someone to tell me my referral hasn't been lost.

Hi FL... I left you all the numbers the other day in my other thread :)

But as I mentioned in that one you need to phone the Diabetic clinic as that is where your referral will be as that is where we get seen at Heartlands... It's also the Tyroid clinic which I have visited often because I've had a thyroidectomy.

Dr Taheri secretary said that she has no outstanding referrals as the Dr did them all last week. There is a posibility yours too has been dealt with unless it arrives in the Diabetes clinic this week as you were seen a week after me at your surgery.

The numbers for the Diabetic clinic are:
0121 424 2074
0121 424 2234
0121 424 0234

Let us all know how you get on. xx

Thanks for this. I am sorry for missing the other thread or forgetting. Both are possible with my silly brain lately.

Thanks everyone :D

No worries FL... I am just like you with fog brain... I have all the numbers written down on a sheet of paper which I keep under my laptop so I can get to it easy.

Let us know tomorrow how you get on.

Thanks for your help. I found someone this morning who located my referral and will be calling me later today with an appointment for the weight management clinic. I hope this is the normal procedure. I am just happy I am not lost in the system.

That's great news FL ....

Did you ask who you were going to be seen by?

I don't know if mine is weight management clinic.. They just told me I was to see Dr Taheri who will decide who to pass me onto next.. either Mr Super (banding) or Mr Khmar? (bypass) may of spelt his name wrong.

I just found this bit of info on the Heart of England web site:

The Weight Management Clinic was set up in 2000 at Heartlands Hospital. This was in response to the increasing problem of obesity and the lack of provision both locally and nationally, and for research purposes. The clinic has developed a multidisciplinary approach and currently has input from a number of healthcare professionals including the following:
  • Physicians
  • Dieticians/Nutritionist
  • Surgeon
  • Psychiatrist
A physician and dietician/nutritionist will review all patients at their first clinic visit. A management strategy will be decided with the patient, and appropriate referral to other healthcare professionals will be made as necessary.

Back