• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Kitty's losing weight :(

jaxx

My cat Kitty (she came with the name) is 15 years old. Last year she had a problem with her thyroid and had it removed. She lost a lot of weight whilst we were trying to treat her thyroid problem and although she put a little bit back on, she's never got back to her usual slightly chunky self.

Recently I've noticed that she's losing weight yet again. She's not eating much and I'm getting really worried for her. I've tried offering her kitten food as it has a higher calorie content and more nutrition but she turns her nose up at it. At the moment she's having a whiskas meat in jelly pouch a day and not much else. She has biscuits down permanently but she's not touching them. I've started adding some vitamin and condition paste to her food which she seems to like so at least she's getting some nutrients into her that way.

I was just wondering if you guys had any ideas as to what I could give her that could help her gain some weight. I'm obviously going to take her to the vet but I can't get in until Thursday and until then I need some ideas. To complicate things further she has a very sensitive stomach and usually has some form of soft stools or the runs.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Picture 175.jpg
    Picture 175.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 31
My poor cat who died few weeks ago from a heart condition stopped eating and the advice the vet gave me was to warm the food up slightly to make it more aplealing , and he did eat a little more . Maybe its worth a try just to keep her strength up till you see the vet , hope all goes well x

Aw Im sorry I dont have any useful advice apart from trying it warm as Rybans said, but I hope shes ok (HUGS) X

I took Kitty to the vet this morning. The vet suggested we cleaned her teeth as she has a plaque build up on her teeth. He wants to do a blood test before hand and if nothing is flagged up in the test then she'll get her teeth cleaned.

I bought her some pate style food today and she's eaten some of it which is good.

When i need to boost the weight on my persians i use raw meat, such as steak or steak mince it has a lot of protein in it, i bring all my kittens up on raw food and also high quality biscuits. As i am a breeder it is a problem for us this time of year as the girls are calling and my studs lose weight. The raw meat is also good for their teeth helps with the tartar.
Hope your Kitty is ok.

Kitty's blood test showed an over active thyroid which she's now got medication for. She also had two teeth removed, the rest were cleaned and she was also groomed whilst under anesthetic.

She'd had one lobe of her thyroid removed last year and was recovering well but it seems whatever affected the lobe that was removed has now affected the remaining one. She might need another op to have the remaining lobe removed.

She's eaten some mushy food this evening and had loads of cuddles off me.

Took Kitty to the vet today for a check up. The vet weighed her and she's the same weight she was when they weighed her in February so the vet seems to think that she's put some on and then lost it again and that's why it felt like she'd lost weight.

She's to take her thyroid medication for the rest of her life now but she's got a good quality of life at the minute so it's not quite the end. I've moved her food bowl and litter tray (and added another litter tray) around in my flat and she seems to appreciate that and I've started offering her two types of wet food (as well as biscuits) in the evenings and she's eating more now which is a good thing. The other thing is she won't drink out of her water bowl despite fresh water daily, she'll only drink out of the plug hole in the bath! lol So I'm leaving the plug in the bath with some water in it so she'll have two different sources of water if she should feel like it. I've also bought a feliway plug in which seems to be helping her relax and calm down a bit which I'm pleased about.

Back