• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I've been saved!!!

I'll just start with a very brief history.
I was banded in Oct 2007 in Prague. The operation and recovery went very well but although I was promised unlimited aftercare by the company I used, it turned out that they were very reluctant to fill my band and implied that having a fill was a weakness and that I wasn't totally dedicated if I required one. Consequently, I lost 6 stone without any fills at all, desperate to make it work because I'd used money that had been left to me by my mum and dad who had recently passed away. I didn't want to let them down.
I subsequently went on to have 3 fills done with another company but at £100 a time, I didn't feel they made much difference. I evetually reached my target July 2008.
My last fill was in 2009, but having put almost 3 stone back on (due I think to the lack of understanding of what a band is all about) I recently
decided to have a fill done and resume my weight loss journey. Unfortunately, when the nurse tried to extract any fluid, she found that nothing would come out. She assumed wrongly that there was a hole in the tube, and continued to push more and more fluid into the band.
On the way home I began to feel very uncomfortable and had difficulty swallowing my own saliva. This continued over the next couple of days, with the added complication of not being able to withdraw the surplus fluid out. I was eventually referred to Mr Basil Ammouri (a wonderful man!) who tried his best to get the fluid out, but when he couldn't he arranged for me to be admitted to hospital immediately to go on a drip, and he operated on me a couple of days later. He managed to save my band (there had been a kink in it) and replaced some of it. I'm now recovering at home.
I'm so grateful to him and also I feel I've been given another chance with my band. I've found this forum which I'm finding invaluable for advice and support. I've also been offered support from the hospital and now I feel I'm having the proper aftercare that was lacking before. My original company just did the operation and then left me.
Hope I've not harped on for too long.

Hi Basketcase

Aww what a terrible time you had with it all. But, now you are on the right track and Im sure you'll get the results you want.

Good luck on your journey to the new slimmer, happier you

x

Thanks everyone for your support. This forum is wonderful. I wanted to emphasise how important the aftercare package is, particularly for band-users. This should play an essential part in any decisions about which company to choose to do the operation.

Sounds awful! Poor you :( did you have to go private for the corrective operation? x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Oh hope your okay hun, Mr Ammouri is fab, he's my consultant, glad you got sorted xxx

Good to hear you are getting some help now :)

Thanks everyone for your kind words and support. The corrective surgery was done on the NHS mainly,I think, because it was an emergency situation because I couldn't swallow anything. That's what concerns me a little though; I certainly can't afford any more private surgery, so what do you do if there's something wrong with your band but its not life-threatening?
Thanks again everyone.

There is a stern word of warning there to be listened to by anyone considering going abroad for wls!

Thank you so much for sharing and am so very happy you found us and are continuing on your journey with us all xxx

Yes hear hear. Good quality aftercare is essential to take into account when making decisions about who to choose to do your operation. Particularly so with bands because so many things can go wrong with them a few years down the line and you don't want to be in the position that I find myself in.

So glad you are on the mend ... what a terrible experience you have had especially after the trauma of losing your mum & dad. Hope all goes smoothly for you now & welcome to this fabulous, supportive forum xxx :)

Thank you very much. This site is an answer to my prayers (have got it on my phone as well but it won't allow me to respond so I have to wait till I can get on the computer. Don't know if I'm doing anything wrong?)

I'm pleased all has worked out for you...Best wishes for the future.

Take Care

Andy x

Back