• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Just been referred

Debster15

Hi

My dietician has just referred me back to the GP for surgery, gastric bypass operation.

I'm so nervous about it. She's asked me to do the milk diet for 3 weeks to make sure I can do it, I've only done it for 3 days and I'm already struggling.

I've got a BMI is 51! I am struggling to find the will power to carry on with the Milk Diet and need some help. Any tips from anyone?

Thanks

Hi Debster, I don't have any helpful advice from experience I am afraid as I have not done the milk diet or any LRD yet. However, hopefully someone that has will be able to help you out!

What is it you are struggling with? Being hungry? Not liking the milk? Or everything?!!!

I am dreading doing my LRD and that is with surgery to follow afterwards so I am not sure how I would cope doing it as a trial run.

For me I am a visual person, so would notes around the place/in front of the computer/television saying why you want to do this or things like "be strong" or photographs you hate because you look large and you don't want to be like that anymore, would that help to remind you why you want to stay on track? That is what I am planning on doing when I start mine in the summer. Lots on the fridge door, in front of the kettle or the food cupboard!

Also a progress chart for how much weight you are losing doing it? that might motivate you?

Good luck!

Hi,

Am struggling with all of the above, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to use milkshake mix to flavour the milk because it has extra calories. I'm also feeling like I ned to eat something, anything and that worries me because I don't want to go on a binge or anytthing.

Is a trial run unsual? Because I'm struggling to see the sense if it's not to aid the surgery itself. As I've only just been referred I don't even have a confirmed date yet or anything, there might be a waiting list so I don't know how far away it's going to be.

Thanks for your help, the ideas on the photos were good, I might try that out

The struggle is very real .. The reason is the withdrawal symptoms .. The major withdrawal from carbohydrates is awful .. You're depriving yourself of dopamine which is a feel good hormone released by carbs .. Once you get past the four or five days you will feel so much better .. Don't give up ..
This test time will be preparation for after you have surgery when carbs will be the very devil and will try and make eat them and this will be a recipe for failure ..
So keep focused and remember that you are responsible for any food that goes from hand to mouth .. It's only you that can do this ..
We are here for support ..

Thanks,

Today is the worst I've felt, I suddenly feel very hungry today and it's really not helping, feeling drained as well which is affecting my mood.

I have tried slimfast before as a breakfast but never tried only milk, I've been told I can have high salt drink as well but can't stand bovril so I'm trying to work out what I can do in it's place.

I appreciate the support that you are giving me, it's very difficult to stay focused without it.

I'm on pint number 3 of the day so got 2 for this evening and i've been drinking lots of water... day 3 of week 1

I think they are seeing if you are serious as I have not heard of a trial before. My him is more than you (53) and I am treating this fear of LSD and surgery as a test of how much I want to change. And I really do want - need- to change.
Keep up the good work - show them and yourself that you can do this. And when you get cheesed off/ tired/ sad come to this forum and talk it through.

was just wondering how your doing now anything got a bit better for you?

Hi @Debster15 ,
I'm also waiting for my surgery date, and worried about the LRD. Im know i can mannage 7 days, as ive done it in the past, just to see how i got on with it. And a kind of a detox i felt my body needed at the time. I 100% agree with countrywench though, the withdrawl from 'any' form of 'sugar' is awful. Headaches, feeling shaky and jittery...low energy....and low mood. But it does pass. Once it passes, your energy, skin, And your mood can improve loads! My real concern for me though...is i hear eveyone mention the 'Milk' on the LRD......Now i love milk....but since developing IBS symptom....milk doesn'nt love me! I can cope with tiny amounts in tea, but not drinking a whole glassful. Hope there is another plan i can do ( i'l be speaking to my dietition before my surgery date anyhow).
Stick with it!
I'm sure it will be worth it in the long run.
Good Luck
Toni x :rainbow:

I always feel the need to share my experience of the LRD which was great. I didn't struggle at all because I didn't have to think about what to eat, it was all taken care of. I had the occasional moment of feeling hungry but it passed straight away. I didn't feel I was in withdrawal from anything or the urge to cheat wnd eat something. My energy levels were normal for me, most of the time they were actually better than normal. I felt calm and focused and it definitely helped me deal with eating far far less after surgery. I know a lot of people do struggle so it's perfectly reasonable to prepare for that but it might not be as hard as you think too.
On my diet they equated so many yogurts to a pint of milk so you could adjust it to suit yourself so that might be an option @Sunshine99 but as you say your dietician will be the best person to advise you :)

Im having a guess at this....but i think the people who may find the LRD the hardest to do, are the ones who's previous diet relied upon high amounts of suger in their diets. (Like myself). As im aware though, some people who do overeat on food...are not necessarily eating high sugar stuff.
For me, even if milk wasn'nt an issue for me....i still would choose another option, to do the LRD, Why? Because ...milk has 'sugars' in. (Can't remember the name of the type of sugar in it....is lactose a sugar? Unsure...but its in there!)
And sugar increases 'your hunger' .....which would make certain people doing the LRD much much harder! Im hoping to go on a calories restriced diet...when my time comes, with no sugar at all in it.
I have (since yesterday) ...been preparing to cut sugar out of my diet....this is my day 2 off no sugar so far! So it makes the LRD more manageable. Of course im hungry all the time...thinking about food, headaches, grumpy ....but i know it will pass! My problem then though...is to maintain the no the no sugar approach for longer than 7 days this time! Because once (as i know from expariance) I start to slip back into my old habits...and it can only be 1 chocolate bar, or something i wasn't aware had sugars in it (poor food labelling). My hunger craves more & more of the bad stuff, til im back binging again!
So with you on your 3rd day following your plan that you've been advised, And me on my 2nd day of no sugar. We can work together on this ....il do my best to get to day 21 this time...with you!
We can do this!
Toni :rainbow:

I was on the milk diet, 1 ltr (2 pints) a day plus 2l no sugar liquids, basically water. Chose this over the milkshakes because I was afraid of sugar bringing on cravings so went with lacto free milk and it worked quite well although I did feel hungry.

Hi Debster I am on day 12 of milk diet and have not found it as bad as I thought it would be but am craving beans on toast which is rather surprising for a chocoholics! I have used some sugar free milk shake which does help. Good luck to you x

Hi Debster I am on day 12 of milk diet and have not found it as bad as I thought it would be but am craving beans on toast which is rather surprising for a chocoholics! I have used some sugar free milk shake which does help. Good luck to you x
I did the milk diet for a month and found it great apart from the last week when I got belly ache from constipation!!! The only thing I craved was some sea bass!! Which was odd as I hate fish and have only eaten it during pregnancy !! Needless to say once I could eat I didn't want it!

Once you get past day three, it becomes easier!

You really need to do this to prove to the team that you can cope with the real pre op and subsequent post op eating plan, should you be offered surgey.

Keep at it and keep posting to help distract you x

I did the slimfast one mainly and got through it by distracting myself- get out of the house - walk the dog - hot bubble baths- anything at all to keep my mind off food.

It does get so much easier after the first few days and a routine kicks in.

Oh hi @Rose2016, I wasn't aware you had your surgery! Welcome to the loser's bench! How's it going, do you have a diary or thread? don't wanna hijack...

Hi @nafpnd (what does this stand for, btw?) - yup all sleeved which was a surprise as it was supposed to be RNY. Done on 13th so I'm ten days post op.
I'm chatting on the September Surgeries thread.

How come they did a sleeve instead? K, have not been on the September thread yet. Early days, hope it's all going well for you.
@nafpnd instead of my name which I did not want to use here.

Complications mid surgery but turned out for the best as I was dreading dumping syndrome. Initially I was shocked but once I'd caught up on my research and got my head around it i am absolutely fine with it.
Sleeve is working for me too - early days of course but I'm over two stones down and not really hungry so I gave hope and confidence this is a good tool for me.

I've just got to remember that all this is just a tool - the person in charge of it is me.

Have confidence - fat fingers typing

Back