• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

IS THIS NORMAL ? Really nervous and Scared

emma-louise

my new life!!
hello everyone,

Here goes.......
Im having my operation in 3 weeks,at salford hospital under dr ammori(but another surgeon is doing it)which is making me nervous as I was hoping for ammori,(as hes got the best rep)as this happened to anyone else ?
Anyway the thing is today Ive been feeling very nervous and scared.

The past weeks I have been actually excited about my life Im about to start! I mean this chance of surgery is a gift,a chance of being able to do things Ive only ever dreamed off...
Play with my children,walk without being out of breath,tie my shoes..and lots more silly things normal people do with ease.

But having 2 small children,and a man I love dearly Im terribly frightened about this operation and whats its really going to be like afterwards.
Im worried if Im going to be in lots of pain when Im home from hospital,cooking the foods I need to eat..etc
Ive done so much research and reading on this site,my head has headache.

I know this is probely normal to be like this,but Im still very nervous,and when I read about silly people saying this is the easy way out of loosing weight,they are sooo wrong!
This has been the hardest decision I have ever had to make,as it not only affects me but my family.

This web-site has been so helpful,and I want to thank you all..

Hugs

Hia Sweety.

First off: BIG HUGS!
:hug99::hug99::grouphugg::grouphugg::grouphugg::gen126::gen126::gen126::gen126:

then, yes, of course you're normal. I also had a change of surgeon 4 weeks pre-op which made me nervous...and then there's all the other stuff to consider as reality begins to sink in....

.....it is so scary! What will it be like, how will I feel; how will I cope; how will I deal without comfort food as my crutch; how will my family feel/cope; will I survive; will there be complications?

I went through all of this and more.....

and Yes, I had a rough time post-op, and yes, it's still early days and I'm still learning how to cope and will be for MANY months to come.....which is why I haunt this site so much!

But would I do it all over again? In a heartbeat! I've already lost 10 pounds and several inches...I'm feeling so much better, people are already noticing..

it's worth it honey. You feel free to ask for help, support and advice any time you need it.
Hugs again
Charis xxx

thanks charis,

i feel so lonely at the minute in my family,as nobody really knows what Im feeling.
My husband is very supportive,my mum is making me worry as shes asking me all the time if Im still set on the idea.
Even though shes nagged me about my weight for all these years!
Did your surgery go well? and what was it like when you was home(I mean pain wise..lol)
do you find following your eating plan easy ? I mean it all seems a lot to follow..or am I wrong.

thanks again x

thanks charis,

i feel so lonely at the minute in my family,as nobody really knows what Im feeling.
My husband is very supportive,my mum is making me worry as shes asking me all the time if Im still set on the idea.
Even though shes nagged me about my weight for all these years!
Did your surgery go well? and what was it like when you was home(I mean pain wise..lol)
do you find following your eating plan easy ? I mean it all seems a lot to follow..or am I wrong.

thanks again x
Hia honey
my surgery was fine but I did have some complications which meant they took me back for a second look...they were being cautious - and because I react badly to anaesthetic I then had a bad time...but that is rare (I was only the second person in 18 months to have to go back)
once home, pain is not a big issue at all - it's more wind and nausea (but again I do get nauseous very easily)
the eating plan is easy to follow, it just gets boring!
The dietician will give you lots of advice and tips and you can ask all your questions, + the team are on the end of a phone.
Your mum is bound to be worried, that goes with being a mum!
But what would your health be like if you did nothing?
Emma-Louise, I wish i'd been able to do this 25 years ago...I'm 50 and I feel like my life is just begining in many ways.
xxxxxxx

Hi Emma, Im due to have surgery just after you with Mr Ammori so I know how you are feeling :D Dont worry about not having Mr Ammori as anyone who is on his team will have been trained by him to his high standards. I know Other people have had other surgeons on his team and are very happy with the results. Gail off this forum had the lady surgeon, cant remember her name but she is well pleased with the results, she has lost loads of weight with (as far as I know) no problems :D The fact you are not having Ammori might be a good thing, I had to have him as I have loads of other medical problems. So maybe the reason you are having someone else is because he thinks you are quite low risk :D which is deffinately good!
Try and stay positve its normal to be worried. I go from giddy and excited to depressed and scared lol. My poor family :eek:
(HUGS) X

Hi Emma-Louise. sorry that you are feeling so down. I do think it is normal. especially when you look at your sleeping children and family and wonder what if. I had a choice of having my op at Salford Royal or the Spire. I chose the Spire as I thought it would be quicker. Due to needing therapy etc it has taken far longer, but, I think I've been through many of the emotions you are going through now during my journey. I have to admit at present I feel quite calm. However, I do know that's how I tend to react until the day of or after the event. I'm waiting until Friday for it all to hit, maybe it will hit after I've got through Wednesdays ordeal?

I was devastated when my surgeon was changed to Mr Li, but he seems very nice and competenent and trained under Mr Ammori. Do you know if Mr Ammori will be in the theatre or is it his registrar or another surgeon who will be doing the op?

People who think wlsurgery is the easy way out have no idea. Most of them have not had to agonise about what if?? Most of them have not lost weight and put it on time and time again. They haven't had to face distressed children who have overheard others making derogatory comments about their mom. We are an easy target for others to pick on. Be proud of who you are and what you have achieved and the fact you have taken a decision to take control of your life. Cuddle your children and husband and remember why you started this journey and imagine where you will be this time next year. I know without the op I probably wouldn't see my children grow up. With the grace of God now I will.

Sending lots of hugs.

love

Rebirth xx

Hi,

Have you attended the Salford support group? It has an excellent reputation and it would be a good thing for you right now, meet loads of people under the same hospital and surgeon at all different stages. I think the next meeting is this wednesday, if you want details I can find them out for you :)

Emma you would not be a normal person if you were not worried about your surgery!

If i were you i'd try and go to the support group Shel mentioned. I go to a support group and it's been invaluable to me pre and post op!

You've done your research and know what could come up and also how to deal with anything. We are with you all the way! As for your mom, if she didn't question you i think she'd be the 'odd' one! You are going to be fine, they don't let the YTS boys do the important stuff....

As for afterwards, i hope you have it as easy as i did, but my motto is this, expect the worse and it can only be better. Utilise all the help you can at home so you can concentrate on getting fitter and on with your weight loss journey. I will watch your progress with interest xxx

Hi there
I think your feelings are absolutely normal and we have all been through the same thing. I cancelled one op last year and regretted it almost from the moment I made the call to cancel. It's not always an easy ride but it is so worth it and you will be very glad you went ahead.
Try to focus on how your life will be with the op and then without it. Also there are many sites talking about every little possible thing that can go wrong but most people don't have that experience at all. I sometimes think the internet is the best and worst for the sharing of information. Whoever does your op will be extremely competent and very skilled with a whole team supporting them and that team will continue to help you through the days ahead.
Just get yourself to the op and hang on in there. You won't regret it
Love to you
Jo XX

hi shelbell,

yes Ive been to the salford meeting,it was very good.
Infact I feel so much better today,its good I can come on this site!
xx

Am glad that you are feeling a bit better today. Will you be at the meeting on Wednesday?

Back