• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

IS THIS NORMAL...

JED

Hi im nearly 6 weeks post op and this is my daily intake of food 7 days a week. 2 bananas 2 apples 1small tin of mackrel 2 pints of semi skimmed milk and 1 slice of toast spread with dairylea and maybe 5-6 cups of tea-coffee throughout the day although i feel fine it dosent seem much to be living on. to date ive lost 58lb and as i say i feel absolutley fine

I'm not gonna moan but this doesn't sound enough to me, where's the protein which is very important. I tin of fish isn't enough, also wheres the variation? sorry don't wanna moan but I'm worried about your diet, not diet as losing weight but diet as in healthy living

My Goodness ... I am concerned about this diet , there doesnt seem to be much nutritional value for you , has this diet been recommended by your team ? I am pre op ,and so i dont have the benefit of experience , but i have done a alot of research ... maybe you could have a chat with some of the long term post oppers ,also , have a look at the recipes on here .... sorry to be negative , you have achieved a large amount of weight loss, which is wonderful ....however .... One of the long term side effects of weight loss surgery (as told by my team) is osteoporosis , so it is so important to get that protein and calcium and of course all your vitamins and minerals ... I do hope that someone comes along with so steadfast advice for you ... all the best xx

Hi im nearly 6 weeks post op and this is my daily intake of food 7 days a week. 2 bananas 2 apples 1small tin of mackrel 2 pints of semi skimmed milk and 1 slice of toast spread with dairylea and maybe 5-6 cups of tea-coffee throughout the day although i feel fine it dosent seem much to be living on. to date ive lost 58lb and as i say i feel absolutley fine

Okay honestly now. You have lost 4 stone in weight, brilliant. But your diet sucks. The milk is good, the fish is good, if you hadn't had a gastric bypass i could live with the fruit as being good as well but i'm sorry you have had a bypass and your first priority is nutrition. The fruit needs to be a snack not a meal which i'm guessing it is been used for.

You should be aiming for protein at every meal, and you don't need the carbs especially so early out. You may find as you get further along your journey you may want some but not this early.

Try and find a good source of protein in every meal, it sounds like you can eat most things so it shouldn't be a problem. If we can offer any advice please shout, we are all here to help, we're on this ride together x

Hi to be honest i dont really know what foods are protien or carbs can anyone maybe point me in the right direction im only eating what im eating now cause i feel comfortable after eating them as i said im very naieve about what foods i should really be eating. thanks

Jed i hope this helps, if others can add to it then brilliant :)

Protein:

Meat (aim for lean meat - fat n bypass don't mix lol)
Fish (fresh or tinned)
Cheese (aim for the lower fat one if cheddar so as to keep calories down but protein still good), cottage cheese, yoghurts
Eggs

Carbs: (if you must have them go for wholemeal bread/rice/pasta if you can its better for you)

potato
rice
bread
pasta

Ideally (and you can get ideas from the food section of the site as to what people are eating) this is what i'd like my daily food to be like :)

Breakfast = scrambled or poached egg, a bit of lean bacon if you fancy it, maybe a couple of dry fried/grilled mushrooms or tomatoes.

Lunch= tuna and salad (maybe again throw a bit of boiled egg in it or a bit of grated cheddar)

Dinner= Chicken or a chop with vegetables (as you get further out you may want a little bit of potato with it)

Snacks= to ensure you get enough protein a few nuts maybe or babybel light cheeses or dairylea light triangle, maybe some cottage cheese or a low fat yoghurt?

As it is always remember, always eat protein first, then go for the veg and then and only then if you still have room have some carbs, but ideally you'll be full from the protein and veg.

Hope this helps and if it helps and you do facebook feel free to add me, i'll help as much as i can x [email protected] is my email to use to find me on facebook

Hi to be honest i dont really know what foods are protien or carbs can anyone maybe point me in the right direction im only eating what im eating now cause i feel comfortable after eating them as i said im very naieve about what foods i should really be eating. thanks

Phatmomma has give u some fab advice/guidelines hun,was u given a post op diet sheet?? Also your dietician should be on hands to give u any advice u need.xx

Last edited:
Hi jed, I to have had some issues with getting in the protein. I have used the following to help guide me in the right direction;

Advice from other post oppers
BOSPA website
My Weight loss team
Fitness pal (used by many from this site) will tally protein intake for you
Weight loss surgery cookbook for dummies (it's more than just a cookbook)

It's not easy, every meal has to be properly thought out. But I am sure that when we have been doing it for a while it will come a lot more naturally.

Good luck

Julie

Back