• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Incision site not healing

sararob23

I have had pain in one of my incision sites since the operation, I put it down to it being the main one used for the operation so left the dressing on for a day or two longer as I could tell it wasn't quite ready. There was no sign of redness around the dressing so I wasn't too worried.
I took the waterproof dressing off yesterday which wasn't pretty and the stitches have just fallen off. The scar is no where near healed, there was quite a bit of pus and the scar doesn't look to be joining. :cry:
One of the other scars hasn't healed well either and is a really bad join, but it has sealed together.
Has this happened to anyone else? Should I get it checked at my GP's tomorrow or am I being over cautious? :confused:

get it checked, do u have a walk in centre where u live? that would be ideal xxx

get it checked, do u have a walk in centre where u live? that would be ideal xxx

No but my Dr's are usually good at giving appointments if I call early enough. I'll call in the morning!

Thanks

Has this happened to anyone else?

Yes.

Having had the sleeve where the remainder (80%) of your stomach is pulled out through the largest port hole, I had problems with my largest incision site for nearly 3 weeks (not quite closed up, and oozing/weeping puss etc)

For 2 weeks I went to the nurse at my GP surgery who applied steri strips and re-dressed it a few times .... (I was really hoping she would do a butterfly stitch and stitch the damn thing together properly but apparently that is too much to expect of our surgery nurses these days -- slap a few steri strips on and hope for the best.)

By the 3rd week I had found where to buy steri strips and sterilised spray clean stuff to re-dress it myself.

They WILL heal but for some people the DO take time.

My main incision site didn't look healed when I had my staples out, but now 12 days later it's all closed up and looking lots better.
Best to get it checked out though.
Em xxx

Went to see gp. It is infected so I'm on antibiotics for it. no more stitches, though ive just got to keep changing the dressings.

Back