• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

12 days post surgery and infection central!!!

Kezzakins

I had a Vertical Gastric Sleeve done on 30th July 13 and read lots of people's accounts of their ops and could not work out why they were pain free so quickly when I was in agony. I visited my local GPs surgery and she prescribed me antibiotics as she thought that maybe there was an infection in my belly button incision site. She also told me I could remove my dressings.
During my morning shower on thurs I noticed that my belly area was pouring with pus so I mopped it up and re-dressed it. I had to go to the GP nurse twice more to have it dressed and then ended up at the emergency room (Saturday)as after 3 days of pouring it didn't seem to want to let up.
I was sent up to the Surgical Assessment Unit where the surgeon opened up my wound and packed it and dressed it and sent me home with instructions to get it re-packed by my surgery nurse on Monday unless it leaked over night. I woke up this morning to sodden bandages so back to the hospital we went.
I now have to contact the bariatric team on Monday to see what my surgeon wants to do with me.
Anyone else get an infection after surgery? Really beginning to wonder why I put myself through this xxx

Sorry haven't experienced this but I know infections after any surgery are very common so fingers crossed they will get this sorted out for you very quickly S x

Hi,

Really sorry to hear about the infection you have got - I hope you manage to get on top of it soon. Once you have got the infection sorted out and feel better you wont question the decision to have your op as you will realise it was the right decision.

Whilst I didn't have my op through my belly button, I have heard that for some reason there is a higher chance of infection via that route. It seems that you are one of the unlucky ones.

All the best.

AE.

bad luck hunni, I know the stats are low for post op infection, but its no consolation when you are the one that gets it! Take the antibiotics, keep the area as clean and dry as you can and try to keep your fluids up and, if you are able to, your zinc and vit c to keep your immune system boosted. I am sure the hospital team will have more advice for you - get them to swab the site to see what infection you have. I had my C-Section 5 years ago and I got two different bacterial infections AND a fungal infection in the site at the same time - I survived and my scar is fine. You will get through this xxx

Sorry to hear you've got an infection from one of your incisions... Hope it will be better soon .. All the best.

Having to have it packed and dressed daily hope it passes soon cos I am getting really fed up now xxx I just want to start my new life without pain cos at the mo it's just making me question my decision to have this op xxx

Poor you! Infections in the belly button are quite common but usually sorted with anti-biotics. I hope you're soon on the mend and reaping the rewards that gastric sleeve surgery brings xx

Gentle (((((Hugs))))) Kezza my heart goes out to you and hope it clears up soon for you xxx

Having to have it packed and dressed daily hope it passes soon cos I am getting really fed up now xxx I just want to start my new life without pain cos at the mo it's just making me question my decision to have this op xxx

How are you getting on now? I know this is a right nightmare at the moment, I had a lot of problems post op for the first 8 weeks and I remember thinking the same but I assure you in the long term it is worth it. I hope things are improving now, it's another challenge but you will get through it and your new life will start soon. The biggest secret to WLS is patience :) x

Back