• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

January 2014 surgeries

District nurses came yesterday to try and take bloods but failed after 3 attempts. I have notoriously bad veins that keep collapsing and they had terrible trouble when I was in hospital trying to get canulas in. GP wants bloods to determine if I need b12 injections. Is this standard procedure? I thought we just automatically got them every 3 months?

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

District nurses came yesterday to try and take bloods but failed after 3 attempts. I have notoriously bad veins that keep collapsing and they had terrible trouble when I was in hospital trying to get canulas in. GP wants bloods to determine if I need b12 injections. Is this standard procedure? I thought we just automatically got them every 3 months?

Most say three months,but others want more regular, depends where u had it done. I wouldn't worry, just the way it is.

previous bander, revision to by pass.

6 weeks yesterday I had my op and I'm feeling ok! A bit of pain when I eat but that's getting less and less! I'm happy with my weight loss (22kg) and all the old clothes that fit me again. I have my 6 week check up on the 31 march ( can't get over to England until then) fingers crossed I have another few kg gone by then!

It's definitely reducing the size of my meals. Although I've had a few problems with food(red meat) getting stuck. Also if I eat too much it's horrible feeling and must come back up. However happy with progress so far. 1lb more and I will have lost 3stone yippee

Wow that is amazing you must feel great!! Surgeon was able to get my port first time, I asked for a little more as I really had v little restriction.. so im now at 4.5ml and still on liquids after fill but can already feel a diff from how I was! My weight loss is slower..1.5 stone at 6 weeks but ive started swimming and going to body combat classes so I hope I feel the inches coming off! Ive also gone off choc for lent and hopefully longer after as I was having little treats n dont want to see it sneaking up on me again! Well done again xxx

Thank you ladies for your kind words of support. I'm just grateful to have survived and to be getting better. I just wish I was as well as all you lot who had surgeries in January. A friend took me shopping today and I walked around 2 large stores and I was absolutely shattered. Tonight I feel sick with tiredness. Think I overdid it but am annoyed that a simple thing like walking around stores shopping has completely wiped me out. Yesterday I walked to my daughters school to surprise her as the sun was shining and I'm suffering really bad cabin fever. 20mins there and 20 mins back down a country, very muddy track. Again I was exhausted when we got home. Feel like I need to stay at home and rest tomorrow. Have been having an afternoon sleep as I get so tired but have missed it the last 2 days! I'm 5 weeks post-op after 2 major abdominal surgeries within 2 days of each other ( one was the bypass). I really thought I'd be feeling better than I do right now and am frustrated at my slow rate of progress. The 2nd open surgery on my bowel has really set me back.
Just want to be well again and fit. District nurse said wound is healing nicely although there is still a large hole in my tummy. Picked up a prescription from chemist and doctors have got it all wrong. Given me lansoprazole capsules 15mg instead of 30mg fast tabs and iron tablets instead of syrup. Really annoyed as it's such an effort to get back to chemist.
Want to know when did you start your B12 injections as district nurses said they would do it for me while I'm under their care instead of going to surgery? Been told I need 1 every 3 months.
Well enough feeling sorry for myself. Just had to vent it! Hopefully tomorrow I can rest and try and get my mojo back!

So sorry youve had a tough time...u prob need to rest up a little more if ur exhausted our bodies really do tell us when they need to heal. Hopefully in a couple of months it will all be a distant memory and youll be able to focus on all the positives..big hugs xx

Unhappy today. I'm 2llb heavier than last week so thought I'd cheer myself up by measuring only to find out thighs are 2cm bigger & bust (of all places) is 1cm smaller.
Was unhappy with last weeks 1llb loss & with having no restriction after 1st fill I've reduced calories from 1200 to 1000 (my providers advice) & increased exercise. I've also changed to eating little but more often (i was going all day without eating some days).
I eat very high protein, low fat, low sugar, low carb. I'm really not sure what's going wrong.
I'm aware i sometimes eat a little too fast still but other than that I'm following all the other rules.
I've got a lot of stress right now, I'm not sure if that's having an effect.
Sorry for the rant, it's really depressing!
Does anyone have any advice?

band fitted 16.01.14

Just wanted to ask other January well all bypassers if they can eat this? (Pasta bowl about 8" diameter)
I've managed a salad since 6 weeks post op with no problems. It's actually the biggest and easiest meal I can tolerate!!!!
Seems tonnes though but I was told to up my intake. Is it too much? I won't finish it but most of it will be consumed..... and enjoyed I might add
;-)

Attachments

• image-2601027813.jpg
    image-2601027813.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 55
Annoyed with myself tonight. After having a reasonable dinner of Half a salmon fillet, spinach, 2 asparagus spears, a broccoli floret and a melted laughing cow cheese triangle, I go and blow it by deciding I'm going to have a dessert too. Had 1/2 tin of Ambrosia low fat custard and feel as sick as a dog. Had to come to bed as felt so awful. It was pure greed. Wasn't even hungry just fancied a dessert. Tummy is sore now and the worst has passed. 6 weeks post op tomorrow. Still letting head hunger win. Why do we push our luck?

Been beating myself up about slow weight loss then seen pics from when we had the kiddies out yday and have decided maybe measuring is the way forward...theres a 2 yr gap in the pics but before christmas I was heavier than the before 1...

ForumRunner_20140310_223925.jpg

ForumRunner_20140310_223940.jpg

You can really see the difference. You look amazing! I'm a slow looser too. Perhaps you're right. Need to throw away scales!

Good day today - exactly 3 stone down since surgery and 4 since start of pre op diet (however I have no clothes left ;))

Oh and the sun is shining :) x

I am 6 weeks today post op and seem to be having an extended TOTM. Been on for over 2 weeks. Not supposed to be as I am on the pill and never normally have them. Do you think the surgery has caused it? Could it explain why I don't seem to be loosing weight?

I am 6 weeks today post op and seem to be having an extended TOTM. Been on for over 2 weeks. Not supposed to be as I am on the pill and never normally have them. Do you think the surgery has caused it? Could it explain why I don't seem to be loosing weight?

I'm certainly no expert but the surgery definitely messes with TOTM. It kicked my off a few days after surgery (2 1/2 weeks early) so at a guess I would say yes to the unusual TOTM activity.

Hope it finishes up for you soon, they suck!!

Just wanted to ask other January well all bypassers if they can eat this? (Pasta bowl about 8" diameter)
I've managed a salad since 6 weeks post op with no problems. It's actually the biggest and easiest meal I can tolerate!!!!
Seems tonnes though but I was told to up my intake. Is it too much? I won't finish it but most of it will be consumed..... and enjoyed I might add
;-)

i cant tolerate salad yet but it seems an ok amount to me

I know this is completely random but have just witnessed a fatal car crash outside my house. I held her hand and tried to comfort her whilst the emergency services were on their way. In shock. Really feel like a stiff drink. Feel sick. Don't feel like eating at all. Faced my own mortality 6 weeks ago when I had to have a 2nd life saving op after bypass 6 weeks ago for a twisted bowel and now just watched a woman about my age, die in front of me. My usual comfort would be alcohol. How do a I deal with the shock?

I know this is completely random but have just witnessed a fatal car crash outside my house. I held her hand and tried to comfort her whilst the emergency services were on their way. In shock. Really feel like a stiff drink. Feel sick. Don't feel like eating at all. Faced my own mortality 6 weeks ago when I had to have a 2nd life saving op after bypass 6 weeks ago for a twisted bowel and now just watched a woman about my age, die in front of me. My usual comfort would be alcohol. How do a I deal with the shock?

Oh that's never an easy thing to work through. Dealing with it all depends on you. Talking about it with someone would help, but the alone times when it replays are tough. In the past I've just had to think that at least they had someone there and they weren't alone when they went. You did a great thing for her and i'm sure she was thankful for that. Do you have access to a therapist through your surgery group? That may help. Just remember you gave her a gift that I'm sure her family appreciates.

JennaMarie I just felt so useless. All I did was hold her hand and tell her that the emergency services were on their way and to hang on in there. Just wanted to comfort her and not let her be all alone. She had a child's car seat in the back and a child's health book and they sent dogs up to check a baby hadn't been thrown from car into fields( live in a rural area). Luckily not. Don't know any thing about a therapist being available to me! Probably not as I was done on the NHS! Good thing is, feel sick but really want a stiff brandy to calm my nerves! Hope they clear the wreckage before my children come home. Don't want them to see it. She hit a lorry. Skidded on mud. Farmers have been muck spreading last few days and we live on a sharp bend. They're taking the lorry away now. Have taken all their photos and measurements. Still in shock.

Back