• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Kings College Hospital London/Guys Hospital outcome letter. Confused & worried

No worries at all happy to help - I know when I went into this process I was sooooo nervous and it really helped knowing what to expect. If you want a more detailed account of what happens at the pre-op and actual day of surgery you can find that in my diary ( https://www.wlsurgery.com/threads/time-for-change-tialis-diary.161655/page-4 ) stopped posting in it pretty soon after my surgery so it's not very up-to-date but it might be helpful if you want to know what to expect on the actual day.

Thank you for the link. Your journey was tough. Can't believe that nurse!!!

Hi, the appointment went well. We spoke about the different surgeries. Asked me which one I wanted. He then gave me details to make an appointment for an endonoscopy and told me in my next appointment with him he will discuss my results and I will be put on the waiting list. He also said it will be a 9 month wait for surgery after my next appointment with him. My endonoscopy is booked for monday and my appointment with him is on the 1st of March.

I see you are being seen at Kings too.

Yes I am at KCH too (via GSTT).

That sounds like my appointment. Although I discussed the same things with the bariatric nurse a few months before that and this chat was a lot more technical.
I had my endoscopy before that appointment though.
Was told it would be at least 8 months till surgery from now.

I really feel like an idiot though as I did not ask for the guy’s name at this appointment.
I know it wasn’t Rubino but I was pretty nervous and just forgot to ask.

I called them a few days later to ask who I had had the appointment with and they couldn’t tell me... ‘all these registrars and consultants come and go’.
They would try and find out and call me back.

Who did you have the appointment with?

I just assumed it was Dr Rubino but now you say that im not sure if it was him lol.

I should be seeing him in the next appointment so i'll find out then if it was him or not.

I'll have to take a look at the letter that came after the appointment that states what we discussed as the name of the person who I saw should be on there.

What do you mean by more technical?

Well, it was more about how they actually do the surgery.
“5 small holes, this is where and how we cut and why, how we sew over the staple line, size of bougies” (OK, I asked about that last one )
Number of surgeries, complication rate.

I did ask about still loosing weight and having an slightly lower BMI and he was very very adament; once the MDT has decided to put you forward, you are on the waiting list for surgery.
I guess the “put foward” bit is in case any medical contraindications would crop up once the surgeon has given you the once over.

Oh and I never get any post appointment letters... it all feels so hit and miss...

Thank you for that information. All that was discussed in my last appointment. Except the number of surgeries and complication rates. I saw pictures on the computer on the bypass and sleeve and it was discussed in depth. How they do it, what they do. And why they would need to cut.

You should find out if you can get letters after each appointment. Its a copy of the letter that gets sent to your gp. That way you will know things are moving along nicely.

Were you told when you would get your surgery date?

I was told at least 8 months from now till surgery.

No mention of when they would confirm a date.

They did say I seem to have multiple hospital accounts as they made a mistake with my name.
Maybe that’s why I’m not receiving letters.
I definitely need to clear that up.

Hi All

Firstly, thank you for this thread. It is comforting to know this is not a lonely path.

I have just been referred to KCH to be considered for “urgent” surgery. I guess I will be hearing from KCH for the initial appointment soon. I have my sleep clinic appointment next week as I had to reschedule.

Those who have had the op or are close to having it, did you do anything before hand to help reduce excess skin?

Hi All

Firstly, thank you for this thread. It is comforting to know this is not a lonely path.

I have just been referred to KCH to be considered for “urgent” surgery. I guess I will be hearing from KCH for the initial appointment soon. I have my sleep clinic appointment next week as I had to reschedule.

Those who have had the op or are close to having it, did you do anything before hand to help reduce excess skin?
Hi, welcome and good luck,
I had a bypass in April and have lots of loose skin I’m afraid, bingo wings tops of legs (front and back), butt, hips, neck, my tummy isn’t to bad at the moment there still seems to be a bit of fat in there. So to answer you question, no I didn’t look into that pre-surgery, I wish I had of done, let us know if you find a magic cure. Xxx

Back