• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Im sorry Mr blackbird

StephieAck

I know Ive changed!
We have a pond in our back yard and we always had a little waterfall there too and each year around this time, and actually during other bits of the year, a gorgeous male blackbird would come and visit and have a good old bath in that waterfall, it was really cute to watch because he would just dive in and go to town on himself lol
Anyway, whilst doing some maintainence of the yard the waterfall broke and we rigged up the pump etc just to have a little spout of water for now.
Anyway, the last few days this blackbird has been coming to the pond and looking totally put out that his bath has gone and has been hopping around the pond sides looking for ways to have his bath...he even tried hovering under the water spout for a moment but that didnt work.
I was convinced that it couldnt be the same one that keeps coming back and that I was putting human emotions into it by thinking it remembers the waterfall and wonders where it has gone, but after doing some research apparantley they have quite good memories, so its very conceivable that he is back and wondering what happened...God bless him.
So...sorry Mr Blackbird...I promise we will install something for you in spring or summer xxx
Steph xx

Awww bless... they say that the shortage of water when everything is iced up, causes more deaths for our garden birds than the cold...

He'll be a loyal friend for sure Steph...

I love our birds xxx

He has been bringing Mrs Blackbird with him today, both gorgeous birds, Ill have to snap a picture of them.
I think I might sort out a nice roomy bucket or something for them so that they can still have their bath, they look like they are missing it. They can still drink though as the pond has well flowing water and so doesnt freeze completely.
Steph xx

It could be the same bird you know; my mum-in-law has the same blackbird visiting her garden every day as she gives him chopped rinds, peanuts and currants. He even comes up and taps on the patio doors to be fed some days if she's running late. Once the food has been put down the rest of the family arrive - but this one's really brave and comes right up to mum if she's in the garden and has food for him.

We have a robin in our garden at the moment, he comes back every year (or possibly is there all year round?); and regularly have a flock of Starlings bathing in the borders where the garden has flooded - its frozen and snowy now but we do have a few holes in the ice where they've been able to get a drink.

they do deffo remember - coz ive been putting bread out for them since bevs "feed the birds" thread and i havent this morning and stephen says - look at all the birds on side of the house looking for your bread, lol so i made him go out and throw some down for them, bless em!

I'm making bird cakes all the time and keeping an eye out for the weather because the birds suffer.

Great to hear you are looking after them girls, they are really precious.

Love and hugs xxx

They def remember. i have 1 i feed every day , he sits at door till he is fed, when he has had enought his familey can come, i love him

Back