• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Just made the big decision

Hi, my name's Katy and I've just decided to go for a gastric sleeve. I had a great consultation with Dr Ashton at Healthier Weight on Saturday and now it's just about getting the finances together.

I have been battling with my weight for over 10 years and the time has come to give up on stupid diets and bite the bullet.

Any advice, hints and tips from those who have had gastric sleeve ops would be much appreciated.

Thanks everyone! Xx

Woohoo! Well done on the decision. I hear so many good things about VSGs.

I have yet to make my decision but I think I'll be doing the same as you :)

Do you think you'll be having it soon?

Congratulations on your decision! Have you got a date for surgery in yet?

Well I'm off to Kos for two weeks on 27th August - so it will have to be after that. I'm thinking late Sept, or early Oct. My parents have just said that they will pay for it!!! I'm over the moon! I never asked them to do that - they just texted a simple "Dearest - we'll pay - Mxxx" - I'm buzzing today!!

Oh that's lovely ... Very nice of your parents & that you have their full support .... I Have the support of my husband who didn't really want me to have this done but he agreed we could afford to pay for it ourselves if it was something that I really wanted ??xx

Becky - I didn't have the support of my wife at all - she was so anti it due to all the horror stories we've all heard in the press. But then the media always love a good surgery-gone-wrong story don't they?! But after meeting the team at the hospital, and the consultant, her fears are gone and she knows it's the right thing for me. I hope your hubby understands why you need this and you get his full support x

Good luck with it all, we are the same height and a similar start weight (I was a stone heavier) Now I'm no longer overweight at 10st 6lbs and so glad I had my op (Bypass) Just wanted to wish you well xx

Wow - it's so great to see everyone's experiences on here. It just shows me it really is worth it and the results are fantastic. I can't wait to have my signature of success as long as yours! x

Well I'm off to Kos for two weeks on 27th August - so it will have to be after that. I'm thinking late Sept, or early Oct. My parents have just said that they will pay for it!!! I'm over the moon! I never asked them to do that - they just texted a simple "Dearest - we'll pay - Mxxx" - I'm buzzing today!!
great parents that's brilliant :)

Hi my hubby was worried just like your wife but again he knows it's best for me so gave his full support as I knew he would always do ???

Becky - I didn't have the support of my wife at all - she was so anti it due to all the horror stories we've all heard in the press. But then the media always love a good surgery-gone-wrong story don't they?! But after meeting the team at the hospital, and the consultant, her fears are gone and she knows it's the right thing for me. I hope your hubby understands why you need this and you get his full support x

I'm so pleased for you, Ohtobeslinky! Parents can surprise us can't they.

It's difficult when a partner is against it. Mine's not been dead against it but she's terrified of losing me in the op ... but she also knows the risks of staying overweight are greater, and the downsides more far-reaching. So she's coping... so far :)

Hi LadyLumps - I know they just care about us but you're right - the risks of staying heavy far outweigh the risks of surgery. She's making all the right supportive noises at the moment but we'll see when the date is set. I'm hoping end of September! Eeek it's so exciting.

And yes - my parents have really outdone themselves. We've had a tempestuous relationship, especially when I decided to marry a girl! But they understand how hard it's been these past years, and how hard I've tried losing weight the "conventional" ways. I know I'm extremely lucky - I don't think I could cope going down the NHS route and having to wait for so long.

Good luck with your journey hunny! :D x

Hi LadyLumps - I know they just care about us but you're right - the risks of staying heavy far outweigh the risks of surgery. She's making all the right supportive noises at the moment but we'll see when the date is set. I'm hoping end of September! Eeek it's so exciting.

And yes - my parents have really outdone themselves. We've had a tempestuous relationship, especially when I decided to marry a girl! But they understand how hard it's been these past years, and how hard I've tried losing weight the "conventional" ways. I know I'm extremely lucky - I don't think I could cope going down the NHS route and having to wait for so long.

Good luck with your journey hunny! :D x

That's it - I think once they see the everyday struggle and know of the risks of staying overweight it helps. Ooh, September... that's really not far away at all! Eeeee.

Haha, parents and marrying girls. Yes. I hear you. Takes them a while to get their heads around it in my experience! Getting married in October. They're both going to walk me down the aisle though, and they're generally doing pretty great these days :)

Good luck to you too :D Will keep everything crossed for you xxx

Oh wow! LadyLumps that's amazing. My sister walked me down the aisle as she was the only member of my family to attend my wedding. Luckily my wife's extensive family has been amazing since day 1 of our relationship so I've got them. But saying that, the parents must be ok with me in general as they're paying for me to have my tummy chopped off... wait a minute! :D xx

I guess I'm pretty lucky really. But it's great you had your sister by your side. My cousin has been a constant support through the bad times so she's my maid of honour :) Every supportive relative counts in that situation, and I hope your parents can be in both your lives now even if they weren't at wedding.

Haha but it's the good kind of tummy chop! Or at least I hope so lol xxx

Hi, my name's Katy and I've just decided to go for a gastric sleeve. I had a great consultation with Dr Ashton at Healthier Weight on Saturday and now it's just about getting the finances together.

I have been battling with my weight for over 10 years and the time has come to give up on stupid diets and bite the bullet.

Any advice, hints and tips from those who have had gastric sleeve ops would be much appreciated.

Thanks everyone! Xx
Hi Ohtobeslinky

good for you. This site is great and if you get the thread Belgium surgery, 2 ladies have just had their ops and given great pieces of info and before making my mind up, I read the whole thread as was a bit worried about opting for surgery abroad. After reading all the members experiences, I am booked in for sept 11th, flying out on set 10th and got consultation in Mcr on fri this week to determine if sleeve or MGB, then pre op diet then my surgery.
Anyway I digress, if you have time, read through and there are lots of posts about the sleeve, experiences leading up to it, during and the weeks after, liquid diet, mush diet and then back to food and tiredness etc, if you can think of it, someone has posted about it
Its so so helpful

Good luck

Welcome lady lumps!
I'm was in the same boat as you in sure many people are here to :)

Thanks Greencheeks! Which boat's that? Unsure of surgery? Getting married? Parental difficulties? Haha, many, many boats -plus I get confused easily.

Whichever it is, yay!

Back