• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sleeve on 1st November & NERVOUS!

orangenfruity

Hi, I am due to have my sleeve gastrectomy on 1st November. At the moment I am having mixed feelings - looking foward to having it and starting to lose weight and also wondering what I am doing!
I am sure it is the right thing as I will be having a knee replacement middle of next year and (because I am only 39) I need it to last as long as possible.
Due to the two forms of arthritis I have had since I was six years old life hasn't been easy, but the last five years have been really tough. I had to give up my business and give up driving so I am hoping that losing weight and having a knee replacement will at least allow to get back to doing some of the things I love!
I also have a one year old granddaughter now and I would love to be able to take her for a walk!
I know it isn't a cure all having the sleeve and a knee replacement and I am certainly not expecting to be pain free, but being more mobile would definitely help.

Sorry for rambling on, I guess I am more nervous than I thought!

Sounds like you're feeling exactly the same as me, I'm having my bypass on the 7th and I'm still terrorising myself with should I shouldn't I. I look on here and see all the happy people who have had it done and for whom life has improved so much which puts my mind at ease but then I dive down and ask myself if I'll be ok. I know that I have to do it, if I don't it wont be a gastic bypass I'll be needing but a heart bypass, since having a heart atack last November.

I do think it's something we all go through and I don't think we'd be human if we didn't.

Good luck for the 1st. I'll be thinking of you.

Love Kate x

Hiya, I totally understand where you are coming from, I had my operation on Monday, and am here to tell the tale, they do so many of them these days you will be fine, saying that i got myself in such a state on the Sunday i was awful i had in my head that i would never wake up again, but once i got to the hospital and saw the other 3 ladies all having it done i felt so much better.

I went down for my operation at 11.30 and was on the ward by 2pm, like nothing had happened, wont lie the Monday and Tuesday where not great as I don't do aesthetic well, but am fine now, full face and hair done and just off out with my little girl, it will give me a better quality of life and since i have left the hospital on Monday i no longer have to inject 4 times a day insulin just the once, and am off my blood pressure tablets so well worth it and this is just the start.

I have lost in 2 weeks 1 stone 6lb - you both will be fine xxxxxxxx :)

It is natural to feel nervous *hug*
Think of all the reasons you want the operation v your future without it. Choosing this route isn't easy, I'm sure that you have tried lots of other ways that didn't help in the long term (I know I have) The physical and emotional pain associated with excess weight can be overlooked by other people and lead us to think we are failures for needing help - but only a person on this path knows the strength and determination it takes to manage every single day.
You wouldn't be considered for surgery if it was too risky, you will be in safe hands and there are people here and in our lives that will give support when we need it.

Good luck XXXX

Thank you for your replies. I know it is the best thing for me, I am just nervous!
Kate, I will post when I am home from hospital and let you know How it went. Good luck with yours to x

Hi there, I was nervous as hell per op but come the day you will just go with the flow, and get your self to theatre, and then you wake up all done!!

I wish I worried much much less now tbh!!

You will be fine, and on the losers bench before you know it!

It's a big step you're taking and I'd be more concerned if you weren't nervous :)
It is a big Op even though it's all keyhole but you are in the best hands and as others have said you'll be back on the ward in no time wondering what all the fuss was about!
I'm 1 month post op today and I think it's the best thing I've done in many a year.
I too have a dodgy knee (torn cartilage) and I'm already feeling the benefit of the weight I've lost and I'm walking a mile a day with no pain as opposed to 200 yards and Limping like a limpy thing in a lot of pain.
Don't feel bad about being nervous it's natural
Good luck and I'll see you on the bench in November :)

Wow so like my story, i had to give up driving 2 years ago because i need 2 knee replacements. I am so nervous as well and i have my bypass the day before yours. Keep going in between weepy and happy. It will be so worth it in the long run and i wish you a speedy recovery xx

Good luck to all having their ops over the next week or so - the knee problems seem to be a common theme, and like you I'm hoping to see an improvement in my arthritis, and this post shows that that isn't a forlorn hope. Thanks for posting.

I think it is totally normal to feel worried hun. I am so excited about it but I do have that thought is this the right thing? I can say yes to that but it's still there. Good luck on the first.

Back