• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

kids and food

j.u.s.t.l.i.z.

Runs Srh Support Group
i vowed that when i had kids, they wouldnt grow up like me( i say they but i have been blessed with 1 son, and i know i wont have no more) and my lifestyle i grew up with, i have pcos and had treatment when i was over weight to concieve my son, hes 8 now.

i didnt want him to grow up as i did, being the "obese" child that got bullied at school.

so because of my life as a child and what i went thro and felt, drove me more towards food and comfort eating.

i decided to be honest when he was a small child about my wls and why i needed to do it, i felt this has helped him and gave him an understanding of good and bad foods and a healthy balanced diet.

"me" size portions is a good thing, i give rye a portion for him a "My portion" size and ive always done that and gave him a portion thats correct for him and his tummy size for his age, he questions why other ppl around the table has a bigger portion than him and ive explained why and he accepts my explanation for that.

i was as a child given the same size meal on the plate as an adult, then when the weight issues came in and they tried to reduce the portion size I kicked off and gave people a hard time.

my point is here, kids are mini humans and dont need a adult portion, giving it then trying to take it away later, is such a hard part of eating, well it was for me as ive lived it, thats if im honest where my food addiction started.

liz

when i was little and poorly (as i often was) i was given pasta with ragu... and that became my comfort food.... cutting back on that has been the hardest thing ive ever done! (quitting smoking was nothing in comparison)

so i think your onto something there liz! - if its not there to start with, you can miss it!!!

.x.

its start the way u mean to carry on in life, if a good diet for kids is shown from the start, then theres not that difficulty trying to change it/take it away a few years later down the road.

thats where my road to self distruction started.

i remember my mum had to cook different meals for me and my two brothers often, i dont think that helped, its hard to keep an eye on sizes when its all diff food.. and even when we ate the same i think i got given the ame as my oldest brother (who could eat and eat ad not put on a lb!)... i did start cooking for myself when i was 15 or so... i doubt i picked the healthyest food, just the easiest!

.x.

I agree with you both, I also had a eat it all or you will sit there till you do mother and thats with the large portions too:eek: no wonder i was a fat kid I had an abusive childhood...but the bit that i carried with me to adult hood was my abusive use of food against myself. When i had my daughter I was never of the eat it or you don't leave the table....I did make sure she ate at table and never had snacks we have never had crisps or biscuits or snacky foods in the house so it was always dinner (or meal) or nothing at that seems to have worked. I also worked very hard at making sure she had a very healthy diet with loads of fruit & veggies in all forms from the start...and she is now a veggie and fruit lover. She is now 17 (I too am only blessed with one - tho I have 3 grown up step-kids and 6 grandkids) and has a lovely figure a great size 10-12 and doesn't have any major food issues at all.
I agree with you both its all about starting how you mean to go on......when my daughter started school she went to tea at another little girls house and when I picked her up she had me howling with laughter, I asked what she had for tea and she said it had been sandwiches but it wasn't in bread....I asked her what she meant and she said well it was sort of like bread mummy but it was all white and a bit like plastic....hmmm from the mouth of a child who had only ever had wholemeal :rolleyes:

My lil boy is 3, and i try to give him a good diet. Make sure he has a proper breakfast and meal times. Thankfully he loves veg, and most fruit, but he also has a very sweet tooth. He goes mad for biscuits all the time, and we dont always give in. We offer alternatives such as fruit or raisins or yogurt. But i too am terrified that he will turn out fat. He's tall for his age and a healthy weight at the moment, and always on the go, but so was i until i was 9.
He knows about my operation, and that its changed my tummy so i will get smaller (its so funny the things he comes out with).
I think i do overload his plate, but he is never forced to eat it all. And he eats much more than i do at the moment.
But its something i will certainly keep my eye on.

i vowed that when i had kids, they wouldnt grow up like me( i say they but i have been blessed with 1 son, and i know i wont have no more) and my lifestyle i grew up with, i have pcos and had treatment when i was over weight to concieve my son, hes 8 now.

i didnt want him to grow up as i did, being the "obese" child that got bullied at school.

so because of my life as a child and what i went thro and felt, drove me more towards food and comfort eating.

i decided to be honest when he was a small child about my wls and why i needed to do it, i felt this has helped him and gave him an understanding of good and bad foods and a healthy balanced diet.

"me" size portions is a good thing, i give rye a portion for him a "My portion" size and ive always done that and gave him a portion thats correct for him and his tummy size for his age, he questions why other ppl around the table has a bigger portion than him and ive explained why and he accepts my explanation for that.

i was as a child given the same size meal on the plate as an adult, then when the weight issues came in and they tried to reduce the portion size I kicked off and gave people a hard time.

my point is here, kids are mini humans and dont need a adult portion, giving it then trying to take it away later, is such a hard part of eating, well it was for me as ive lived it, thats if im honest where my food addiction started.

liz

I also vowed when I had kids they wouldn't be over weight.

I have one beautiful 19 year old daughter till she went to secondary school I was in control and so was her weight. I notice a change in her after she went through a trauma and she began to comfort eat. I tried to take control again and gave her a packed lunch for school and it work for a while.

When she was younger she use to eat veg quite happily untill she went to school and was made fun of for liking them. I'd be creative and hise them in food.
She would never over eat even sweet (fun size bars), if she'd had enough she would say mum I'am going to save these.

There is not a lot you can do as they become young adults, but just encourage them to make good choices. Which sometime can falls on deaf ears.

Back