• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

L&d first appt at obesity clinic with Dr

dreamofbeingslim

Can't wait for next appt
Can anybody that has been to L&D let me know what happens at the first appt with the dr at the obesity clinic. I had a letter today to say I have an appt on Thursday.

Hi Sharron
I am at the Luton & Dunstable on the 1st appointment i saw the the nurse who did the height, & weight, i had a blood test and then a heart monitor test, and in the afternoon i saw the doctor, who told me about the operations available and a few other questions. The blood test was supposed to have been a fasting test but nobody told me that so i had eaten, but they still did bloods. They are all really nice at the clinic, so you don't have nothing to worry about.
Hope this helps, and good luck on your visit.

i have my first appointment on friday at l&d, but i have been told as i am only seeing the consultant he willbe do all the tests i need i was told to do a fasting test as well, does anyone know how long it is from your first appointment to the actual op?

Well mine was about 18 months but we did have a communication problem ie they forgot about me, so that can be cut down to just less than a year:)

Sharon

hi sharron can you tell me how to add my glittername and my ticker to my profile please as i cant seem to do it ? also when i go to my profile it is saying i donthave permission so i cant open it ? do you know what i have to do hun .xx

You need to have 50 posts to do most thinks. I think if you click on my glitter name it will lead you to the link then you have to go to edit your signature and copy and paste it. I think that is right.

You are right not to get too excited at this point. It will all happen in time but not soon enough. Some people find the waiting time is beneficial as you do need time to prepare mentally.

If you do not have funding you will first be a medical patient at the L&D obesity clinic then when you receive your funding you will graduate to a surgical patient.

At my first appointment I seen the obesity nurse after having my fasting blood tests, she then weighed me and we spoke a length about my health. I also filled in a long questionnaire which covered my life and experiences with my weight problems. She referred me directly to the consultant due to my situation. I seen him a week later. From there we started the funding process.

I spent a year as a medical patient at L&D but sadly I failed to get my funding. The consultant at the L&D then informed me that they could not do my surgery even thou I fitted the criteria and they recommended the surgery for me. He was very nice but rules are rules!

I was satisfied with my experiences at L&D. The obesity nurse was very very nice. I would have been happy to have my surgery there but it wasn't to be. The consultants were very supportive towards me.

I think you will get your funding as Cambridgeshire are more sympathetic towards the needs of obese patients. You need to get your GP on your side and help you as much as possible.

Best wishes. Stay strong. You will get there.

Hi, i'm at l&d, and it's took 11 months from start to op.
My gp got my funding, then i had to choose either heartlands or l&d, i chose l&d.
Sue.

Thank you Gingernutter that info is very helpful. Luckily I have a fantastic gp that is behind me 100%, she doesn't understand why they turned me down in the first place. When we went to appeal she wrote a fantastic appeal for me unfortunately they still said no. She spoke with the lady at the pct the other week and told her she is concerned about my general health and so the lady at the pct (exceptional cases panel) asked the chair of the panel whether this counts as new medical info (high blood pressure, mild sleep apneoa and liver problems). Fortunately he said yes it does, so now my gp needs to write a letter explaining my health problems and how it affects my day to day life. It goes to panel on the 14th January so fingers crossed.

Thank you Sue.

Hope it doesn't snow too heavily before I get home tonight. Apparently it is already snowing at the black cat roundabout and I don't need to be there until 3.30 so I hope it stops.

good luck hun
x

i got funding on the first letter my dr sent. i dont know if it because im diabetic, and have problems with blood pressure. my dr did say that most of the time the pct turn you down at first, i have my first appointment at luton tomorrow so i will let you know how i got on, im worried as my bp has gone up a lot and im now on pills to lower it.

my gp referd me in oct - funding no problem - 1st appoitment at l&d feb op was 25th november :D

I saw the doctor and a bariatric nurse on my foirst appointment. I had to fill in an extensive form which took a while.
I had blood tests, a cardiogram and height and weight.

Then I got an echocardiogram appointment through the post.

Episode 2, was the triple. Nurse, dietician and psychologist.

My operation for a bypass is 28th January. With Mr Date.

Thank you tyraboots. Here is how I got on.

Hi all went well at the hospital today. The dr I saw said I am an ideal candidate for a gastric bypass, unfortunately we can't progress any further until funding has been authorised. He didn't understand why I haven't been granted the funding already. He is going to write a letter to back up my request for funding. As soon as that has been authorised my gp needs to let them know, then I will be given an appt for 3 months later to see phsycologist, dietician and bariatric nurse all on the same day and to have an echo of my heart done aswell. Then after that I will see the surgeon and sign the consent form and will have the op not long after that. He said in all from funding it should be within 6 months. Yippee. Fingers crossed for January.

Back