• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Liquid diet after op how long did you do yours?

clairabelle83

I had my band fitted on Wednesday 22nd May, had a rough few days where i really didn't drink very much. Really starting to feel hungry now, i had my op at Walsall Manor hospital where they recommend doing the liquid diet for 4weeks and then starting on smooth food. Have been reading a lot where people have started eating much earlier, just wondering what everyone here has done? Think it's going to be hell to go another 3weeks 2 days without eating!
I had 2 shakes, 2 cups of soup & a pot of jelly yesterday. What kind of thing did everyone else do?
Also mega happy as i've lost 2 stone today :) xx

Hi Claire,

My post op advice says liquid days 1-3, thicker liquids (yoghurt, milk drinks) 3-5, puree 5-7 days then tiny portions of normal texture from then on.

I know each provider says different, so we shall see what everyone comes up with!

Leila x

my advice was same as leilabells i was on solids by end of second week i was banded 4 yrs ago so advice may have changed since then

im having the sleeve done and mines 3 weeks fluids, 3 weeks on baby type food then 3 weeks on soft foods

I had a bypass, and it was a grand total of 16 hours! We were on purée from the lunchtime after our ops. 4 weeks puree. 4 weeks soft/crispy. Then on to normal.

THG advise 2 weeks liquid and then 2 weeks mushy food.

I find it very frustrating that the bariatric profession can't decide. 4 weeks liquid is so hugely different from 1-3.

I'd love to know their justifications for these differences. Part of me worries that it because no one has actually done any research on best methods of dietary recovery from the band.
I know the theory is that if we eat too soon we can cause the band to slip. But is this information just assumed to be the case or is there any scientific reasoning.

You can probably tell From my rant that I am still on the liquid stage and NOT happy!!!!

THG advise 2 weeks liquid and then 2 weeks mushy food.

I find it very frustrating that the bariatric profession can't decide. 4 weeks liquid is so hugely different from 1-3.

I'd love to know their justifications for these differences. Part of me worries that it because no one has actually done any research on best methods of dietary recovery from the band.
I know the theory is that if we eat too soon we can cause the band to slip. But is this information just assumed to be the case or is there any scientific reasoning.

You can probably tell From my rant that I am still on the liquid stage and NOT happy!!!!

How long have you been on liquid for? You've made me think whether Bristol are too quick to move away from liquid...but as you say there may have been no clear research?

There is a lot of research, and often the teams have conducted their own. They differ simply because different surgeons, have different opinions based on that research. I suspect that there is no "1 best way", the wls community is proof of that. In my experience, providers allow a certain flexibility as long as you consult them first. The dietician and nurse at St Richards told me that the stages they suggest are guidelines, and they are governed largely by the patients own tolerances and common sense!

Leilba

I've been on the liquid diet for 10 days now, only 4 more days.
To be honest I have been miserable as hell! I've been so hungry. I can drink normally and so am really finding it hard to except I have to wait to put in mushy food. I am so bored with soup, hate smoothies and bovril type drinks. I loved water pre op now can't stand that either.

Sorry, I will stop moping now. I've done this to myself and I am sure I will get more positive.

Leilba

I've been on the liquid diet for 10 days now, only 4 more days.
To be honest I have been miserable as hell! I've been so hungry. I can drink normally and so am really finding it hard to except I have to wait to put in mushy food. I am so bored with soup, hate smoothies and bovril type drinks. I loved water pre op now can't stand that either.

Sorry, I will stop moping now. I've done this to myself and I am sure I will get more positive.

Hello :)

With only 4 days to go, I fear it is grin and bear it, and wait out more solid food.

It will be here before you know it, and see how much willpower you have shown so gar? Looks really good for the willpower you will need moving forward.

Leila x

I was meant to do two weeks liquid, two weeks smooth texture, two weeks lumpy then on to normal texture. I did one, one, one in order not to kill myself and was fine. Xx

tubbytutor i completely agree there are such vast differences with different hospitals. At Walsall Manor i had to do my pre op diet for 4 weeks, yet on researching on here i found lots of people that had a much higher bmi than mine only doing it for 2 weeks!
I know it will all be worth it in the end, just really hard when i'm so hungry now & especially as i have 2 young children i'm preparing lots of food that i would love to eat! I still have 3 weeks and 1 day until i am supposed to go onto puree but to be honest i think i will be starting little bits a bit earlier x

The bariatric profession can't decide because they each have different experiences. They change their guidelines based on how their current ones work out. As new research emerges. We may not like to think of it this way but no two bypasses in particular are alike. Sleeves and bands do tend to be more alike but each surgeon will have been trained differently. So it makes sense to follow our providers guidelines as it gives us the best success with the op they gave us.

I am with THG too and I have been told 2 weeks liquid then 2 weeks mushy before introducing more crunchy foods. I would stick to the guidelines from your provider but if you are struggling call them and discuss it with them

There has been some really good points raised here. Different regions follow different rules. But I would be inclined to, A, listen to your dietician and B, listen to your body. The reason why I say this is when you start as I'm sure everyone is aware, if you've had the bypass or sleeve. You are starting with a new stomach and it's healing, the less pressure you can put on it the better. When I had the sleeve it was recommended that I only stay on liquids for 1-2 days then start on purée food from day 2 to week 4, then weeks 4-6 is soft food and 6+ is normal food. During the purée diet phase as your body heals more food amounts can be introduced ie quantity of food. Your body will tell you if you are ready increase the intake or not, by the easiness you can swallow your food and the time it takes before you feel full. I have tried things like cream crackers with my purée phase but chewed them till they are the consistency of the purée food. And I am pleased to say that I have had no problems but everyone is different. I hope this helps

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

I am with surgicare and my pre op diet is for 10days but I started slowly on Thursday and have lost a staggering 9lbs. I am having my surgery done on the 10th of June at Dolan park. Is the any one out there on this same date?..

I had my band fitted on Wednesday 22nd May, had a rough few days where i really didn't drink very much. Really starting to feel hungry now, i had my op at Walsall Manor hospital where they recommend doing the liquid diet for 4weeks and then starting on smooth food. Have been reading a lot where people have started eating much earlier, just wondering what everyone here has done? Think it's going to be hell to go another 3weeks 2 days without eating!
I had 2 shakes, 2 cups of soup & a pot of jelly yesterday. What kind of thing did everyone else do?
Also mega happy as i've lost 2 stone today :) xx

Aw hon huge congrats on your op and weight loss. Hang on in there and try and keep to your diet given by your provider. Maybe try sipping water when you feel really hungry. Please don't break your providers diet. Set your day so you know what time you are drinking your soup or shakes. Keep your fluids up. It also helps stop the hunger feeling. We were told it takes a while for our brains to catch up that we are not hungry!

I have been posting my diet but I am a bypass patient. I should of made that clear when I posted my daily food. I am on puree but I would do as your provider has told you and stick with the liquids. Refer daily back to the booklet they should of given you while you plan your meals and snacks even though in drink form. We have a huge chart on the fridge tracking hubby and mine weight loss. I also cross off days to holiday. I write down my plan before I have my breakfast for the day! I adjust the times to actual as the day goes on. I have found that help with puree. It might help with liquids. Just a thought. I would not rush the first stage. Our dietician made it clear that they set the times for each stage for a reason. If in doubt give your provider a quick call.
Three weeks seems ages but it will fly if you focus on ticking off the days and get into a routine.

I hope, lol that is what I am trying to do. Getting into routine and just crossing off the days. When I feel low I think of how good it will be to be able to swim without worrying about other people looking at me like as I am a beach ball in a swim suit.

Good luck hon and stay strong.
x

I am with surgicare and my pre op diet is for 10days but I started slowly on Thursday and have lost a staggering 9lbs. I am having my surgery done on the 10th of June at Dolan park. Is the any one out there on this same date?..

Good luck for the 10th Paula x

Good luck for your surgery Paula

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

Which soup's are most people having,cup o soup,tinned weightwatchers,if I understand correctly it has to be liquid only & broths,how much soup do you have at a time?

Back