• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Just popping in to say hello

Becky85

Hi all so sorry I've not been around, thank you to all who responded to my 'Things I wish I knew' thread, it's been great reading stories from those who have been through surgery, no better way of learning if you ask me. I'm a bit further on in my journey, I've seen the dietitian now and next Friday (the 13th urgh) I'm seeing the psychiatrist, that one I'm really nervous about as I do have history of eating disorders and current mental health difficulties. If you saw the psychiatrist how did you find it? Everything seems to be moving really quickly, I'm told once I've seen this last person and they all come together and decided its right for me (which the surgeon and dietitian have already done) the waiting list of the actual surgery is only 8 weeks!! How is everyone else?

Thank you for the update Becky.

I didn't have a psychiatrist appointment so am happy to be corrected by those who have, but I believe the purpose is to check that you understand the impact that the surgery will have on your life - both in how you can eat after and also adjusting to the changes in 'you'.

For example, the biggest thing for me is not being able to hide behind being overweight to get out of doing things. I have to be totally honest and say 'no, I wan't abseil down that building because the thought of it scares me stupid!' - not that that has actually been a suggestion but you get what I mean :)

As much as anything else I would think it's not so much a decisive yes/no meeting but more of a 'if this lady is accepted for surgery what support do we need to have in place for her'.

As i say, I may well be wrong.

xxx

I had my psychology appointment a couple of weeks ago at Salford Royal. She was lovely. I was told that all they want, is to be sure we know what the surgery entails and the consequences i.e. loose skin, hair loss, coping with the post-surgery diet. They asked me how my family feel about it all. She said you would be surprised how many people attend not really knowing much about it at all and they feel really disheartened by that. I was told that they would only put the surgery on hold if they had strong reservations that I was not ready mentally but that they would work with me over a short period to try to get me to the point that I would be ready. It is not that they say no and that's it.

Anyhow, thank goodness all was fine and they have recommended me for surgery. Just got to get through my big appointment in January with the surgeon, bariatric nurses and dietician and God willing, surgery soon after that

Back