• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Knee replacement

Aw, you in pain sweetie :wave_cry: I don't know the exact answer, but my son in law's mum, had both hers done last year & she is about 14 stoneish & the question of weight was never raised. She was up & walking pain free in no time :) Good luck, honey ... hope someone can be of more use than me :eek::eek: xxx

Hi sweetie, My knee seems to be getting much worse but i feel its because i am doing alot more since losing weight. Went hospital yesterday and they took new xrays. Consultant says that my knee is such a mess so back at docs in morning to get appt at hospital but i think they will want more weight of yet. I have been told they like you around 13 stone eeeek it will take me alot longer to get to that. Nice to hear from you i have been hiding abit lately so much going on and have felt really low. Big hugs sweetie x

Hi sweetie, My knee seems to be getting much worse but i feel its because i am doing alot more since losing weight. Went hospital yesterday and they took new xrays. Consultant says that my knee is such a mess so back at docs in morning to get appt at hospital but i think they will want more weight of yet. I have been told they like you around 13 stone eeeek it will take me alot longer to get to that. Nice to hear from you i have been hiding abit lately so much going on and have felt really low. Big hugs sweetie x

Oooh, that sounds really painful & must stop you doing a lot of the exercises that would help the weight come off :( Do you swim? That would be the best exercise & really burns the calories. Won't be long before they will look at the possibility of a new knee & then there will be no stopping you :D It's a bit rock & hard place like really ... do they give you the op knowing you will be able to do more after or wait until you lose the weight albeit in lots of pain hmmm no brainer to me. You take care, lovely :):):) xxx Hope your mum is doing well, mwah xxx

Hi ive not had my knee done but had a achillies tendon decompression in january this year. i had a spinal so i was awake and was in a cast for 6 weeks. this was before i had my band operation 2 weeks ago and i weighed 18st 10lb. i hope you can get the operation you need sooner rather than later. keeping fingers crossed for you. Hx

Can often depend on the particular surgeon. Thinner the better they say as the heavier you are the more prone the knee is to wearing out quicker. Only predict 15-20 years life for the joint replacement. So younger you are they tend to be even stricter. Our local NHS takes loads into consideration but 18 stones is their max unless very exceptional circumstances. I was 11st 4lbs when I had the first one done last year and I'm just below that this year for the next one in 12 days time. Losing 20 stones did nothing to reduce the knee pain so then I knew it was time to get on that table again. Its not the best of experiences and often the replacement only makes a partial improvement but for me even 70% improvement in the first one is well worth having.

Good luck I hope that you get it done soon.

M

I have been told they like you around 13 stone eeeek it will take me alot longer to get to that.

I was declined knee surgery 4 years ago (when I weighed 21 stone -- same as now) because of my weight (when it was not even so bad then) and denied again 6 months ago, but told the orto surgeon will now be willing to review things after my gastric op and "significant weight loss".

They haven't specified how much is significant, but I am guessing at least 100 lbs.

However, I know 2 people at work who had knee replacements who were overweight where their weight seemed to be overlooked (because I believe in their cases their obesity was not their main overriding problem -- the knee problem was).

One of these was a very short 5'0" lady approx 15 stone ..... and the other a very tall lady (almost 6 foot) who must be at least 19 stone. **

** But again, other than her knee problems she has no other obesity related problems and I don't think she particularly wants to lose weight or even consider WLS -- she is just not that type of person.

It did annoy me that someone who weighs at least 19 (or poss even 20) stone went straight to surgery for her knees ...... when I have been denied twice. :mad:

Back