• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

January 2014 surgeries

Out for tea with my family tonight, chicken and raw slaw, probably ate just a bit too much but then made the mistake of taking a mouthful of water. Oucha min, initially very sore and then intermittently sore for about an hour. Had I been at home think I might have tried to make myself sick!! Silly, silly women - won't be doing that again!!

On the plus side, went clothes shopping (no need for Evans now) tried on 8 tops and all but one fitted - so chuffed (bought 4 of them :))

Hope you lovelies are all well x

Out for tea with my family tonight, chicken and raw slaw, probably ate just a bit too much but then made the mistake of taking a mouthful of water. Oucha min, initially very sore and then intermittently sore for about an hour. Had I been at home think I might have tried to make myself sick!! Silly, silly women - won't be doing that again!! On the plus side, went clothes shopping (no need for Evans now) tried on 8 tops and all but one fitted - so chuffed (bought 4 of them :)) Hope you lovelies are all well x

Well done on out shrinking Evans... X

Out for tea with my family tonight, chicken and raw slaw, probably ate just a bit too much but then made the mistake of taking a mouthful of water. Oucha min, initially very sore and then intermittently sore for about an hour. Had I been at home think I might have tried to make myself sick!! Silly, silly women - won't be doing that again!!

On the plus side, went clothes shopping (no need for Evans now) tried on 8 tops and all but one fitted - so chuffed (bought 4 of them :))

Hope you lovelies are all well x

Old habits hun....it's easy to forget how slowly you have to eat & the small pieces that you chew to mush...I've got my kids to try doing what I do so they understand that I can't rush & as I'm so slow, it kinda slows them down as well.

On the brighterside, au revoir Evans, hello rest of High Street xx

Old habits hun....it's easy to forget how slowly you have to eat & the small pieces that you chew to mush...I've got my kids to try doing what I do so they understand that I can't rush & as I'm so slow, it kinda slows them down as well.

On the brighterside, au revoir Evans, hello rest of High Street xx

Your right, old habits! I'm lucky in that my daughter takes a year to eat anything so we are now on an even par! My son on the other hand is a Hoover........

Oh it was lovely being able to bypass evans - it's the small things ;)

Great news on slimming out of Evans :)

previous bander, revision to by pass.

Good luck with work tomorrow Clare x

OMG I've just joined a gym.

Hey guys n gals how are we all doing?

I went for my 6 week check up yesterday..1 1/2 stone loss (was a wee bit disappointed! ) and when they went to do the fill she wasnt able to get the needle into the centre of the port..she said it felt like the side of it..so im waiting on a date to see surgeon hoping its not too long as really need a bit of restriction!

Has any1 ever had this happen? I really hope it hasnt flipped!!

Hey guys n gals how are we all doing?

I went for my 6 week check up yesterday..1 1/2 stone loss (was a wee bit disappointed! ) and when they went to do the fill she wasnt able to get the needle into the centre of the port..she said it felt like the side of it..so im waiting on a date to see surgeon hoping its not too long as really need a bit of restriction!

Has any1 ever had this happen? I really hope it hasnt flipped!!

You can manipulate them easily! Mine used to turn, you can turn them yourself grrrrr, why didn't she do this? What a waste of time for you. If you lay on your back n raise your legs, you can feel it, gently massage it over.

Bit late joining this thread but I had my gastric bypass done on the 28th January this year so I suppose I just qualify! I have had the most awful experience and only feel well enough to talk about it now. I was offered the bypass after a failed gastric band was removed last April. Like some of you on here, mine had been strangled by scar tissue, constant acid reflux, vomiting, dilated oesophagus etc Jumped at the chance of a 2nd bariatric surgery on the NHS.
A day after bypass I spiked a temp and my blood tests were coming back abnormal. Was told I was going to be sent for a CT scan. On the 2nd day was told that the CT scanning machine was fully booked and there was no time to loose. My surgeon wanted to take me back to surgery for an exploratory and open up laparoscopy sites. Alarm bells were ringing and I went down for 2nd surgery in great distress and panic.
Woke up in recovery 5 hours later to find I have been opened up from my breastbone to belly button and was hooked up to every machine going with tubes everywhere and was in excruciating pain. Turned out my surgeon had opened me up laparotomically as he found my bowel had twisted and had to be laid out on operating table and carefully put back. If it had continued it would have gone gangrenous and killed me. In addition, I was now fighting chest and urine infections.
I then developed paralytic ileus whereby your bowel goes to sleep and shuts down. This was by far the worst bit and I was seriously ill for 5-6 days where I felt like I wasn't going to make it. Constant vomiting of green bile and feeling nauseous all the time occurred as well as severe pain from constipation. As I was able to keep nothing down I was very dehydrated and my electrolytes were all over the place. They tried 4 phosphorous enemas to no avail, and then laxatives. On day 19 of no bowel movement I finally went. However the sickness and temperature didn't. My veins all collapsed and my arms swelled up and were veep painful. I was given large injections into the muscles of my thighs for the sickness.
After 2 weeks of constant sickness they decided to give me a CT scan which revealed my "old" tummy was swollen and distended, full of nasty gases and bile which could not escape due to the ileus. I was offered a drain into this redundant tummy but I refused as I could not face another surgical procedure and once my bowels started moving, the sickness started to become less frequent.
Finally I was allowed home with anti-sickness pills and pain killers. I had severe oedema in my legs and developed a hole in my tummy caused by all the pressure from constant vomiting on my sutures, which oozed constantly. The hole turned out to be 6cm deep and I am under the care of the district nurses who come every day to pack it with seaweed dressings and Manuka honey. It is the size of a 2p piece and I am severely restricted in what I can do as I don't want the hole to enlarge. Nurses have put me back on laxatives as I am averaging 1 bowel movement every 5 days and they say straining is not good for my wound. I also developed insomnia as I was frightened to go to sleep and kept having nightmares? GP prescribed sleeping pills and have finally weaned myself off them. Said it was a form of PTSD.
So that is my story so far! My surgeon told me his complication rate was 0.2%. I never in my wildest dreams thought I would be one of those 2 people in every 1000!
If I had known then what I was going to go through, I would never have gone ahead with the operation, but hindsight is a great thing.
I suffered terribly with the band and scar tissue and now the bypass has been a living nightmare. I put my family through hell as they thought they were going to loose me at one point.
The only positive is I seem to be 2stone 12lbs down in 5 weeks. I know I have to make a good thing out of a bad situation. Can't wait for hole to heal so I can get out and about again and drive as I live in the middle of no where and have to rely on friends. Weight loss stalled for 11 days but back on track this morning. I have to make this work. Have been through so much to let it fail again, so I really need your support and words of wisdom!

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

Mine is in my chest does this make a diff? I think she was aware it waa hurting me tho I thought I was hiding it well haha x

Mine was in chest but as I lost weight it slipped down slightly n became more lose. Can u manipulate at all or is it tight?

Hello lovelies. Had my 6 week check yesterday. ( at 8 weeks out I think!) it went well. Told my loss is 1st 11lbs and pretty standard for a revisioner. It's been confirmed that having previously lived with a tight band as well as being at the lower end of the BMI scale I can't expect a quick weightloss. I was told to up my calories/ intake to help me lose though!!!

More good news is I've started salsa dancing again and plan to go back to horsey riding in a few weeks. ALSO I'm officially a lady of leisure as I've accepted a settlement from my job following poor treatment during pregnancy and maternity. Fifteen long years and now I'm free of having to return to a stressful, underpaid, unappreciated job. So pleased I've shut that door. Time to open a new one and make some positive changes :)
Another baby perhaps!!!!!!!?????!!!! ;-)

Back