• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Infection

Sarhys

I had my sleeve on 2nd May and everything went really well - until three days ago.

I had two weeks off work to get over the surgery and went back on Monday. Sunday evening I started to feel fluey but I didn't think anything of it. I have been ill all week but have managed to stay in work.

This morning when I was working my stomach started hurting so I had a look at it and one of my wounds has come open and there is green gunk oozing out of it. It's not just open a bit - it's gaping open. I called the emergency number for my team and the nurse told me I have an infection and that is what is causing my flu like symptoms.

I know it is just "one of those things" but I am so annoyed because now I have to go to my GP's again this afternoon and sit there for hours while they fit me in between appointments so I can get the wound cleaned, dressed properly and be given antibiotics. I will be judged by them again - they are not happy that I had the surgery done.

I am really missing food, I'm feeling really sorry for myself and I feel like crying :cry:! I never ever feel like this - I am usually such a happy person.

I was warned it was a possibility but I just can't believe one of my wounds has become infected :cry:! I am beginning to wish I had never had the surgery.

So sorry to hear this once its cleared up I can only hope you see the WLS in a different light I guess you could be having post op blues and been poorly doesnt help either get well soon and take care of yourself

Don't panic, hopefully it will only be a minor setback. If you have an infection it can make you feel generally unwell & probably a bit more sensitive.

Do you have a local walk in centre or minor injuries unit you could go to instead?

The fact that you feel so poorly will not help how you feel about your surgery, it will not be too long till you can eat proper food.

Lynn x

I had my sleeve on 2nd May and everything went really well - until three days ago.

I had two weeks off work to get over the surgery and went back on Monday. Sunday evening I started to feel fluey but I didn't think anything of it. I have been ill all week but have managed to stay in work.

This morning when I was working my stomach started hurting so I had a look at it and one of my wounds has come open and there is green gunk oozing out of it. It's not just open a bit - it's gaping open. I called the emergency number for my team and the nurse told me I have an infection and that is what is causing my flu like symptoms.

I know it is just "one of those things" but I am so annoyed because now I have to go to my GP's again this afternoon and sit there for hours while they fit me in between appointments so I can get the wound cleaned, dressed properly and be given antibiotics. I will be judged by them again - they are not happy that I had the surgery done.

I am really missing food, I'm feeling really sorry for myself and I feel like crying :cry:! I never ever feel like this - I am usually such a happy person.

I was warned it was a possibility but I just can't believe one of my wounds has become infected :cry:! I am beginning to wish I had never had the surgery.

oh try not to worry too much. Once your infection gets treated you will start to feel better, infections can make you feel miserable. Hope you feel better soon.
Take care
Jackie
xx

I think it's difficult to cope when you're feeling crap, I had a bleed and post op infection. The emotional tidal wave this all caused was much worse than what was actually going on, and because I hadn't told anyone about the op I had to come up with excuses for everything. But it passed, like most things do. And sod what you imagine the staff at the surgery are thinking, if they are judgemental then they should know better. I'm sure they have better things to do...chin up, you are not well therefore sensitive. Give it a few weeks and you'll be fine!

Sorry to hear that sar. The beginning is miserable indeed and having a wound complication certainly doesnt help matters. It does get bettter tho xx

Sm

Xx

Back