• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

July 2014 Surgeries

Hi Chrisy I am three and a half weeks out and do not start puréed foods till four weeks. Just shows how much difference advice is from surgeons. So sorry no idea realy. Must admit looking forward to next week. I got Thrush after the op also it was very uncomfortable. Hope you are healing well.

Hi Chrisy I am three and a half weeks out and do not start puréed foods till four weeks. Just shows how much difference advice is from surgeons. So sorry no idea realy. Must admit looking forward to next week. I got Thrush after the op also it was very uncomfortable. Hope you are healing well.
Thank you for the post Wireman. Different surgeons do seem to have different rules. I was surprised that with the ultra-strict LRD diet I was pleasantly surprised that we can move on to puréed foods so soon - mind you so have to make sure that they can run off the spoon like soup. Today I had a tiny bit of mashed potato and lots of gravy - it was amazing lol. Our rules say days 7 to 28, sloppy/puréed food and you gradually build up the thickness.

I am healing, well thank you - I went out for the first time today. I hope you are healing well too and enjoy eating soon.

cd

Chrisy, I've made up a batch of different meals (just stuff I would normally eat like fish pie, spag bol, chicken & gravy and sausage & beans (to later be eaten with very soft mash), that kind of thing), puréed them down in a blender, pushed it through a fine strainer to get any bits out, and froze them in little portions. All ready for my purée stage next week.

It's a bit of hassle at the time, but a lot easier when it comes to mealtimes later on! I also entered them all into the recipe maker on MyFitnessPal, so I can just add them to my diary easily when I eat them.

I'm gonna make up some shepherds pie, veggies, and maybe some salmon later and whoosh them up too. Can never be too prepared! Hehe ;)

Chrisy, I've made up a batch of different meals (just stuff I would normally eat like fish pie, spag bol, chicken & gravy and sausage & beans (to later be eaten with very soft mash), that kind of thing), puréed them down in a blender, pushed it through a fine strainer to get any bits out, and froze them in little portions. All ready for my purée stage next week.

It's a bit of hassle at the time, but a lot easier when it comes to mealtimes later on! I also entered them all into the recipe maker on MyFitnessPal, so I can just add them to my diary easily when I eat them.

I'm gonna make up some shepherds pie, veggies, and maybe some salmon later and whoosh them up too. Can never be too prepared! Hehe ;)
Ah - good idea - I think I will spend some time in the kitchen tomorrow :) xx

I did that pre op ready for post op I blitzed any leftovers we had from meals and froze great for post op when you dont feel upto cooking

Hi all Well one week out and things seem mostly ok. Hardly any pain, still windy and a lost morning after senna liquid - oh my. Today I discovered that I have oral thrush - which apparently not unusual after surgery. Started the puréed foods stage today - so had some soup that I made before surgery. Have had yogurt, jelly and protein ice cream. All OK so far. Any thoughts on what I should try tomorrow? Wish I knew how to post to the right thread. :sigh: cd X

I started puree this week 4 weeks out and tuna and salad cream light is really nice you can use mayo but I like salad cream also I do smoothies 150g strawberrys 150g no fat natural yogurt and one banana blitz and add 2-3 ice cubes if you want. enough there to have twice and really nice and good to get fruit in Tried spag Bol puréed did not like that baked beans was nice thow....it's just trial and error you can puree anything and try it if you don't like it then you know not to do it again lol good luck :)

Hi guys Was wondering. How many days post op did you remove dressings? Thanks Lorraine

I went home with mine on and took them off after about 3 days, but nurse sent me home with some extra incase I needed to reapply. I did end up using them in the end as I have a habit of scratching in my sleep, so I didn't want to make a mess off them (I've ruined tattoos this way! Oops!). I still wear plasters on the ones that are still scabby at night, but take them off in the morning, so they can breathe and heal.

Just to mention, I didn't have staples in mine. Or stitches. In fact, I'm just assuming they were glued, because there's no evidence of anything else holding them together. I never thought to ask! lol

Thanks for the responses guys. Lol have no idea whether I've got any stitches, glue etc Better take a look. Lol

I had steri strips under my dressings but gp practice nurse did mine as I was being treated for wound infection

Of the five wounds. Two were sealed during the operation, one was sutured and two had drains fitted for four nights. When the drains were removed they were bandaged and I was given waterproof dressings to swap over after a day. When I saw the practice nurse after just over a week after surgery (four days after drains were removed) steri strips were added and the dressings changed.

I'm still trying to get a GP referral for RNY up to tier 3, although that would mean a weekly trek to Cambridge.

Hi, I just wanted to say how well you have all been doing, Im having a sleeve later this month and reading about your experiences has been very helpful, thank you.

Of the five wounds. Two were sealed during the operation, one was sutured and two had drains fitted for four nights. When the drains were removed they were bandaged and I was given waterproof dressings to swap over after a day. When I saw the practice nurse after just over a week after surgery (four days after drains were removed) steri strips were added and the dressings changed. I'm still trying to get a GP referral for RNY up to tier 3, although that would mean a weekly trek to Cambridge.

Oh god I remember those days of the weekly trek to Cambridge. How far are you?

Oh god I remember those days of the weekly trek to Cambridge. How far are you?

I'm in Ipswich and rely on public transport. I'm two buses from Ipswich railway station.

Just a thought have you ever considered moving to Birmingham, they seem to be very obliging here and you wouldn't have to move here permanently if you didn't like the place, I'm an adopted Brummy it's ok

I'm in Ipswich and rely on public transport. I'm two buses from Ipswich railway station.

That's a nightmare although I was in a similar position. I live in a small town with very irregular buses so had to get 3/4 buses to get to the hospital. It's all worth it in the end though, as they say where there's a will there's a way.

Don't quite know why your GP hasn't referred you to one of the London hospitals Marcus... I'm in clacton on sea and I had no problem at all... You seem to have had a very "odd" experience with every step of the process... My partners band eroded and he couldn't even swallow his own spit and was in agony... So you did remarkably well not to have your erosion picked up on until you were in surgery for the bypass.... Think this is why most surgeons take the 2 step approach ... Band out the bypass at a later date... Seems that you sadly wasted your hard earned/ borrowed money.... Hope you find a better pathway to the surgery you want/need soon.... You have a complicated stomach now to say the least from all your posts I have read... Sorry you have had such a bad time of it

Back