• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New to this group.

mandalou86

Hi all,

My name is Amanda and i have been over weight for the last 7 years, i have just been told i have PCO i am finding it VERY hard to lose weight i have tryed so many diffrent diets and pill and nothing is working at all.

I have been to see detitians and they can't find anything wrong with my diet or the amount of excercise i do im always on the go and i go to the gym for 2 hours every night after work 1 hour working out and 1 hour swimming i have had personal traners and all but still nothing shifftiing my weight :confused:

Im only 21 and im 5,5 and i weigh 19,5 so im very over weight :sigh: my BMI is 45.1.

I really would like to get a Gastric Band op but there is no way i could afford it privietly is there anybody here that has had it on the NHS?? I know gastric band is not a quick fix but it will help me to reach my goal and be much happyer than i am now.

Hi and welcome.

I'm afraid I can't help with your question but I know there are members with gastric bands and I am sure one will be along soon with some helpful advice.

Gx

Hi lovey ,i had the band done on fri but i had to pay for it.I think when ive paid everything it will be about 8000 dollars.So alot cheaper than the uk.Have you been quoted a price?xx

No i have just had a look at prices on line and its anything from £7,000 upwards and i just cant afford that im going to talk to my doctor about it tho as everything els i have tryed has faild not done anything at all

hi
u can get it on nhs your gp has to write to your pct for funding, the pct where i live in bolton are very much for WLS so are funding all requests at moment.
i had gastric bypass on nhs.

Thanx Alison that has given me some faith that i will get one

Can i just give a list of thigs i have tryed and done to lose weight.

Diets

1) Slimming world
2) Slim Fast
3) Weight Watchers
4) Low Gi
5) Rosemary Conley
6) Atkins Dite
7) Cabbage Soup
8) Low Carb
9) Diebetic Diet

I have tryed diet pills still nothing, i work out loads i do

1) Running
2) Swimming
3) Dancing
4) Arobics
5) Weights
6) Walking

And othe things i have tryed

1) Acupuncture
2) Hypnotherapy

Done all this over 7 years and all just fails as i said before BMI is 45.1 and for the last 3 years i have back problems do you think i am a good case for Gastric Band???

Hi Amanda

I am a bit further down the line from you. I went to my GP and told her I wanted to go down the surgery route, she was very good with me and because I had tried every diet and have had problems since a kid (which was on my records) she referred me to my PCT. This was sent through between xmas and new year 2007 and I received a letter on 10th January saying I had been awarded funding. It took a while to get all the forms filled out etc but I have my first appointment with the hospital and surgeon on the 28th April (2 weeks and counting).

Have you been to see your GP to see if you can get the funding?

Any help I can give you I would be happy to do so.

Nic xx

I went to see my GP and she was not having it that i wanted surgory she has put me on some tablets that makes me go to the loo all the time when i eat, its affecting my work so i have to stop taking them as i was more in the loo than in the class which is bad, the name of the tablets are Xenical.

I dont think she is going to do anything so i may swap to another doctor in my surgory and see what they can do for me as i know the bypass is the only thing that is going to work

hi mandalou,
your doc sounds like she has her head up her bum lol.... not very enlightened. these pills and diets may work for a while but in the end ur weight comes back... takeit from someone who knows!!! def change ur doctor or do some research on line about nhs surgeons and write to them yourself!!! your more of a burden on the nhs with weight related health problems for years to come than a one off operation!!! most enlightened gp's realise that....
my bmi was 46 i went for the band but my surgeon advised me the bypass was a better more guarenteed weightloss option for me. the criteria for surgery on nhs as i was told was that if u have a bmi over 35 under 40 u must have medical complications to qualify but if ur bmi is over 40 u qualify automatically. dont let that doctor put you off. get tough with her or get a new doc but fight for your rights!!!
the most i ever lost on diets was 2 stone on ww it took me 6 months to get it off and a few weeks to put it back on and more!!!
i had the bypass on 1st feb 08 and ive lost 4 stone 9lbs so far!!! best decision i ever made!!!
you go 4 it girl!!!!!
Donna xx

I went to see a nice male doctor in my pct and he was lovely very helpful and would do anything thats when i first found out i had PCO so i am going to try my best to get back and see this doctor as i think he will do more for me.

I have the high BMI and medical problems so i just dont understand why she couldnt just say yea i will apply for funding ect as im at my wits end and being 22 and really fat dose not do anything for my confidence it depresses me very much.

So fingers crossed for me im going to do battle and im going to make sure he takes it on board of what im going through

Hi Mandalou

I went to see my own gp in July last year, and he said he would refer me to the hospital but wasnt very hopeful, as apart from being overweight and a BMI of over 50 he felt i was ok..... I then went to my local hospital and tehy then discovered that I was diabetic albeit borderline but i take metformin twice a day!!!!! I suffer with servre depression..... aswell, he said it would be hard but if i worked with him we would get there, then in November I went to my drs but saw a different gp as mine was away was talkign to him about something completely different and he then said so are you serious about this gastric op, I explained and got up set and he said right lets refer you now........ i was shocked couldnt beleive it, he explained that he had refered 3 people and within 6 months they had, had theres....... he did all the paperwork and siad i would hear something..... I then went again in December to see him as i had a real bad chest and he said i should here by easter!!!!!!! so I sat and waited and easter week I got a call asking to go and see the consultant on 27 march... I was on cloud 9..................

I went on 27 march and I go in to hospital on the 15 May for the bypass!!!!!! mine is on NHS.............

All i can say is keep percerving and you will get there!!!!!! you are an ideal candiate, so don't give up, trying going for a different dr!

ALl the best.....

I went to see a nice male doctor in my pct and he was lovely very helpful and would do anything thats when i first found out i had PCO so i am going to try my best to get back and see this doctor as i think he will do more for me.

I have the high BMI and medical problems so i just dont understand why she couldnt just say yea i will apply for funding ect as im at my wits end and being 22 and really fat dose not do anything for my confidence it depresses me very much.

So fingers crossed for me im going to do battle and im going to make sure he takes it on board of what im going through

Hi Mandalou

Persevere hun and you will get there, I know its really frustrating and you feel that nobody realises how you feel but you will get there and we'll all be here for you.

I honestly felt the same but I just keep working towards the next milestone as it were!

Keep your chin up xx

Hi all,

My name is Amanda and i have been over weight for the last 7 years, i have just been told i have PCO i am finding it VERY hard to lose weight i have tryed so many diffrent diets and pill and nothing is working at all.

I have been to see detitians and they can't find anything wrong with my diet or the amount of excercise i do im always on the go and i go to the gym for 2 hours every night after work 1 hour working out and 1 hour swimming i have had personal traners and all but still nothing shifftiing my weight :confused:

Im only 21 and im 5,5 and i weigh 19,5 so im very over weight :sigh: my BMI is 45.1.

I really would like to get a Gastric Band op but there is no way i could afford it privietly is there anybody here that has had it on the NHS?? I know gastric band is not a quick fix but it will help me to reach my goal and be much happyer than i am now.
Hello hunny
I am so sorry to hear about the trouble that you are having with your weight.
I have just has a gastric band fitted on the NHS, I have brittle asthma and my weight effects my asthma, I had to fight for the funding, my gp refered me for surgery but the PCT turned me down as I did not weigh enough at the time, so I appealed with the help of my respiritory consultaln, my GP and a PCT dietition, all in all it has taken me 1 year to get the surgery from 1st speaking about it with my GP, I had the op on Monday.
If I can be of any help jsut let me know.
Nessa x

Thank you everybody for your help and advice.

I just dont understand why the lady GP just didnt reffer me as she know that i have medical problems like very sore backs and asthma i am on 850g of metaformin 2 times a day.

I just need to know what the right things i need to say to my GP for them to do it. Im just so depressed and im starting to make my self sick after eating to try and lose weight i know it wrong but id do anything to be thin again :cry:

Hiya

Personally what I would do is print of the NICE guidelines and take them to the nice Dr! The woman doesn't sound like she will help you and probably can't understand how you feel. At the end of the day the refer you but then its down to the PCT which doesn't affect her!! If you comply to the guidelines you will get approved. The government have said they have to help people now and they do seem more supportive, looks like you have just got a "bad egg" of a Dr, but keep going and I'm sure you will get something sorted.

Nic xx

Thank you everybody for your help and advice.

I just dont understand why the lady GP just didnt reffer me as she know that i have medical problems like very sore backs and asthma i am on 850g of metaformin 2 times a day.

I just need to know what the right things i need to say to my GP for them to do it. Im just so depressed and im starting to make my self sick after eating to try and lose weight i know it wrong but id do anything to be thin again :cry:

Aww hunny
Please don make yourself sick sweetheart, that is opening a whole other can of worms...... I think that the authorities would hold back from giving you Barriatric Sugery of any kind if you had an underlying issue like Bulimia...... You would have to be councelled before anyone would give you the surgery and that would hold everything up my love. Just call up your local PCT and see what they say, also ask to see a different GP darlin... you need a second oppinion.
If there is anything that I can do to help just let me know hunny.

Nessa x

Thanx Nic,

I will go do this now and i shall write down everything i have tryed for losing weight.

I may be in a good possition to get it done as i have PCO so the more weight i put on the worse the PCO gets and then that means i will make my self more infertile and i have a family history of dibetics this is my last chanc now so im going to push as hard as i can.

Im so determant now

Back