• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Surgery sites post-op (bit graphic for the squeamish!))

Mio

After I had my banding on Tuesday they said to remove the dressings from the incision sites 5 days post-op, which was yesterday. I'd had a bit of weeping coming through the dressing pad but my mum said that was ok.

Anyways, asked my mum to help me take off the dressings today, and when we did the wound was still open and quite raw. It started bleeding/weeping and, quite frankly, I almost passed out *lol* (I'm not very good with things like this!)

I'm going to go to the NHS drop-in centre tomorrow but just wondered how other people found the incision site healing process?

Your doing the right thing getting it checked out, you might just need some steri strips on it but it needs checking out x

Thanks - it's the first time I've ever had any kind of op so I have no idea what to expect or what's going on! I'm sure it's nothing terrible but I'm ridiculously squeamish :faint2:

My poor mum though - she's put up with a lot this week :D

Well, I'm back from the NHS walk-in clinic, and I have to say that if anyone gets weeeping incision sites days after the op, go to the doctor!

I now have infection in all five of my incision sites (as well as an ear infection!) and am on antibiotics but waiting to hear back from the hospital as they may want me back in to do a deep clean of the infected wounds under general anesthetic :-/ Obviously, wound infections can be really serious so I'm trying not to panic too much atm but I'm obviously worried. Nothing I can do until I hear back from the surgical team though!

Oh no Mio, this is awful. Hope u will be on the mend very soon. I couldn't look at mine till after the staples were out. My oh had the job of checking them & changing dressings while I kept my eyes shut! Know where your coming from with the squeamish stuff! Good luck with ur antibiotics. Hope you feel better soon xxx

thanks hon! I was so nervous at the clinic, got on the couch and as the (very lovely) nurse took the dressings off and announced her diagnosis, I have to say there were a few tears. Been such an emotional past week for me and to be told I might have to go back into hospital - well, it was just a bit too much for me! Luckily I had my mum with me so had some support :)

Trying to get hold of the surgical team at the hospital is impossible though - called two numbers and left messages on both of them two hours ago but haven't heard back yet :-/

Bless ya! not good news but at least you are on the road to get it put right now. just a minor blip along the way. I hope you get better v soon. xxx

hope u better soon, i had 6 incitions, 2 are covered n rest were glued n they still bleed slightly but i think it could of clothes rubbing on it, hope uget better soon xxx

So sorry to read this, Mio, :( ... the anti biotics should kick in soon & may do the job without surgical intervention. Just hope for the best, sweetie as a positive attitude is half the battle. (If it does have to be cleaned out in hospital, at least you know you are getting the treatment you need.) We are all hoping you will be better very soon, hugs to you & your mum xxx :)

Thanks for all the lovely comments! I've never had any kind of medical treatment before and it's all been quite emotional *lol* Will be happy once I've heard back from the surgical team and have an idea of what's going on!

It doesn't help that patience has never been one of my strong points though... *lol*

Oh Mio I am so sorry you are having problems love. Hope you get it all sorted out soon. Sending love and support. :)

Hi Mio, I feel for you. I have having my op on the 13th and my OH is has bad as you so i will have to do everything myself i think. I hope you get better very soon. Joey 80 nice to hear from you, was thinking about you and your op. how did it go?

hey mis, op went well, bit sore but getting better each day thanks, wont b long n u b having ur's xx

Oh mio I'm so sorry :( but hey it could be a whole lot worse, just do what ya told and you'll be fine and thin in no time, chin up sweet xxx

Am so frustrated. Been trying to call *anyone* from my bariatric team at the hospital all day (since 9am) and had no reply from anyone! Been calling 5 phone numbers I have, left two voicemails on every number, and even emailed my consultant from an email address I found on the hospital's website, but no reply from anyone. Have made a list of the numbers I called and how many times and will be reporting to the PALS at the hospital tomorrow, once I'm back fro the local A&E here in Essex where my mum's taking me tomorrow as we're both very concerned as I was told in hospital and by the doctor I saw this morning that I needed to get them looked at but I can't get hold of anyone at the hospital.

Have to say, Whittington are very much a case of you have to do things to their tune and really not impressed with the post-op support available at all - basically, it seems to be giving out numbers that only go to voicemails between 9am and 7pm!

Just to say, I've left the comfort of my mum and the dog for my little flat in London *lol* Popped into the hospital for a quick check-up too, and the nurse was very happy with how my wounds look now (in fact, they look so different now I almost look like a liar when I said how bad they were *lol*)

Having an early night tonight because I'm going out for coffee with a friend tomorrow which I am excited (and a bit nervous) about. First time out on my own! But I go back to work next week so I need to start soon :)

Glad to hear ur infections are clearing, make sure you take all the antibiotics. Enjoy your coffee date x

Back