• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Knee replacement

looking forward

Strange question I know, but did anyone need knee replacement after losing weight. I have lost weight due to gastric band op 3 years ago. My knees were fine when I was heavier. Now it seems I might need knee replacement surgery on my right knee.
I'm really worried about this op and would love to hear from someone whose had it.

Yes had both knees replaced over the past year. My bypass was 3.5 years ago and lost 22st+ so on one level it was a bit of a disappointment when the knees didn't improve with all that weight gone. However if I am honest there is going to be real damage lurking after years at 32st+. The op is challenging but I recovered very quickly and didn't find it too painful, although others report that they did. You will need intensive phsyio afterwards to get the 'bend' in the joint back to a reasonable level. For me the tip was to do whatever they ask you regardless of the discomfort or pain and invest in doing the exercises yourself every day it does pay off even though you could curse at the time. It has made a 85% improvement in my mobility and reduced the pain tremendously but left me with some problems but I wouldn't change my decision to have them done. Its made my bypass really worthwhile now I can get about better again.

Good luck and hope it goes well for you

M

Thank you so much for that. I'm really concerned about the op, how long I'll need off work , how successful it will be.As you said years of extra weight on the joints takes it tole.I'm meeting with the surgeon next week to discuss it all.

Back