• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Left Shoulder and arm pain

amanda577

I'm 9 days out after gastric bypass surgery, and am still having quite intense left shoulder pain and also spreads down my left arm everytime I breathe in.. Did anyone else experience this? It seems to be going on for such a long time. I would've thought if it was just the trapped wind from the surgery that it would've gone by now. Would be really grateful to hear other peoples experiences of this....

Hi Amanda. I had referred shoulder pain radiating down arm set in 3 days after surgery. IT was very acute and, like you said, was worse when breathing in. I called my provider twice and on their advice saw my GP just to have my Blood pressure taken. Im now 15 days post surgery and still have milder shoulder pain, but usually after I have eaten. Lessening each day. Try not to worry, I have taken paracetamol 500 mg dissolved when I was very acute. Hope it clears up soon. Ps, it is due to a nerve that runs from abdominal muscles, past heart and left lung and into shoulder being displaced by wind, , hence the pain. Tracey xxx

Thank you so much for the info Tracey!! Was really beginning to think I was having a heart attack it was so bad this morning. I will go see my GP next week and get my blood pressure taken just to be on the safe side, but don't feel quite so worried now I know that someone else has experienced it also xxx

Thank you so much for the info Tracey!! Was really beginning to think I was having a heart attack it was so bad this morning. I will go see my GP next week and get my blood pressure taken just to be on the safe side, but don't feel quite so worried now I know that someone else has experienced it also xxx
Hi Amanda - I receive same reassurance from others on WLS, also a close friend of mine had hysterectomy and suffered exactly the same pain only hers lasted over 3 and half weeks - they use CO2 to inflate stomach for gynae ops also. We are not unique, but my is it painful!!! Tracey xxx

They warned me about the wind pain and they did say sometimes you get that in your left shoulder, but didnt say anything about it might radiate down the left arm also so was really scared... If it goes on longer than another week then I think I will get to my GP and just ask him to check me over to be on the safe side, but now I know that I am not the only one experiencing this, I feel much better.....

Back