• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric sleeve post surgery problems

L.Wright

Hi, has anyone had any post surgery problems with the gastric sleeve? I am 8 weeks post surgery and am having problems eating. I have been back into hospital with vomiting and an still experiencing some sickness. I am still on puréed food of which I am extremely sick of. I was sick again last night after eating some mushy peas, had pain in the stomach region and am still suffering pain, discomfort and wind. I have an appointment to see my consultant on Wednesday but feel I am going nowhere. Any suggestions? :cry:

I would love to hear what the answer is to this, I'm only 8 days out, so my experience is irrelevant really, although feel as you do, constantly
Sick, pain from tummy when i try anything nauseous.

I would advise to go back to your consultant and insist they investigate this. I was I'll for 6 months after my gastric sleeve, and kept telling them there was a problem. I collapsed at the end of jan with sceptiscaemia, ruptured diaphragm, collapsed lung and chronic subphrenic abscess, all because of an undiagnosed leak. I was discharged only Thursday this week with more surgery to face and a T Tube in place for the 7th week running. I spent weeks fighting for my life, three major surgeries and a very long recovery process ahead of me.

Make sure you go back and insist. I wish I had tried harder to make them listen.

I would advise to go back to your consultant and insist they investigate this. I was I'll for 6 months after my gastric sleeve, and kept telling them there was a problem. I collapsed at the end of jan with sceptiscaemia, ruptured diaphragm, collapsed lung and chronic subphrenic abscess, all because of an undiagnosed leak. I was discharged only Thursday this week with more surgery to face and a T Tube in place for the 7th week running. I spent weeks fighting for my life, three major surgeries and a very long recovery process ahead of me. Make sure you go back and insist. I wish I had tried harder to make them listen.
Thank you for this, I see my consultant on Wednesday and my husband is coming to fight my corner!

Thank you for this. Since posting this comment I have vomited 5 times and brought up the mushy peas (well puréed) that I ate 18 hours earlier, they were in the same form as when they were eaten. This cannot be right.
I see my consultant again on Wednesday and my husband is coming with me to fight my corner! Will let you know how I get on.

Please do, I hope to goodness you don't have a leak, I was hoping the sickness early on was inevitable, now I'm not so sure
I just had 2 tsp of soup and I'm on the loo (apologies) I'm scared to have anything if I need to leave the house

I know what you mean, it is very restrictive. I had to go out today food shopping and only just made it home before I was sick.

Been to the consultant today and he is going to do an endoscopy on Friday. Not sure what it is, it could be ulcers, stricture, sleeve too narrow or nothing just need more time. Will let you know how I get on on Friday.

Please do, I'm thinking about having a sleeve instead of a band, so I'm in the process of weighing up the pros & cons.

I hope you feel better soon and get some answers xx

The problems I have had are not normal and I am looking at it as a small setback. If I had the choice I would do it again, since the start if my weight loss journey I have lost over 4 stone. Once I know what the problem is I can then make progress and get over this blip.

Mrsduck

I have read about far more complications with the band than I have with the sleeve I had a sleeve almost 2 weeks ago and I would go it again, it's rough in the first few days but once it's done it's done, no messing about with fills etc, I've had sickness and the runs but that's Normal following the type of surgery I've had

Xx

Thanks for replying Adrienne... I've been catching up on your posts just now.. People don't realise how invaluable this site really is. You seem to be going ok now, although in pain the first few days, but as you say, it's to be expected. You're right in that there are far more complications with a band, it's just the removal of my stomach I can't get my head around at the minute.. I'm 60/40 towards the sleeve at present, but I need to sleep on it and do more research.

Did you go private or nhs? It may say on your profile but I'm on my phone at the mo x

I went private

Everyone is so individual, you have to do as you say research and then make your choice, my surgeon really helped me decide what would work best for me, by discussing my current eating habits etc he helped me to choose that he felt I would find easiest to cope with In The long term and get the best from

I believe I made the right choice, but only time will tell x

I had my surgery on the NHS. Originally I was booked for the gastric bypass and unfortunately my liver and spleen were enlarged which complicated my surgery so my surgeon had to switch to the sleeve. I have to say following my surgery when I was told I had had the sleeve it was very strange. I struggled with the knowledge that my stomach had been removed for good, no going back. Although I had consented to this surgery if my surgeon could not do the bypass I still felt overwhelmed. It took a few days for me to come to terms with the loss, this is how it felt. I had done lots of research into bypass surgery but none on the sleeve. The advice I give is research every operation so it is not a shock once the surgery has been carried out. I am fine now with having no stomach, but I did struggle for a while.

On another note I woke up this morning feeling great, felt great at work and thought at last I am over whatever it was that was causing me so much discomfort and maybe I don't need the endoscopy tomorrow. That is until I started eating, as the day went on I felt worse, couldn't eat lunch or a snack this afternoon. Hopefully once I have the procedure tomorrow I will know what is going on. I will post as soon as I am able following my procedure.

Didn't go so well. Consultant tried to put the scope down but I vomited, there was undies dead food in my stomach from 16 hours earlier (day before) and I had not eaten much then. I was transferred to another hospital and had a CT scan. Still waiting for the results but was allowed home for 4 hours, tomorrow I see the consultant and he will attempt the scope again probably with a general. Keep you posted, on way back to hospital now. X

Oh no!
You poor thing! That would make me sick even if I had been perfectly well!
God bless and good luck for tomorrow cx

Hi,

How are you?

Hope you're feeling better x

Back