• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Self funding

hmd12

Hi it would be great to hear from other self funders. I'm beginning my journey with my sister both of us having struggled with our weight for most of our lives, same old story losing 8-9 stone regaining it and losing at least 3 times. My sister had a lap band 4 years ago but had a lot of problems with it but I am a newbie to this. We are going over to Belgium to Dr Dillinger and although not confirmed yet surgery will be w/c 19th September

only came to a decision about this last week but it looks like we have the loan all sorted. Big commitment in these tough financial times I know but the way I have felt this week I know it's the right decision.

My weight has ruled my life for the last 30 years I'm 50 in a couple of weeks so this next decade I will be ruling my weight

Hi, I'm self funding too, feel unsure and guilty about spending so much money on myself, especially as there are lots of things that could spend the money on to benefit the whole family. However, also feel that this will be good for the whole family, to have a healthier, happier and more energetic wife/mother must be better for everyone.
Good luck with your whole experience, hope it all goes well x

Hi guys, I no exactly how you feel. I have had the surgery and still feel guilty about spending all that money on myself. I just keep reminding myself that the benefits for the family and myself far outweigh the financial strain. Of course if there wasn't such a thing a health postcode lottery then we wouldn't all be worrying like this.

Hi guys I'm self funding too - I don't feel guilty at all. I'm trying to justify the money but I don't feel guilty. I'm pretending I bought a new car! The price in Belgium is £3900 - not too bad and that includes 3 nights in a hotel for two people. Good luck with your journey.

Good to here from you it is very hard to justify the money but as my sister said if I needed a car I wouldn't have half as much doubt. I also keep thinking about how much money I have thrown down the drain over just last 5 years joining and rejoining slimming clubs buying smaller clothes and bigger clothes even 9 months on a liquid only diet at over £70 per month, I was so worried about telling my husband thought he would not approve re the loan but he has been very kind about the whole thing which helps. Am so excited about this though so I know it right I wish you well on your weight loss journeys let me know how things go

Like you all I am suffering huge guilt about my spend. My band and the aftercare cost me 6950 - all of my savings and a few thou borrowed too. In my head I am offsetting it against my happiness, the amount i spend on clothes to try and disguise my shape, the shopping I do when down about my weight, the trips I miss out on as I think I am too fat etc but still the nagging thoughts that I could have got a car for us, an excellent holiday or just made it easier to afford all the day to day stuff we scrimp for.

Im glad its not just me but my weight has ruled my life every day since I was about 14 and I cant turn 40 the same way. I wish you all the luck in the world and the reassurance that it will be well worth it in the long run, for all of us x x x

Am self funding too and found it realy hard at first but it all came right when my best friend bought a car for 12000 and I said that will last u a few years and my op is 11450 and for life.

My fab mam n dad are lending me the money on a loan basis and repaying every month which is great, they are the best

Am 23 and have been over weight for as long as I can remember I want to live my life and stop hinding away.... Plus I want to get married but told my boyfriend of 5years nearly I won't b a far bride so dnt ask...

Your life out ways the cost a million times over and don't forget that ladies xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

hello im self funding also i had my bypass on 6th june 2011 ive lost 19lbs since then my bypass was 10650 and worth every penny, yes i to felt the guilt but my life out weighed that, my daughter gets married next year and i wasnt going to be the fat mother of the bride , but at the end of the day what price do we put on our life because if i kept going in the same direction as i was i would have had no life to speak of.

Thank you all so much for your replies re self funding, I feel much more positive and far less selfish now. It really helps knowing others have felt the same way after making this momentous decision
Looking forward to keeping in touch with you all
September can't come soon enough for me
For once in a very long time Im looking forward to the rest of my life

Thanks everyone for the support. I feel less selfish knowing others have made the same momentous decision suffering the same pangs of guilt.

I look forward to going forward and sharing our journeys together, it's good to be in touch with likeminded people and not have to worry about reactions.

Can't wait until September. For once I am looking forward to the rest of my life.

Liggielass would love to hear how things are going for you, the op, your recovery period, what and how you are eating at the moment. Apart from the funding aspect I have only a couple of other concerns one being that I really want to get back to work after 2 weeks I only work part time 12.30 to 5.30 office desk bound job is this realistic, the other being exercise. I have always tended to be an exercise phobic but am trying to think about realistic goals I am thinking walking and am getting an exercise bike so no excuses on those cold wet days

I paid £10,000 last September for my bypass and have no guilt it has been worth every penny because i have my life back. In January last year i weighed 25st 8lb i now weigh 14st 4lb. Good Luck to all.

i justified mine,by saying that i have been with my husband 21 years & adding all his cigarettes up,over those years & saying now it was my turn.in all fairness,he never questioned the cost,just saying he was behind me 100%.my bypass cost £11500.
it is alot of money,but i couldn't go on,getting bigger & bigger,year after year.
tracy

Im self funded and had my op 2 days ago. i dont regret putting most of the cost on my credit card as it will be worth it. will also be saving on meals out and food costs over the coming months!

Miss d

Hi i am the sister of hmd12 and i am so sure we are doing the right thing , just making the decission has made me a happier. As mentioned i had a band fitted in june 2007 and although had weight loss i had to many problems with over tightening , stays in hospital etc i have become scared to use the tool. I now have no restriction and all the weight plus more has gone back on. When i had the band i was never sure it was the right option for me but this time round i know i am taking the right path and cannot wait for my new life to begin. To have my sister with me on this journey just makes all the better , from the day we made the decission to the day of the op , i have a companion and best friend who will share my worries , my highs and lows. I feel lucky to share all this with her. H , just think about this time next year and shopping for wedding outfits in normal shops. Can,t wait.
;)

I find some days are better tahn others, re the guilt. But my family have been tremendous they all want whats best for me.

some days I think that I'm worth it and others I worry like others here that We could spend the money better, one of my daughters is in the middle of building her own house and the other is desperate to buy her own home, they both could really do with some cash assistance, and here I am about to spend £10500 just to lose weight.!

I have another little girl, 7 and a new granddaughter and I know if I don't do this I might not be around to see them grow up. Plus I want to play with them not stand around on the sidelines

Yes today is a positive day.....hopefully it will last until op day in early Sept

Back