• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Recent "newbie" from Glos, introducing herself

top_kat

I thought I posted here when I first joined, but its not showing, so although I've been posting a few posts since finding you guys, I thought I would post up an intro.

I'm Kat, 39 yr old single mum of my wonderful soon to be 12 year old. I am from Gloucestershire. I have been battling weight since I was 8 years old and have tried everything under the sun.

My last major failed attempt was LighterLife some 4-5 years ago, where I lost my 5 stone in 3 months, but ended up incredibly ill and not even able to consume 1 shake a day. :( As such, I got taken off it, and everything piled back on.

I started looking into surgery about 7 years ago, a serious fear of anaesthetic being my biggest barrier. In 2009 my Mum was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer, at that point I immediately gave up smoking, but then saw my weight grow by over 3 stone very quickly :(

As such, I've struggled on with things, almost killed myself climbing to the top of the Statue of Liberty last year on holiday, struggled to the top of the Colosseum this year, and it was our most recent holiday with my son that really made things hit home.

I spoke to my doctor about having a band who literally just laughed and said "That's a bit drastic", as such, wouldn't even consider referring me for private treatment. So, I've gone on my own.

I booked an appointment in july with Healthier Weight, saw Dr Ashton on July 10th and am booked in for my gastric band on August 23rd. Although with Healthier Weight I am due to having it at the Spire, Parkway, Solihull.

I've started a lowcal/fat diet, but heading into an attempt at the milk diet from thursday of this week.

Anyway, from another long term battler, this really is the last resort for me. And so hoping that this is going to be the way forward . . .thankfully finding this place, gives me hope and a place of support, something that is seriously lacking for me in real life.

Anyway, its good to be here!

Kat x

Tracey1404

Enjoyin' my journey....
Hi Kat welcome. I have just had a gastric band fitted (3 August) and happy to provide whatever support my limited experience to date allows! At this point I can say I am happy with my decision and looking forward to working alongside my band to finally make headway into a healthier future for myself. Use his forum, some great folks and great advice on tap. It has been a lifeline for me since my decision to get a band.

top_kat

Hi Kat welcome. I have just had a gastric band fitted (3 August) and happy to provide whatever support my limited experience to date allows! At this point I can say I am happy with my decision and looking forward to working alongside my band to finally make headway into a healthier future for myself. Use his forum, some great folks and great advice on tap. It has been a lifeline for me since my decision to get a band.

Tracey, thank you so much, and glad to hear that things are going well with you ~ how are you finding these early days?

Kat x

Tracey1404

Enjoyin' my journey....
Hi Kat - not too bad really, not sure what I expected but feeling okay. Pre op my focus was definitely on what I would / wouldn't eat post-op. I overlooked and underestimated the fact that your body has been through fairly serious surgery and there are physical limitations to cope with. Not overly painful but do make sure you allow time and space to recover, you will need it. I am day 4 post op and beginning to feel comfy sitting for periods of time. I have started a diary called Big Bird-trials and tribulations of a fatty ..... It's in the WLS diary section and tells you how I felt, what took me by surprise etc. if you want to take a look..Tracey xxx

top_kat

I will certainly take that in mind. I went into work today and extended the time I'm having out of the office post surgery. I also got my admission time for the 23rd, which isn't until 12pm. It certainly makes things more real!

flutterby1966

Welcome ans good luck kat. You are amongst lots of people here who have experienced similar ;) just ask any questions you have ...

Blackcraig

Hi Kat
I got my band 6 days ago, and everthing seems to be going well ( i'll find out on friday when I get my staples out lol!) . I love reading all the posts on here as I found so many answers to the questions I didn't even know I had!

Evenstarr

Hi Kat, I'm not a bander but a soon to be bypasser, but I wanted to say hi and welcome to the forum.
Ask us anything....nothing is too little or silly and there's nearly always someone around with good advice!
Good luck on the 23rd, just 3 days after me!
Em xxxxx

JO28172

top_kat said:
I will certainly take that in mind. I went into work today and extended the time I'm having out of the office post surgery. I also got my admission time for the 23rd, which isn't until 12pm. It certainly makes things more real!

It'll be here before you know it...eek! :D

top_kat

Thank you everyone :)

It is just so nice that I found this place, I've felt quite alone with this lot for so long, and now that its all speeding along its hard to get my head around it. I think if I was battling along with my GP to get this on the NHS I probably wouldn't feel this way, but I've had one appointment, booked surgery and then surgery date, and that isn't something Im used to lol