• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Liver reducing diet...failed!!!

Hi all,

My band date is in 6 days 23rd May.

I am supposed to be on my liver reducing diet but have got to say I haven't particularly stuck to it at all!,,,:cry:

My hubbie said to me if you could stick to the LRD you wouldn't be having the band fitted which is a fair point.

I've got to say I have zero will power hence this is my last resort.

I'm now concerned what effect if any this will have on my operation as the diet is in order to make the op easier.
Have got to say my LFT bloods have always been fine & I'm on no medication so relatively healthy except for being overweight.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

I'd say the opposite to your hubby tbh. If you can't stick to a diet for 2 weeks, how are you going to change your eating habits post band? Your going to need loads of willpower post op.

Worst case scenario is that you'll wake up with no band, as your liver was too big to perform the procedure. My best advice would be to stick to it to the letter for the next six days.

All overweight people have a fatty liver, which is therefore enlarged. The surgeon has to hoick the liver out of the way to get a clear view of what he's doing and to have the room to manoeuvre. So we go on the LSD to shrink it back and give surgeon fighting chance of success. Not having any health issues, not taking any medication and having normal LFTs does not mean your liver won't be fatty, because it will be. Also affected by alcohol so if you drink you are even more likely to have a carrier liver. If you liver is too large and the surgeon can't see/manoeuvre he will abandon the op

"Fattier" liver. I jalapeno the points above, if you can't do this for 2 weeks how are you going to manage the weeks of fluids/puree post op and change the habits of a lifetime? It says on your profile you care self funding, I would seriously consider postponing the old for a couple of weeks and sticking to the diet otherwise it could be 5000 quid down the drain. Trust me, the surgeon will not operate if your liver is too big

Bloody hell my predictive text is getting worse! I hope you get my drift, not trying to be unkind but you really need to get to grips with this

I echo all above and add that having a band is HARD work...unfortunately having your head in the right place is key.... As someone said above how are you going to cope post op when following the very strict guidelines is imperative. Good luck

I'm fully aware of how my eating is going to have change from Saturday onwards forever.

Fortunately I don't particularly drink alcohol, eat chocolate or slide type foods such as ice cream.

I told my surgeon that it's more portion control with me as I'm never full as opposed to eating calorie laden foods so i over eat.

I'm going to really try for the next 6 days & if I wake up without the band I will only have myself to blame.

That said the surgeon did only ask me to do the liver diet for about a week prior to my op!

If your surgeon only asked for a week you'll be fine....just stick to it to the letter :) Good luck sweetness keeping my fingers crossed for you :) Just to add I've heard it all too lol someone said to me if you can loose on the LSD can't you just do that until all your weights gone !!!!! if only it were that simple eh :)

I'm fully aware of how my eating is going to have change from Saturday onwards forever.

Fortunately I don't particularly drink alcohol, eat chocolate or slide type foods such as ice cream.

I told my surgeon that it's more portion control with me as I'm never full as opposed to eating calorie laden foods so i over eat.

I'm going to really try for the next 6 days & if I wake up without the band I will only have myself to blame.

That said the surgeon did only ask me to do the liver diet for about a week prior to my op!

If you over eat salad and low cal/ carb/fat food you are not likely to have needed a band. The weight must have come from somewhere, even with a band if you eat the wrong things but in smaller portions you won't lose weight. There must be a nutritionist or bariatric nurse you could seal to for some advice pre-op?

Of course I have eaten unhealthy foods as I wouldn't be over weight if I only ate lettuce but the weight is not from alcohol, chocolate or ice cream...I'm more crisps bread take away etc.

The surgeon said that the band would restrict the amount I can eat which is what I'm hoping for.

I do understand that if I eat the crisps bread take away etc with the band that I will not loose weight & will be very sick.

Having read about non alcohol fatty liver & being a nurse myself I do know that usually fatty liver which is caused by excessive trigs in the blood goes hand in hand with diabetes, high cholesterol & raised LFT results non of which I have so I will remain positive that I will wake up with a band.

I am seeing the bariatric nurse & dietician on Tuesday which isn't ideal as only 4 days before my op.

Tomorrows a new day so LRD starts again!

Last edited:
Can I suggest Flirtythirty, that you perhaps look up and read some threads from a lady called top_kat. The band is incredibly hard work, and while I would love to see you succeed, of all the forms of wls out there, it is the hardest with which to be successful. I have, unfortunately, seen too many people unprepared for life post surgery with the band, and I think everyone is just trying to warn you that you really need to be ready for the headgame that comes after the op.

Can I suggest Flirtythirty, that you perhaps look up and read some threads from a lady called top_kat. The band is incredibly hard work, and while I would love to see you succeed, of all the forms of wls out there, it is the hardest with which to be successful. I have, unfortunately, seen too many people unprepared for life post surgery with the band, and I think everyone is just trying to warn you that you really need to be ready for the headgame that comes after the op.

Headgame is a great term..... its a daily fight that's for sure.......

Gotta tell you, if I was really determined I could eat a plate of fish and chips, if I was that determined, I choose not to play the head game and not go there...

If you can have the band done it doesnt stop you from over eating thats the point in having the operation in the first place.

what you dont realise is that when you have the band its like shoving a golf ball full of food though a hose pipe it will get blocked and you will be heveing and if it doesnt go down and you sleep it could kill you.

You need to wake up and change your habits because the surgeon going to open you up instead and thats the risk.

we all doing this for reason medical etc but you need to start by why are you hear why do you need this doing what was my motivation in the first place to get this thing inside of me.

good luck

Gotta tell you, if I was really determined I could eat a plate of fish and chips, if I was that determined, I choose not to play the head game and not go there...

:D you and me both LOL the head games begin before it hits the stomach lol Soon as food arrives in front of me (if eating out) I remove half of it before i'm even tempted LOL :rolleyes: ohhh the joys LOL :D

If you can have the band done it doesnt stop you from over eating thats the point in having the operation in the first place.

what you dont realise is that when you have the band its like shoving a golf ball full of food though a hose pipe it will get blocked and you will be heveing and if it doesnt go down and you sleep it could kill you.

You need to wake up and change your habits because the surgeon going to open you up instead and thats the risk.

we all doing this for reason medical etc but you need to start by why are you hear why do you need this doing what was my motivation in the first place to get this thing inside of me.

good luck

I think it's a bit rude of you to say I need to wake up...I am very awake & aware of the challenges I face ahead of me.

I won't be posting again due to your abruptness but thank you to the people who have offered constructive comments.

Don't be put off sweetheart..... some people offer tough love advise some offer a gentler hand :) I am a bander just over 1 year post op..... 9 stone down (since band) almost 11 1/2 stone down since my heaviest weight...... stick with it, take the advise you find helpful but above all stay here where you will get the best help and support available..... all the best :) x x x we're all here for the same reasons and are all in the same boat :) I think possibly the title of your post will always provoke a multitude of replies, honestly everyone just wants to help..... all the best

Just to echo Crystals advice / comments above, people do care on this forum and there is a wealth of experience on here. Unfortunately sometimes things come out a bit more brusque than we would like because it's sometimes difficult to get a point or a concern across, and to be honest most of us are a bit sensitive....this is a massive thing we have done to ourselves and its a massive step to consider surgery. We would all hate for someone to be unsuccessful because they weren't prepared for the graft ahead, hence the previous replies. Don't be put off!

Back