• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Life Lesson from an unsuccessful bander

Elsa

I'm posting this because I wish I'd read something like this when I was thinking about getting the band. First I want to say this isn't a horror story or a medical procedure gone wrong, this is just me not really understanding how the band worked (and a few teething problems)

I had a band fitted in 2012, I was over 17stone and at 5ft 2 that was very obese. I was having back problems I couldn't stand or walk for longer than 10-15 minutes at a time before my back would give up on me. It turns out I have arthritis in the spine and the weight was aggravating it. I'd tried every diet going and though the band was my last hope.

The surgery went well and I started the fills but I couldn't seem to find the "sweet spot" everyone talked about, I'd have a restriction for a day or two then nothing. After about 9 months they sent me for a x-Ray to check for a leak but nothing was found so they then spent about another 9 month monitoring the level of fill in my band each time I went back in. After almost 2 years it was clear the level of fill was not matching the records of what was being put in so although they didn't know where the leak was they decided to change my port and see if that fixed it. So new port I started again but two things had now changed, 1. I'd lost the motivation (I'd lost a stone and a half and the bad back had gone) 2. I'd lost belief in the band. It did work this time but I ended up having too much fill out in because I didn't trust that it wouldn't ease off again and I didn't trust myself.

It was so tight that even milk would cuddle before it had passed through the band. So I found myself living of chocolate, biscuits and crisps and guess what the weight went back on!!

Knowing I had to do something I went and had the band loosened, not completely but about half way probably just under the sweet spot. I still have some restriction and I can't eat dry chicken for example or sausages or bacon, but a good piece of fillet steak will be ok (small portion). Then knowing my head wasn't in the right place I decided I needed to follow a formal diet. I tried weightwatchers first which was ok for about a month but found the same issues coming in and am now on the Cambridge diet which is a strict VLCD. I have lost more weight in 2 months on the Cambridge Diet than I did in 4 years with the band alone.

The band is not useless, It does still Force me to eat slow when I do eat (occasional small protein meal) and it does make bingeing difficult, I certainly can't grab a burger from macca's and I hope it will help me with portion control when I start to reintroduce eating properly but as a diet tool it didn't work for me. I put too much faith in it being the answer and it is not. it just one more tool in the arsenal and unless you have the commitment to follow through with the changed eating habits it can't do anything. I know it has helped lots of people and that is great I just wanted to put my story here to give anyone thinking about it the full picture so that they can make informed decision. Now I have it I'll try and use it to support me but if I'd known what I do now I wouldn't have put myself through it because my eating issues where not portion size related but emotional eating and chocolate.

Hi Elsa, i'm with you on this one. I've not had it in that long but i'm really worried that it has been a massive mistake. The reason I am overweight is that I ate too much chocolate/crisps/cakes etc, and guess what - I can still eat all that crap, and eating more of it as struggling with the healthy food. Not sure if I still need time to adjust but feeling very angry about it all. I've now resorted to slimming tablets as my husband who funded the band is losing his patience with it all and I'm desperate to show him that it is working and I've not just gone and blown £5k and ruined my ability to ever eat normally again. It hasn't helped me at all yet, just making me mess up my eating habits even more :-(

Without a doubt you're more than welcome to your opinions. Clearly your views and experience come with integrity and I understand that.

However, may I ask how that makes a member like myself who had gastric band surgery a week ago feel?

Someone who has saved, worked extra hours, missed family holidays to pay for this surgery?

Someone who a week out of surgery questions her decision everyday but who's mind is put at rest by the members on this forum. Who are very realistic I may add...I tell you of the difficulties but the joys too.

For the person who can barely walk up her own stairs at 37 years old and wants desperately to be more active with her little girl?

You see all of those things are me. I hanging onto every piece of wisdom, knowledge, fun I can get from this forum.

Whilst I understand the road has been rocky for you. I'm pleased you've found something in the meantime.

Please understand I write this post with no aggression at all. I know how things can be confused. But I do write with upset and unease with your post.

I've read and chatted with many people on here who have had conversions where the band hadn't worked for them but with that there's always a clear message of support for others on this journey.

In summary, a disappointing and disheartening post to start with and the first I've ever come across on this brilliant forum.

MOrning girls :) i do try hard not to respond to these kind of posts because everyone will have a different point of view and it always ends up getting raw and ultimately someone gets upset (me mainly lol) so i'm going to try and keep this upbeat..... I can only speak from my own heart and from my own experience........ i was banded just over 2 years ago........ I had mine fitted via the NHS, it was a slow, long drawn out process BUT I believe I was fully aware of the bands capabilities before i even got as far as the hospital bed lol

Many weeks were spent talking of diets, right foods, portion sizes, the rules etc etc so i feel i was pretty well clued up...... I knew my band was never going to stop my eating of 'bad' foods but i felt pretty sure just having the band would help 'sort' my brain out at least....... if you understand the concept of the band we all know its not a cure all.... it is just a mere tool to 'help' us make better choices.......

I think honestly most are keen to have fills hoping for 'restriction' and end up too restricted...... The band works as a hurdle to slow down your eating...... following the rules 'should' help you feel full because the food bouncing up and down stimulates the vagus nerve (which tells the brain your full) Its not (as some believe) having a smaller tummy = eat less (unfortunately) LOL

ANyway i digress..... over 2 years banded, NO fills (as yet) just following the rules has gotten me to where i am today..... at my heaviest 23.2 stone..... total lost 11 1/2 stone (including pre op) This last year has been a huge learning curve, as the honeymoon period has worn off and MY commitment has waned, i have seen a rise in my weight BUT no amounts of fills will help that because, as always we turn to the naughty stuff :( BUT i know i always have my back up there should i need it..... there is no way i would be here today without it...... MY commitment to MY band is what has worked for me..... my commitment to eating right and moving more, which is, as always the only way to lose weight..... our bands are just a helping hand in fighting our daily battles..... do i regret anything NOT a chance......

I'm sorry to hear the band has not been as effective to you guys as you may have hoped..... am pretty sure all of us put all our last hopes into this band is an answer to the years of battling, but as many of us also know, its not the cure, in face none of the surgeries are unfortunately........

Back to basics girls, follow the rules.......... if you feel you may be over restricted, go back to your team...... you shouldn't feel unable to eat normal foods.....

I wish everyone well on their journeys, what works for one won't work for another..... :) we all have our own unique paths to follow eh xxxxx

PS this is our little secret...... after a good few months on sabbatical from the wl thing .... i weighed Tuesday morning (on return from a weekend away) eeekkkk more gains LOL anyway head back in right place and commitment back -4 this morning shhhhhsss don't tell...... full report at the end of my 30 day challenge..... ;)

Have a great day all x x x

Personally I appreciate a post like this, I will tell you why. At the start of my wks journey I thought I wanted a band, I even booked in for a band, I then read and read some more..posts very much like this..and it made me realise the band was not the tool for me. I cancelled the band and waited another year or so and read some more. From that I decided on a sleeve..again positive and negative stories about the sleeve.
I've had my sleeve and it's been amazing for me. My issue is binge eating..not grazing but major binge eating. I can't do that with my sleeve hence amazing success.
Had I have had a band I think I could have done some damage still trying to ram the food in..knowing that my stomach was in there somewhere! So I am grateful for advice like this.
We all make choices for different reasons, there are great band success stories on here..look at daisy for example! It's all about knowing which took is best for your obesity causation..
Anyone feeling disheartened please don't be, work your band and do as you have been told.
I think obesity is more a head issue than a stomach issue hence so many people pile it back in several years out..you need to change your mindset, that's the best weight loss advice going.

The band...love it or hate, successful v's waste of time, you are always going to get pro's v's cons but I feel there are some important points to remember.

The band is a tool not a solution that is there to assist you but the will power is still in your hands.
The surgery is on your stomach not your mind so head hunger/hunger battles will still be in your control.
The band involves will power & commitment & is not a easy quick fix.
Any reputable provider should explain this when considering a band as yes the failure rate is higher than other weight loss procedures.

Personally the band has worked for me & 12 months on I've lost 5st 1lb & am almost at target but it has involved will power & life long changes in my eating habits.
I see it that I have learnt to eat again in the correct way & my relationship with food is now a healthy one.
The reason I feel it's worked for me is that my issue wasn't so much eating the wrong foods but more the quantity of food I was eating.
I now eat when I am hungry not bored or emotional, I stop eating before I get full rather than when I'm fit to burst but ultimately I make the healthy choices to eat as no band is going to stop you reaching for the crisps chocolate sweets etc.

Good luck all with your weight loss journey which ever route you take but make sure it's the right one for you.

I'm a new Bander of only 7 weeks post op .. So I'm a newby in the terms of this ..
I sailed through the operation and the healing process , no problems what so ever so far .. My weight loss is every week , this week I've lost another 4lb , I had my first band fill last week ..
I also hang around on the Facebook Banders page and even though I've not been on there long I can see already where the failures come from .. The following have been some of the questions asked or statements said .
' I'm 2 weeks post op , can I melt down chocolate now ? '
' Did you know if you drink water with a meal you can eat so much more ? '
' Am I allowed to eat spaghetti carbonara and add more cheese ? '
' Still eating 4 slices of toast and jam , thought the band stopped this ? '
' fresh cream cake for breakfast , yum ! '

So many , to many to even remember .. . This is a massive band failure .. They may be taking the pee , but I don't think so . Have they not been schooled in how to work with the band or do they actually think it's going to physically stop them from eating junk and over eating ?
Yes I know there are medical failures , and that's so sad for the person and can't be helped ..
Emotionally it's a still a hard day for me most days when all I want is to grab that junk food and have a romantic embrace with it , but I choose not to . I choose to work with the band and not treat it like a magic wand .. I know it's not going to stop me putting food in my mouth , I have to stop that ..
But it helps me focus on my food , helps me choose what's good for me , helps me eat protein first and finally helps me feel full for longer when I eat the right stuff ..
I don't think the band would work for an emotional eater in the long run as chocolate and sweet stuff is usually the first thing we would grab and then it's so easy to consume small amounts that are so high in fats and sugars ..
I'm a grazer and this , at this time is working perfectly for me ..

It's like a broken leg . If you don't get supplied with a crutch , you will walk with a limp all your life and have problems . But use a crutch properly as advised you'll soon be running ..
Just my take on it :)
Mindy
Xxx

I feel for you Elsa. I also had my band in 2012. I also feel if I had known a bit better I would have added to the 5k paid to have a sleeve instead. I have lost 4 stone in the 4 years. I can't eat out most times coz the food just gets stuck and I have to throw up. This is uncomfortable for me as only 2 people in my life know that I have a band. Every time I've gone on long flights I've had to have restriction reduced. A year ago I was unable to swallow anything including saliva for 12 hrs as the band was too tight and I was overseas. I just want my portion size reduced and still not worry about band tightness. I've been fortunate that hubby is very supportive. I'm going to have a sleeve in 2 weeks. Thanks for sharing as I thought I was the only one with such problems

We all have to remember the band is a tool to work with. All I can say is that I am a bander who lost over 11 stones in weight in Les than a year. Went a little too low, and am now maintaining succussfully at 10 1/2 stones less ... Five years later. Give us all the same start, and there will be different results. That's life.

I like to think I'm a seasoned bander I have been banded almost 3 years now. In those 3 years I've had two babies and still managed to lose 4 stone. I'm just starting again after the birth of my youngest.
Whilst I find your post refreshingly honest and s bit of a cry for help I have to question your providers lack of responsibility. It is clear from your pat no one ever explained to you how the band works and the struggles you would face. These are struggles I still face on a daily basis and I've come to realise I turn to food because of negative emotion but in the long run that food doesn't make me happy. Losing the weight and seeing myself in the way I want to see myself makes me happy.
New banders and old banders alike I wouldn't take this post with upset or offence. Everyones experiences are different. Unfortunately some people's experiences are negative and I guess that's something we have to acknowledge whether we want to or not!
Be happy and be focused and true. We will all make it. X x

Putting my two 'penneth in on this subject.

I had my band in situ for almost seven years. I lost weight quickly and steadily to achieve my goal by sticking (mostly) to the band 'rules', the restriction really helped too though.

Anyway, roll on about five years and I start to develop health problems (not band related BUT not easy to resolve with the band in situ). I eventually had my band removed after being unfilled for a year and managed to maintain my weight as well.

Because I need more surgery and I have now started to put weight back on I'm getting a sleeve in just over three weeks. To be honest its just another kink in the road on the journey back to being a healthy me but do I regret getting the band? HELL NO! it works if you work.

No one can predict what will happen in the future but what happens today and what you chose to eat, is in your hands. Spose what I'm trying to say is, don't be put off from making the right choice for you and work with which ever option you chose xx

Two years ago, I so wanted the Band...never even considered opting for a Bypass (for me at the time, it felt too drastic).
After 15 minutes talking to the consultant, over what I eat....he bluntly said he refused to put me forwards for the Band! I was gutted (burst into tears)
He said my only option was the Bypass.
I asked why this was my only option (between Bypass & Band)
He said :

My BIG binges on, chocoate, cake, biscuits & high sugar confectionary stuff would'nt work with the Band.....people who eat high sugar stuff (before band) tend lose a lot less weight with the Band, And have more problems.

So, it was the type of food that I binged on, that was the problem. If I'd been binge eating on savory stuff...he would have considered the band maybe.

Plus...in his opinion at the time...I was too obese for the Band. I was 22 st at the time. But, I do think it was more to do with the types of food that I binged on, on why he turned me down.
At the time I wasn't happy, but ...now I understand he's reasons.

I think everyone is different ....unfotunatly/fortunately, there will be success/failure with every op. We just have to follow the rules to the best of our ability.

@Elsa , so sorry you feel that way about the band. I hope you find your solution to a healthier new you. Best wishes :rainbow:

Toni x

I wish my mum was on here...

...she was one of the first in England to get a band on the NHS - like nearly 20 years ago!!!!

She lost over half her body weight from 22st, and was doing fab. Although I have to say, for me growing up with a banded for a mum gave me really good insight into the do's and don'ts.

Anyway, then she moved a long way away and couldn't get filled. After some bereavements and family problems she put on around 8 st. She's got a sweet tooth, so although she still couldn't eat bread etc she would binge on chocolate and ice cream...

She's managed to start seeing prof. Ammori and get some fills again. 8 st down, she's looking fab again! She has an old style band so it's difficult for filling but she's doing so well

So now I've had the band. Considered the sleeve, but knowing that my binges are bread, pizza etc I decided on the band. Being cheaper and reversible my mum and husband felt more comfortable with me getting the band, and me too, but also I feel like the band is like a sister to me-I know it so well Well at least I think I do!

I'm less than a week post op but I'm feeling positive. I know the band won't do this for me, but I'm hoping it will help me, and tbh I'm so scared of being sick or the band slipping that I really doubt I'm going to be pushing my luck with it too much-I hope.

We hear so often that wls is not the easy way out, we have to work hard with whatever wls we have chosen, and my mum would say the exact same.

Just thought I'd add that experience to this, it's not often you hear of a bander having had it for so long and not had to have another op for one reason or another ☺️

Back