• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Light headed & shortness of breath?

cathykats

Hey, I'm feeling light headed & a little shortness of breath today :( is this normal?
I'm 5 days post op Gastric Sleeve! other than the above I feel fine and have lost 5kg since surgey :) x

Hi Cathy

It's perfectly normal if you've been a bit active. Just be careful. You might look fine in the outside with little scars but you've just had major surgery and your insides need time to heal. Don't get carried away lol :)

Happy healing xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Hi Cathy

It's perfectly normal if you've been a bit active. Just be careful. You might look fine in the outside with little scars but you've just had major surgery and your insides need time to heal. Don't get carried away lol :)

Happy healing xx
Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery
Thanks Greyputy I was abit worried there lol .
I very tired today think I'll go to sleep soon :) x

I find I can only do a small thing each day, combination of surgery and lack of food I think. If the shortness of breath gets worse or your temperature goes up, get in touch with your team. It wont take long to become very ill if anything is wrong. xx

Hi Cathy, I hope you are getting plenty of rest and feeling better as each day goes along. Take care. Cheers Cost x

How are you?

To be honest cost I'm feeling quite sick today but mentally I feel great I've lost 5kg in 7days.
I've also got a cold :( and feel very tired.

How are you feeling? loooking forward to surgery? x

It might be worth you talking to Alice the nurse to see if she can advise anything. Good that you are mentally feeling great - think of all those things you are going to be able to do. Great weight lost - 5kg fantastic. Can you make up a soup with fresh vegetable to get the nutrional value. I guess you will feel tired as it normally takes 2 weeks to get over the anaesthetic let along that it is a major op even though it was through keyhole surgery.

I am a little bit concerned as I have been asked to take Blood Pressure Tablets to bring down my BP and hopefully improve my potassium levels. The hospital called today and my op may been cancelled if my BP does not come down a bit and my potassium go up. So I am currently playing it by ear. I am following all their directions so if it is meant to be then it will happen. I hope it does as I will have been doing their pre-op diet they sorted for my for 12 weeks by then.

Look after yourself.
Cheers Cost xxx

I hope your BP comes down and your potassium level come up in time for your surgery.
fingers crossed for you :) I'm sure you'll be fine.

Thank you for your nice message cost hope to hear from you soon xx

hi cathy, I hope you are improving day by day, sometimes it is difficult to rest as much as we should but it will be worth. It must be difficult as you are a Mum and little ones do not realise why you are tired. Plus there is Christmas coming too so lots more to do. I hope you have time to put your feet up tonight.

I saw a post that had your surname on it - do you have an Irish background at all? My parents were both from Ireland.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Cheers, Cost x

Yes Cost my grandfather on my mothers side was Irish form county mayo and both my grandparents on my fathers side we're Irish but I'm not sure where in Ireland they came from.

I still feel the same but I'm managing homemade soup , water & nas juice.
I've done a lot of Christmas shopping online this year that has really helped me and I'm sure I'll be able to wrap them before Christmas :) x

Hope you are feeling better today, Cathy. :) Lynne08 was having the same problems & it does seem to be quite a common post surgery thing. If you are still having the breathlessness, it would not hurt to check with your team. Lynne had quite low blood pressure ... could you have? :wave_cry: xxx

Cost, don't worry about the BP tablets. lots of us have had to take them pre op, but they are very effective & should do the trick for you. If your potassium does not come up enough with them, you can have an infusion which will do the trick. Try some potassium rich foods too, like bananas, strawberries, raisins ... can't hurt to give it a helping hand. Good luck :) xxx

Last edited:
Hi Cathy,

My dad and his family were from Tourmakeady, Mayo. My Mum and her family are from the Midlands, Ireland.

I hope you start feeling better soon - it is good that you are taking in soup, water & juice as you need to make sure you are hydrated.

Shopping online is great isn't it. Wrapping in loose tissue paper is quite quick something I've started to do.

I spoke to the hospital today and have arrange to have a blood test/blood pressure measurement taken there rather than locally. I think it is important to go to UCL as if I have my blood test done locally it takes 5 days for the results to come through. At least this way I hope to find out whether they plan to go ahead more quickly hopefully.

Take care. Cheers

Hi Twinkletwinkle,

Thanks for your positive post. I am currently on the 4xww soup, 4x mullerlite yoghurt and 1 pint milk so I am not able to take any other food. The BP tablets I am on also raise potassium levels so hopefully that will do the trick.

Cheers

Back