• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

letter back from hospital, any info greatly welcomed long post

claudia24

hoping to be a mummy soon
so i had my letter back from my hospital after my doctor sent in my request to have the surgery. this is what it said.........

we have recently recieved a letter from ur g.p dr ****** about ur request for bariatric surgery.

althought the NHS does not usually offer this treatment, we do consider every request on its merits. iam enclosin a leaflet which explains how the NHS makes desisions on whether to provide treatment in cases such as yours, what you need to do next, and hpw long this process should take.

as we are going to consider your case further we need to have your written agreement that we can ask for more information about you, this information for example could be medical records from your gp.

i have enclosed with this letter a 'consent form' for you to fill in and send back to me, that will enable us to ask for the information we need. when sending this info back to me if you so wish, send a written statement explaining why you think you need this treatment, you can ask someone else such as a friend, relative or advisor to help u with this, or to provide it on your behalf if u prefer.

well that my letter, consider i only went to my doctor about two weeks ago im shocked to get a response back so quickly.

i was just wonder what do i write about why i need this treatment, well i know what to write just not how to word it, if u know what i mean.

ive been overweight since i was about 11, tried every diet under the sun and moon :rolleyes: then a year ago i broke my ankle and had surgery, so i can barely just stand up for my job, exercisin is out of the question and my doctor understand that, have to have more surgery to remover the metal plate i have in my ankle, am back at the hospital for that in september to see my consultant to see if i deff need to have it removed, i was off work nov 07 to jan 08 with my back as i have a reaaly back back somethin to do with a mecanical problem with my lower back it gets so bad some times and all i used to get told was to lose weight which cant be done when i can move at all, and with my ankle i did that end if june 08 and only went back to work end of jan this year so i was sat around for nearly 7 months, it was that bad a break i was on bedrest for months so of course i put on weight andf im lucky my doctor understands all this :eek:.

im so sorry if this has been too long to read xxxxxxxx

just put in your letter what you have to us from the heart why you feel this op will benefit you and how you are willing to work with it to change your life. wishing you loads of luck an hope you hear soon xxxxxx

Itemise all the problems you have and dont hold back,even personal things!If you find it hard to wipe your bum tell em!sweat rashes tell em!No sex life tell em!cry yourself to sleep,depression,bowel movements,incontinence,morbid thoughts etc,etc lay yourself open and you will get help.I cried my leg off at my first appointment.Hope all goes well for you.x

ive been overweight since i was about 11, tried every diet under the sun and moon then a year ago i broke my ankle and had surgery, so i can barely just stand up for my job, exercisin is out of the question and my doctor understand that, have to have more surgery to remover the metal plate i have in my ankle, am back at the hospital for that in september to see my consultant to see if i deff need to have it removed, i was off work nov 07 to jan 08 with my back as i have a reaaly back back somethin to do with a mecanical problem with my lower back it gets so bad some times and all i used to get told was to lose weight which cant be done when i can move at all, and with my ankle i did that end if june 08 and only went back to work end of jan this year so i was sat around for nearly 7 months, it was that bad a break i was on bedrest for months so of course i put on weight andf im lucky my doctor understands all this .

im so sorry if this has been too long to read xxxxxxxx

It sounds as if your doctor is on side and will do their very best to get you through the process. You are a deserving case so I wouldn’t worry about getting approved.
In your letter you need to set out the reasons this surgery is vital if you are to have a chance of a normal life.
If your job requires you to be on your feet you should stress that your weight is complicating your recovery from your broken ankle and will ultimately result in you no longer being able to do your job. The stress of losing your job in the near future is adding to your problems with food and weight control.
Also the added weight is aggravating your back problems which coupled with your ankle make exercise almost impossible at this stage. You have tried to lose weight by diet but being unable to exercise makes it very difficult, and this is leaving you feeling helpless and hopeless.
You genuinely believe weight loss surgery despite the risks is your only real chance of losing the weight you need to shed to take the strain off your back and ankle, and to give you a chance of regaining the life you once had.
Speak to your doctor about this before you send the letter. Take it with you so they can check it before it goes as you want to be singing from the same hymn sheet.
Good luck and keep us informed.

I could not have said it any better than what Karlos has already said.

Only things I would add is that is that it does sound like the first appointment some people get before the next stage....I have not heard this before, but I bet some here on Mini's have.

Take your letter to your GP and see if he/she can go through it with you. Where you might need a supporting statement your GP is probably the best judge...It won't hurt to get something form your nearest and dearest also...The best thing is be honest.

You do have a case for WLS and it does sound like you are on that vicious cycle of trying to lose weight, but can't because of relating health issues.

I hope you get sorted really quickly...Good luck.

(((hugs)))

Hi I agree with everyone else. You need to be totally honest with them. Tell them everything you have tried in the past. Also include how your weight effects you in day to day life, what you can and can't do. Tell them how it makes you feel and what you think the surgery would do for your quality of life.

good luck with the letter, it sounds like you've had some good advice from the others on here. You'll have no trouble!!

Back