• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

JUST BEEN TOLD IM DIABETIC

e.green69

:sigh: just been told im diabetic!! was very shocked and sad..
if anyone can give any advice or any one whom is diabetic and had band fitted.. i have to go next week to hospital and eyes tested and then to have counseling and bloods done.
i am proberly going to have medication first..
i hope i have just done good by having band fitted 9day ago..
emma

Hi, i have type 2 diabetes. i was initially diagnoised when i was pregnant and unfortunately it didn't go when i had my little girl. Prior to my op i was taking metformin which made me feel sh****. But at my recent check up i was advised to stop the meds as my blood sugars were dropping too low! I am now medication free and managing it by diet alone (which isn't hard after the bypass).

I know you feel disappointed and sad about your news but rest assured that once the weight comes off you too will probably not need treatment. Weight loss surgery is proven to reduce the need for people with diabetes to require treatment so look at it as a short term problem.

good luck x

thanks so much tammy
i feel better just after reading that post. they did mention metformin to me.. what does it make you feel like hun?

Hi again,

GOD I'M STUPID!!! :(:(

There is a forum at the link I posted (I think) but it is not the one I meant to tell yoou about, which is www.diabetes.co.uk. The 'org' one is part of Diabetes UK website, the other one is not. When you have a read you will see that there is a cerain amount of difference of opinion between them regarding diet, whether Type 2's should test etc. IMHO, the .co.uk one is better, but you must see what you think! Sorry for the mistake!
SM

im type one diabetic but i find it really hard to control it and look after myself 100% so not much advice i can give

thanks so much tammy
i feel better just after reading that post. they did mention metformin to me.. what does it make you feel like hun?
Well where do i start it gave me an upset tum and made me feel really sick. I did try glicluside which i tolerated better but my blood sugars kept going really low. To be honest with you although injecting was a pain i seemed to manage the insulin better but it has implications for driving and stuff which is why i went onto tablets.

Make sure you get you medical exemption certifcate from your GP this means your prescriptions and eye tests are free. Also make sure you get you kidney function and that checked regularily. My GP failed to do this and i was told that i have significant kideny damage as a result of poorly controlled diabetes.

If i can offer any more help or advice don't hesitate to contact me. Take care and stay positive it will get better as the weight comes off and it is good that you now know so that they can treat it properly. Take care x

Hiya...

I developed Type II (I was producing insulin, but very insulin resistant) after gaining over 12 stone in the space of 4 years. Even on 3g of Metformin, my BS levels were anything from 22 mmols/l to 31 mmols/l.

That said, I should add that this was due to my bad diet control :rolleyes:

However, after my bypass they are now within normal parameters (<8 mmols/l) and I have been off Metformin since my op :)

Hopefully your BS levels will reduce with your weight. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

x

Hiya...

I developed Type II (I was producing insulin, but very insulin resistant) after gaining over 12 stone in the space of 4 years. Even on 3g of Metformin, my BS levels were anything from 22 mmols/l to 31 mmols/l.

TBH, the scariest thing for me was when the Doc started mentioning Insulin if my BS levels didn't reduce.

However, after my bypass they are now within normal parameters (<8 mmols/l) and I have been off Metformin since my op :)

Hopefully your BS levels will reduce with your weight. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

x
Great you off your meds too. and WOW what excellent weight loss x

And well done on losing 62lbs! That is fab :D

I am sure you will be fine... just take things easy ;)

x

thanks girls so much!!
its just very scary...
how are your kidneys olsbols?
i did have gestational on both kids but it was very poorly controlled.

iam also type 2 diabetic i was told in september last year.after reading the replies on here has made me know iam making the right decision on have the band..seeing dr siddiqui on the 12th

Hi Emma
I was diagnosed with type 2 about 4 years ago I managed it for a couple of years on diet alone then I was put on metformin as my sugars were all over the place, but when I had my band fitted the surgeon advised me to come off the tablets and see how I went. I am almost 6 weeks post op and my sugars have been fine. I just check them regularly. I was fine on the metformin and didnt have any side effects but I suppose everyone is different.
Hope everything goes OK with yours and Good Luck.
Luv Lesley xx

Back