• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

just to say hi

gr09

hi everyone im gemma, im 22 (well nearly 4/09/92).
ive been wanting weight loss surgery since i was 16 after being referred by my mental health doctor.
anyway after 5 years of travelling back and forth to London twice a year. my doctor at St Bartholomew said that i was ready for the surgery but had to apply for the funding with my local nhs, so i filled out the forms to then be told that its all changed and i had to take part in this 4 healthy weight program, at which point i broke down and cried like a baby:cry:
any ways having now just completed all my counselling sessions, and my lovely counsellor has said im now gonna be referred to the 'warts and all' seminar and also to meet with the surgeon.

any ways ill shut up rambling now

any advice would be absolutely brilliant and also people who are further along their journey who could sort of give me an idea of what might happen next.:p

Last edited:
Welcome and good luck on your journey, can't help much I'm afraid with what happens next as I went private as my gp said it would take 2 years on nhs, and being quite an old girl I couldn't wait that long lol, x

hi... totally understand where your coming from i would go private if i could get a loan whilst on benefits and also a full time carer for my partner :(.

hello and welcome to a fab site ,read some of the posts and ask anything no question is daft or "out there" someone is bound to have asked it before!

hi los in it, how have u gone about getting the surgery, im with 4healthyweight.
how long have you been on your journey?

Hello

I know how you feel - my process has been a long one too - but not as long as your's.

I am having my bypass on the NHS too - each Health Authority has their own rules and waiting list - but here's what happened to me. After the initial consultation I had to see the Psychologist and counsellor - then four compulsory sessions, then a second meeting with the dietitian. Then back to the consultant who agreed my funding. A few weeks later I met with the surgeon and the anaesthetist - who have to agree you are fit to have surgery. They said yes, four weeks later I had a date for surgery - five weeks notice. I am nearly at the end of my liver reduction diet and my surgery is on thursday

From what you say, it's not long for you now - the last stages are quicker than the earlier ones.

Hope this helps.

cd

I know how you feel - my process has been a long one too - but not as long as your's.

I am having my bypass on the NHS too - each Health Authority has their own rules and waiting list - but here's what happened to me. After the initial consultation I had to see the Psychologist and counsellor - then four compulsory sessions, then a second meeting with the dietitian. Then back to the consultant who agreed my funding. A few weeks later I met with the surgeon and the anaesthetist - who have to agree you are fit to have surgery. They said yes, four weeks later I had a date for surgery - five weeks notice. I am nearly at the end of my liver reduction diet and my surgery is on thursday

From what you say, it's not long for you now - the last stages are quicker than the earlier ones.

Hope this helps.

cd

thats so helpful thanks, im hoping it wil quicken up now as im due to get married next august so sort of want to start to be the really me before he wedding if you get my drift.
x

I do get your drift - and completely understand. I hope things speed up for you.

cd

Back