• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Joint pain post weightloss

Nicola1

on my way
Hi All, I was just wondering if any of you has has joint pain post weightloss. I'm used to walking miles and been known to walk up mountains but since loosing weight whenever I walk I get really bad pain in my hips!
The other night I only walked about 2 miles on the flat, and the pain in my hips was terrible, I've never had this before. I was wondering if it's because my stance is different now?
I've never experienced this before, anyone else found this or is it just me?

i get pain in my hips when im walking too.. but im putting it down to being more active.. also i have suffered from sciatica for years and i get a pain which goes down my leg to my knee, i would get the pain now and then pre-op... but since losing 5 and half stone nearly... i get the pain almost continual.. and now im having physio on monday. but i think its my body adjusting and not being used to being so active. im standing more, walking more.. and just doing so much more.
I think it could be the same for you... but i would check it out as im not a doctor xx

If you carried alot of excess weight for a long time it's certainly going to have had an impact on your body...possibly as Rayne said if you've now started walking more and even correctly positioning yourself that maybe causing pressures where there wasn't before.

But if its troublesome contact the doctors just to be sure.

My knee hurts a bit after Zumba but hey after years of doing nothing...I can't expect any different.

Hope the pain goes soon or at least is managable....but don't suffer in silence!!

I am getting my siatica pain back :( but I do think that the change in posture has alot to do with it - I too have started physio so am hopeful things improve soon :)

Prior to my surgery I was in agony with what I thought was sciatica (I've had it before) after weeks of strong pain killers and no relief I went to an osteopath and discovered it was in fact a twisted pelvis (no comment please Caren! :p) after a bit of manipulation I'm miles better.

Like other's say - get yourself off to a professional to ease the pain and prevent any further damage.

I hope you are enjoying long walks again soon x

Thanks for the replies, thought I was the only 1. Although I've only lost 50lb ( a lot for me but not for some of you out there) I could walk before with no pain at all, I think it prob has to do with a shift in posture, I'll give it a couple of months and if it doesn't improve I'll see my GP as I don't want it to stop my walking

Dinda said:
Prior to my surgery I was in agony with what I thought was sciatica (I've had it before) after weeks of strong pain killers and no relief I went to an osteopath and discovered it was in fact a twisted pelvis (no comment please Caren! :p) after a bit of manipulation I'm miles better.

Like other's say - get yourself off to a professional to ease the pain and prevent any further damage.

I hope you are enjoying long walks again soon x

Dare we ask how you twisted it, or how you got it back in the right position!!!! Lol

i think sometimes our extra padding can stop certain back, leg pains coming through...just a theory..but possible xx

I have no idea how I twisted it, but I was banned from using the hoover for a month - which was obviously total hell for me (not!)

The osteopath did the technical bit of getting me all straight again (using various manipulation techniques including elbows - ouch)

I agree with Rayne, sometimes carrying extra weight can mask issues.

50lbs is a great loss Nicola - be proud of it x

weight re-ditribution also..... well according to doc makes us change posture and our body has to get used to that x

Its our skeletons getting used to less flab!I had horrible bum pains from my newly bony ass!
Now I have upper thigh pain that kicks in if I have been on my feet for a few hours,the muscle at the front goes into spasm and nearly knocks me off my feet.I had lower back probs and this could be related.

I have back and knee pain before the op, awaiting replacements for knees. The last couple of days I've had terrible hip pain too. Seeing knee consultant this week I will mention it to him.

Its our skeletons getting used to less flab!I had horrible bum pains from my newly bony ass!
Now I have upper thigh pain that kicks in if I have been on my feet for a few hours,the muscle at the front goes into spasm and nearly knocks me off my feet.I had lower back probs and this could be related.

ooh i get upper thigh pain too when ive walked a lot x

Does yours feel like your muscle is just giving out on you?The pain is a bugger!Only affects my right leg though.I wonder if it was brought on after the op ie nerve damage.

yes it just my right leg... i was told about 4 years ago... its sciatica and once you have lost weight it will go!! soi went to the same doctor a few weeks ago and said... look i have lost 4 and half stone and the pain is worse!! i told him i didnt want pain killers (was on antibiotics for 5 weeks so had enough of tabs)...so he said right i sending you for physio lol.. so im there tmro.. i will let you know how i get on xx

Back