• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Asking my GP today? Is this OK to say to him?

swangirl89

Hi guys,

I am visiting my GP today to ask if I can be referred for Gastric Bypass surgery. I live in Swansea, which has be named the WORST postcode in the UK for funding for weight loss surgery. In 2006/2007 there were 130 requests for funding all of which satisfied the NICE guidelines and NONE were approved. Despite this I am going to try, this really is the last straw for me.

My Background

I'm 19, 20 tomorrow. I live in Swansea and have a place to start a Law degree in Swansea Uni in Sept and if I stay this weight I can't see myself being able to go. I'm 5 ft 4 and weigh just over 23stone putting my BMI at 55.2!

I'm gonna explain to the GP what I've done before. In the past I've tried Xenical, Reductil, WW, Slimming World, Lighter Life, Cambridge Diet, Slimfast, Herbalife, Atkins, Zotrim herbal tablet, seen the hospital dietician 4 times, personal training, gym membership. I lost an average of 3stone on each of those but just put it straight back on.

I NEVER feel full!

I have health problems but they aren't the "allowed" comorbidities.
I have
  • breathing problems
  • sleeping problems
  • joint pains
  • depression
  • loss of menstraul cycle
  • I get alot of cysts from excessive sweating
  • PCOS

I don't smoke and I don't drink alcohol at all.

Is there anything else that you think convinced you GP when you asked? I've read the sticky on the subject but I'm just wondering if anyone has anything to add?

Blimey - it looks like you have everything covered. Try not to be put off by the non-approval of funding of other applications, their details may be very different to your's. Have you had a sleep apnoea test?

Have you tried calling your PCT? I called mine and asked for info on the criteria re: WLS funding.

:cross:Wishing you lots of luck today. I hope your GP is as well informed and supportive as mine was, I am sure that makes a difference.

Lxxx

Hi Swan girl and welcome.

Your list is very good. You've obviously done your homework. The only other thing I would tell GP is that you meet the NICE guidelines which is surgery for anyone with a BMI over 40 without co-morbidities. With your BMI they shouldnt refuse you.

Best of luck and as lizziegirl said, try not to worry about the other cases that were not approved. Their circumstances will be different to yours.

Also doesn't NICE say that with a BMI of over 50 surgery should be a first line option? Might be worth throwing that in.

Good luck!

Shel

Don't no if this will help but i could'nt help my self any way but when i was in i cried so much it was silly but it might have help for her to see how much this ment to me Hope you get what you want:)

all i can say is good luck. (and happy birthday for tomorrow)
I am 32 almost33 and have been overweight for a long time and have treid all teh diets you have listed I just wish I woudl have done something in my early 20's rather than waited this long.
good luck
xx

I can completely sympathise with how you are feeling right now!

I am 21 and at University, and I feel my weight is severely holding me back. I went to see my Doctor last week to see if they would be supportive of me being put foreword for WLS. I was worried, and nervous and I had had these awful butterflies in my stomach all day! I was initially going for a check-up for my Xenical (Weight Loss Tablets) as I still hadn't lost weight with them and I have been on them for 3 months now.

My advice would be to go prepared. Read what you can, take notes; and if possible take them and a copy of your PCT criteria for the WLS. My Doctor was surprised at first, but then when I showed her what I knew about the surgery (and how I knew about the risks involved) she visibly relaxed and said that she thought it was a good idea and worth a try. She even had to look at my copy of the criteria as she couldn't find hers at that time!

Although she didn't ask for it, I did also write down all the different criteria for Calderdale (my PCT) and next to it how I fit that criterion or exceeded it.

I think I prepared a little too much to be honest with you. But it got me where I wanted to be! She was all too happy to send off the application and I go back in a month (for another check up for Xenical) if I haven't heared anything.

I am not getting my hopes up too high just yet, but I am anxious to get the results from my PCT regarding my funding!

Good luck, and let us know how you get on!!!

Pandora - I am in Calderdale too, Just wondered if you heard anything yet? I am back to docs on friday but only cos he had to find out what to do as he wasn't aware of the process to follow, but he was very supportive after looking at my medical history.... good luck! let me know when you hear anything! x

In short: No.

I haven't heard anything, but I realise it has only been 3 weeks since I saw the Doctor. She did tell me that our PCT (it could be different for others) meet once a month to decide on all the 'elective surgery' applications; because of this it could be between 4 and 6 weeks until I had my answer, but to go back to her if I hadn't had anything through after that.

I think I was really lucky with the Doctor I went to see, as she had already done one referal before me which was sucessful. But I searched this site over and over and I haven't found anyone who has had or is waiting to have WLS in Calderdale! So I am not too sure how 'mean' they are with their funding! Although I do fall into their criteria (which is asking for significantly more than NICE) I am still doubtful as to whether I will get the funding or not.

Keep in touch and let me know how your application is going, and eventually (hopefully) the surgery!

Back