• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Regrets

Nkpjkb56

I am regretting having the gastric band and not going for bypass has anyone else felt like this it is still early on for me as only had it done November 2014 but my weight has stayed the same for about 3months and hasn't moved I have seen post on here about people having gone from band to bypass does the bypass cost same price as normal or if you are changing from one to the other is there a different price

It's a bit early to condemn your band without a medical/mechanical issue. Try a bit harder on back to basics on eating. Others will be along to assist...

To answer your question. You will need to pay to have the band removed. This will be in the region of £5000-£6500 if you have this as stand alone. The bypass will then be in the region of £10000-£11500 stand alone. If you have the removal and upgrade in the same procedure this will add about £1000 to the bypass procedure.

You may/will have scarring that the band causes.

Best speak to a surgeon about a sleeve or bypass which is best for you.

Just an opinion, but too early to change without a physical breakdown of the band. It's not an easy option, but none of the wls procedures are, another procedure isn't going to have a magic wand attached to it.

Good luck and hang on in there.

I had my band fitted in November, the same as you, and yes at this point in time I'm regretting it very much. I've gone from having minimal restriction to being very restricted in 0.5 ml, but this is making "healthy" choices harder to eat. It seems to be getting better so this may be just me adjusting to the new restriction but we'll see.

I lost some weight pre- and initially post op but my weight has changed since Christmas. Don't get me wrong, it's not increased at all which is a good thing. I'm just a bit fed up that its not going down.

I'm seriously considering doing a very low calorie shake/bar diet for a few weeks to see if I can get things moving. Atleast if I can shift the weight I know the band is there to help me maintain my weight (which is what it seems to be very effective at).

Sorry rant over. I'm hoping to be proved wrong by the band. It doesn't help having people ask "So do people usually lose weight by this point then??" - i.e. why haven't I lost a significant amount of weight!? lol

Thanks for your reply it is frustrating my weight has basically stayed the same since Christmas I know it's not a magic wand but I thought I would have lost more by this point perhaps that's just me I phoned today to see how much it would be for gastric bypass surgery it will cost between 13000 to 15000 that's including removing the band

Eek, the thought of a bypass still scares me! I went for the band because I just couldn't afford the gastric sleeve, that the surgeon seemed to suggest would be best for me. I could barely afford the band let alone stretch to double that for the sleeve, grrr I wish money wasn't an issue! Although having said that, I'm not sure I could get the time off work necessary for the bigger operation either.

I'm starting my "silly" diet next week. shakes/bars and a v. low carb sensible evening meal (or as snacks throughout the day - which I think might work better for me). I tried to start the atkins diet the other day but I'm finding it difficult to eat mosts meats, so not an ideal diet to do with the band!

Totally wish I'd gone for sleeve and not band!!! When I did my homework there didn't seem to be so many unhappy people on here, it was all positive, however now I see the page for Reversals !!!!! I've only lost weight since doing VLC bars shakes which tbh isn't really how I wNt to live...... I have never had restriction only getting things stuck as it's too tight.... I started VLC as the so called ideal diet most certainly didn't work for me.... Before anyone thinks 'did she really follow it?' Yes I can follow any diet thus my last 4 months on naff all but a 4 stone loss..... Regrets ABSOLUTELY!

I plan to start a VLCD on Wednesday. It's the only thing that seem to shift the weight. I am hoping that the band will at least help me maintain my weight if I manage to lose it on the rather drastic diet...

I don't have any regrets I must be lucky! I've worked hard to keep a balanced diet helping me lose over 4 stone which has helped me achieve the one thing I've always wanted so I can't complain. I was only banded the month before you so it does seem a shame your already thinking about revision surgery x

I had my band done 30 July 2013 and have lost seven stone I don't regret it one bit I have gone to the gym three times a week since having it so think that has helped as I have no loose skin either x

Hi odonnellcheryl that's good going I have a problem with my foot so I can't excersise to much with it I go to aqua aerobics twice a week and go swimming in between have a running machine but can't do to much with my foot as I stand all day in work by evening it is so swollen and painfully can't do much had this problem for a year just had an injection put into it worked for about a week but has come back really struggling at the moment trying to eat different things but nothing seems to shift the weight just getting me down

It seems a bit soon to be writing it off. I would do my damndest to try and get it working for me before I'd consider spending £15k on revision surgery.

What support/advice are you getting from your provider? Have you booked a proper consultation about it? Are you religiously following 20/20/20 and eating dry/crunchy food? Are you drinking high-calorie drinks?

Could your band be too tight?

I really think you should exhaust all other avenues before considering revision surgery.

I've only lost two stone in 6 months but I'm very happy with my band and think it's doing a great job. If I really dieted I'm sure I could lose weight more quickly but I'm happy with the slow loss.

i regret having my band, i had it done at the thg group dolan park, a year ago, i lost nearly 2st, but in the last 6mnt ive not lost an ounce its anoying, ive had fills ive had some took out, i have no restrictions, i dont get full i just have to stop myself eating, i dont go out anymore cos im sick after eating most things but thats because i just can not get to grips with the 20 20 20 thing, its so frustrating but im not gona give up i will keep on going with it in the hope that one day it will all click into place ..... ive got empty pockets £6000 lighter but no weight los lighter lol

No regret here either :) had my band fitted in feb this year so far including the pre op diet i have managed to shift an amazing 4 stone and so far my band is still empty........... ok so my band isn't doing the hard work right now :) but following the 20 20 20 rules eating from a side plate etc is working for me :)

I hope all works out for you too x x x

I think its wonderful that people can lose weight just by the 20/20/20 rule and nothing in there band, but personally I have an problematic relationship with food. If I could rely on healthy eating then I'd have done that instead of spending all the money. I thought I would be much fuller all the time. I don't want any more restriction at the moment as there are lots of food I have difficulties with, many healthy foods I might add, yet I still get hunger pangs.

I'm on day 2 of a VCLD. I previously lost 6 stone on this diet, which I managed to keep off for 2 years. Then slowly the weight creeped back, which is why I had the band. I am hoping if I can get my head into gear I can lose the weight on the vcld and then use the band as a tool to keep the weight off. Pehaps this is worth considering Nkpjkb56, rather than a drastic/costly bypass operation.

Personally if having the band has taught me anything its that I don't like restriction, it's so frustrating, especially when it comes to healthy food. If I'm honest I'm not sure I could commit to the much more drastic change in eating plan that the bypass requires compared with the band....

I like the freedom I have with my band because I can still enjoy all the foods I love just in moderation. Good luck with the low cal diet might help kick start things for you again. I did exante a few months before op but it was too restrictive for me x

I think its wonderful that people can lose weight just by the 20/20/20 rule and nothing in there band, but personally I have an problematic relationship with food. If I could rely on healthy eating then I'd have done that instead of spending all the money. I thought I would be much fuller all the time. I don't want any more restriction at the moment as there are lots of food I have difficulties with, many healthy foods I might add, yet I still get hunger pangs.

I'm on day 2 of a VCLD. I previously lost 6 stone on this diet, which I managed to keep off for 2 years. Then slowly the weight creeped back, which is why I had the band. I am hoping if I can get my head into gear I can lose the weight on the vcld and then use the band as a tool to keep the weight off. Pehaps this is worth considering Nkpjkb56, rather than a drastic/costly bypass operation.

Personally if having the band has taught me anything its that I don't like restriction, it's so frustrating, especially when it comes to healthy food. If I'm honest I'm not sure I could commit to the much more drastic change in eating plan that the bypass requires compared with the band....

I think which ever means we choose in order to loose weight is hard with or without a tool.............. our heads have a lot to answer for there LOl maybe a band for the brain would be easier :rolleyes: I understand it must be very hard if you have bad relationship with food, because that's not an easy thing to cope with, certainly a band has a part to play but ultimately its that old head again :sigh:
I really don't like the thought of being over restricted, hence im trying hard before i have to resort to fills, obviously i'm going to have to at some point......
For me my band has already done the job i needed it to do............. i was pretty much housebound, and without moving around i just couldn't shift any weight..... so this has given me that kick start enough to get my mobility back enough to get out walking now, i just pray that my head stays in this space and i can keep going :)

I wish you all the very best, i can understand how frustrating it must be....... I hope the low cal approach helps :) i'm sticking to 1000 a day with on average cal burn 2700 a day which is working right now, of course things will change the less i have to loose, but like most others could not have considered bypass really, i like the choice to still eat what i fancy and enjoy the odd eating out.

All the best x x x x Good luck

I've decided I can't deal with the side effects of the vcld, so have upped my calories to 1000 but I'm still following a quite strict plan, granted with more food. I think having something structured is what I need to set me on the straight and narrow...

Back