• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

January 2014 surgeries

well done on the losses ladies!!

roccosmummy, well done on your settlement, it is liberating, I was made redundant from my job in October due to sickness levels and caring for my hubby, and even though at the time I was absolutely distraught, now I'm happy, stress free, officially a carer for my hubby now and making cakes as a hobby/small business and I'll never look back!! xx :)

Hello lovelies. Had my 6 week check yesterday. ( at 8 weeks out I think!) it went well. Told my loss is 1st 11lbs and pretty standard for a revisioner. It's been confirmed that having previously lived with a tight band as well as being at the lower end of the BMI scale I can't expect a quick weightloss. I was told to up my calories/ intake to help me lose though!!! More good news is I've started salsa dancing again and plan to go back to horsey riding in a few weeks. ALSO I'm officially a lady of leisure as I've accepted a settlement from my job following poor treatment during pregnancy and maternity. Fifteen long years and now I'm free of having to return to a stressful, underpaid, unappreciated job. So pleased I've shut that door. Time to open a new one and make some positive changes :) Another baby perhaps!!!!!!!?????!!!! ;-)

Wow! Sounds all good. Glad it's all going well x

Hello lovelies. Had my 6 week check yesterday. ( at 8 weeks out I think!) it went well. Told my loss is 1st 11lbs and pretty standard for a revisioner. It's been confirmed that having previously lived with a tight band as well as being at the lower end of the BMI scale I can't expect a quick weightloss. I was told to up my calories/ intake to help me lose though!!!

More good news is I've started salsa dancing again and plan to go back to horsey riding in a few weeks. ALSO I'm officially a lady of leisure as I've accepted a settlement from my job following poor treatment during pregnancy and maternity. Fifteen long years and now I'm free of having to return to a stressful, underpaid, unappreciated job. So pleased I've shut that door. Time to open a new one and make some positive changes :)
Another baby perhaps!!!!!!!?????!!!! ;-)

Go girl. Pleased for you xxxx

previous bander, revision to by pass.

Hey guys n gals how are we all doing? I went for my 6 week check up yesterday..1 1/2 stone loss (was a wee bit disappointed! ) and when they went to do the fill she wasnt able to get the needle into the centre of the port..she said it felt like the side of it..so im waiting on a date to see surgeon hoping its not too long as really need a bit of restriction! Has any1 ever had this happen? I really hope it hasnt flipped!!
Hi Nicola sorry to read your of your port problem. Mine was difficult to locate at first as it had moved and after prodding me with a needle a couple of time they were successful at locating the right spot. They put in another 1ml which is 4ml now. Was your surgeon not at your review?

Not sure where on here to put this but think we've mentioned sugar free syrups here previously??

Today I found 'Artisan' Coffee Roasters syrups made with Splenda in Home Sense ( part of TKMaxx) £3.99 each. I bought Tiramisu, Kulua and chocolate. Bargain :) happy happy me!

Not sure where on here to put this but think we've mentioned sugar free syrups here previously??

Today I found 'Artisan' Coffee Roasters syrups made with Splenda in Home Sense ( part of TKMaxx) £3.99 each. I bought Tiramisu, Kulua and chocolate. Bargain :) happy happy me!

Where did u buy them Hun ?

HOMESENSE!!!!!!!!! Tkmaxx might sell them too

Lol I read it again n saw lol. Don't know any homesense stores :/ ill peep in tk max next time I'm nearby. Never seen things like this tho x

Bit late joining this thread but I had my gastric bypass done on the 28th January this year so I suppose I just qualify! I have had the most awful experience and only feel well enough to talk about it now. I was offered the bypass after a failed gastric band was removed last April. Like some of you on here, mine had been strangled by scar tissue, constant acid reflux, vomiting, dilated oesophagus etc Jumped at the chance of a 2nd bariatric surgery on the NHS. A day after bypass I spiked a temp and my blood tests were coming back abnormal. Was told I was going to be sent for a CT scan. On the 2nd day was told that the CT scanning machine was fully booked and there was no time to loose. My surgeon wanted to take me back to surgery for an exploratory and open up laparoscopy sites. Alarm bells were ringing and I went down for 2nd surgery in great distress and panic. Woke up in recovery 5 hours later to find I have been opened up from my breastbone to belly button and was hooked up to every machine going with tubes everywhere and was in excruciating pain. Turned out my surgeon had opened me up laparotomically as he found my bowel had twisted and had to be laid out on operating table and carefully put back. If it had continued it would have gone gangrenous and killed me. In addition, I was now fighting chest and urine infections. I then developed paralytic ileus whereby your bowel goes to sleep and shuts down. This was by far the worst bit and I was seriously ill for 5-6 days where I felt like I wasn't going to make it. Constant vomiting of green bile and feeling nauseous all the time occurred as well as severe pain from constipation. As I was able to keep nothing down I was very dehydrated and my electrolytes were all over the place. They tried 4 phosphorous enemas to no avail, and then laxatives. On day 19 of no bowel movement I finally went. However the sickness and temperature didn't. My veins all collapsed and my arms swelled up and were veep painful. I was given large injections into the muscles of my thighs for the sickness. After 2 weeks of constant sickness they decided to give me a CT scan which revealed my "old" tummy was swollen and distended, full of nasty gases and bile which could not escape due to the ileus. I was offered a drain into this redundant tummy but I refused as I could not face another surgical procedure and once my bowels started moving, the sickness started to become less frequent. Finally I was allowed home with anti-sickness pills and pain killers. I had severe oedema in my legs and developed a hole in my tummy caused by all the pressure from constant vomiting on my sutures, which oozed constantly. The hole turned out to be 6cm deep and I am under the care of the district nurses who come every day to pack it with seaweed dressings and Manuka honey. It is the size of a 2p piece and I am severely restricted in what I can do as I don't want the hole to enlarge. Nurses have put me back on laxatives as I am averaging 1 bowel movement every 5 days and they say straining is not good for my wound. I also developed insomnia as I was frightened to go to sleep and kept having nightmares? GP prescribed sleeping pills and have finally weaned myself off them. Said it was a form of PTSD. So that is my story so far! My surgeon told me his complication rate was 0.2%. I never in my wildest dreams thought I would be one of those 2 people in every 1000! If I had known then what I was going to go through, I would never have gone ahead with the operation, but hindsight is a great thing. I suffered terribly with the band and scar tissue and now the bypass has been a living nightmare. I put my family through hell as they thought they were going to loose me at one point. The only positive is I seem to be 2stone 12lbs down in 5 weeks. I know I have to make a good thing out of a bad situation. Can't wait for hole to heal so I can get out and about again and drive as I live in the middle of no where and have to rely on friends. Weight loss stalled for 11 days but back on track this morning. I have to make this work. Have been through so much to let it fail again, so I really need your support and words of wisdom! Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

Oh my word what an horrendous time you have had Sharie65!!!!
Just wanted to send you big hugs and hopefully the future now looks brighter for you!!! I am sure the wound won't take too long to heal once it starts (I'm a district nurse!!). And I am sure in time you will feel you made the right decision about your surgery - i do hope so!!!
I had a sleeve on 3rd jan 2014, so am 8 weeks post op, and must say I have been really lucky with my recovery - just wish my bowels would be a bit more frequent!!! Sorry too much information!!!!
Keep your chin up, and I wish you all the luck on your recovery from now on!!! Keep me posted!!!
Take care, love sal xxx

Gosh u have been through it Hun. I've been through the same with my band n have had two years of major ops n being ill. Now I've had my by pass I'm flying. So sorry uve had a rough rude n hope that from now on u can recover n lose the weight so the horrors are in the past.
Stay well and positive now x

Hi Nicola sorry to read your of your port problem. Mine was difficult to locate at first as it had moved and after prodding me with a needle a couple of time they were successful at locating the right spot. They put in another 1ml which is 4ml now. Was your surgeon not at your review?

Hi corgi... he was meant to be there but 1 of his kids was ill so he couldnt make it. Emily tried a couple of times but im going to see mr kirk in the ulster on fri morn so fingers crossed. I really feel like I need a fill...how have you found it since you had urs? X

When I had my band did take a few fills before I found my sweet spot
I had a 9ml band and my sweet spot was 6.5 mls
Good luck give it time you band will become your best friend
Take care

oh my word sharie65, you have had a rough time of it all, makes me feel guilty about whining about a bit of pain lol xx hopefully now you are home you will recover soon and be back to yourself in no time xxx

I'm so sorry for all you have been through Sharie, I can't imagine the mix of emotions and fear you must have gone through (and no doubt are still going through) not to mention the pain and trauma of the surgery. You've had an incredibly tough time and I can't wait for things to get better for you and to hear about all your successes. I wish you all the very very best and am cheering for you in every way possible. xxx

Hi corgi... he was meant to be there but 1 of his kids was ill so he couldnt make it. Emily tried a couple of times but im going to see mr kirk in the ulster on fri morn so fingers crossed. I really feel like I need a fill...how have you found it since you had urs? X
It's definitely reducing the size of my meals. Although I've had a few problems with food(red meat) getting stuck. Also if I eat too much it's horrible feeling and must come back up. However happy with progress so far. 1lb more and I will have lost 3stone yippee

Thank you ladies for your kind words of support. I'm just grateful to have survived and to be getting better. I just wish I was as well as all you lot who had surgeries in January. A friend took me shopping today and I walked around 2 large stores and I was absolutely shattered. Tonight I feel sick with tiredness. Think I overdid it but am annoyed that a simple thing like walking around stores shopping has completely wiped me out. Yesterday I walked to my daughters school to surprise her as the sun was shining and I'm suffering really bad cabin fever. 20mins there and 20 mins back down a country, very muddy track. Again I was exhausted when we got home. Feel like I need to stay at home and rest tomorrow. Have been having an afternoon sleep as I get so tired but have missed it the last 2 days! I'm 5 weeks post-op after 2 major abdominal surgeries within 2 days of each other ( one was the bypass). I really thought I'd be feeling better than I do right now and am frustrated at my slow rate of progress. The 2nd open surgery on my bowel has really set me back.
Just want to be well again and fit. District nurse said wound is healing nicely although there is still a large hole in my tummy. Picked up a prescription from chemist and doctors have got it all wrong. Given me lansoprazole capsules 15mg instead of 30mg fast tabs and iron tablets instead of syrup. Really annoyed as it's such an effort to get back to chemist.
Want to know when did you start your B12 injections as district nurses said they would do it for me while I'm under their care instead of going to surgery? Been told I need 1 every 3 months.
Well enough feeling sorry for myself. Just had to vent it! Hopefully tomorrow I can rest and try and get my mojo back!

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

hi all not been about for a few weeks hope your all doing ok and recovering well i wont read all the missed comments take forever with best wishes

Thank you ladies for your kind words of support. I'm just grateful to have survived and to be getting better. I just wish I was as well as all you lot who had surgeries in January. A friend took me shopping today and I walked around 2 large stores and I was absolutely shattered. Tonight I feel sick with tiredness. Think I overdid it but am annoyed that a simple thing like walking around stores shopping has completely wiped me out. Yesterday I walked to my daughters school to surprise her as the sun was shining and I'm suffering really bad cabin fever. 20mins there and 20 mins back down a country, very muddy track. Again I was exhausted when we got home. Feel like I need to stay at home and rest tomorrow. Have been having an afternoon sleep as I get so tired but have missed it the last 2 days! I'm 5 weeks post-op after 2 major abdominal surgeries within 2 days of each other ( one was the bypass). I really thought I'd be feeling better than I do right now and am frustrated at my slow rate of progress. The 2nd open surgery on my bowel has really set me back. Just want to be well again and fit. District nurse said wound is healing nicely although there is still a large hole in my tummy. Picked up a prescription from chemist and doctors have got it all wrong. Given me lansoprazole capsules 15mg instead of 30mg fast tabs and iron tablets instead of syrup. Really annoyed as it's such an effort to get back to chemist. Want to know when did you start your B12 injections as district nurses said they would do it for me while I'm under their care instead of going to surgery? Been told I need 1 every 3 months. Well enough feeling sorry for myself. Just had to vent it! Hopefully tomorrow I can rest and try and get my mojo back! Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

They do b12 3 monthly starting 3 months after surgery

I'm having my first b12 injection tomorrow, its 8 weeks on Monday since I had my sleeve. When I saw the dietician for my first post op check up, she asked me if I had had it, I said no (thinking it would be after 3m) and she said I needed to have it. I should've had it last week but it was cancelled, having it at 3pm tomorrow xx

Back