• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

GP

Katie84

Hi, i am seeing my GP today at 06.30pm and i am really worried, my BMI is too low at 45 for the guidelines which is 50 for my area but i am still going to try for a referral, what did you people say to your doctor? i am going to explain how i feel and how my weight is effecting me but i know i am going to cry and dont know how to get my point across of how much i need this and how much i have looked in to it, especially with the help of on here.

Thanks

be totally honest and cry (that helps in my opinion!). Tell him/her about your life struggle with your weight and how this really is your last resort and that you have researched it thoroughly and you know all the good and bad bits. Also, if you have any other comorbidities such as high blood pressure, sleep apnea or osteo arthritis or pcos, or type 2 diabetes, that will work in your favour - good luck

Thanks i dont have any of those, my cholesterol is 5.9 so isnt too high, i think i need to be tested for diabetes again as i keep weeing a lot and there is 2 aunts and 2 uncles on my mums side that have it, i hope he doesnt refuse again :(

Good luck for later. My Doctor referred me even though I didn't meet the criteria. (I was turned down by the pct) I think you can just ask to be referred but your Doctor would probably present a better case for you if they really believed you need help. If he refuses you could ask to see another Doctor.

I just told me doctor that I really needed some help and she could see from my medical record that I have tried all other ways of dieting. My BMI is quite high but I do not have other comorbidities and I got referred. Just be honest with your GP. If your GP says no, then I would ask them what else can you do. Follow their advise and if that does not work, go back to them again and ask for a surgical referral again. Good luck for tonight.

Good luck xx

Got back not long ago, doctor is referring me to Rotherham Institute of Obesity (RIO) apparently the only one in the country where they will weigh me, do a sleep apnoea test and advise me what is best to loose weight including referring me for surgery, doctor said i should have an appointment written to me in about 3 weeks time, so hopefully they will refer me, he did say i had no chance of surgery if my BMI is under 45 which its only slightly under so i will have to wait and see :)

at least he is helping you out and im glad he didnt turn u away, hope u get ur letter very soon xx

Hi Katie

I was in the same position as you just under 45 last appointment.Have now ate my way to 46 and had a letter from my obstitrician supporting wls as I have had a bladder prolapse op and a pelvic floor repair done and my prolapse has come back due to my weight.All I can suggest is eat more and hope your bmi goes up over Xmas!Crazy I know.If they apply for funding and its refused I will ask my gp to apply for me.Do you suffer with depression?That helps,I was suicidal and finally got refered to weight management,which I have done for 15 months now.Best of luck its a long hard slog!Maz x

:)Hi Katie,
So glad your GP listened to you this time -
at least it's a start & you are making progress -

I also have a fight on my hands - Just under the criteria & no comorbidities - just getting bigger every day!

Hope your letter comes soon

Back