• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

my liver worries

lyndajoan

hi i have just been reading some threads about liver shrinking diets, i know when its time i will be put on it, i know drinking warter is good for your liver, sorry if i seem a bit dim what does the diet entail, and i have been told by my doctor i have a fatty liver, will this hamper my surgery? oh no another thing to worry about and no ciggys to help. still really tearfull:cry:

The fatty liver will shrink ,everyone has fat in their liver its just us over eaters that end up with a serious amount of the wrong stuff in our livers.When you go on low fat/carb diets the fat in the liver and other toxins are released and leave your liver soft and floppy so the surgeon can easily move it out of the way to do wls.That is why its important to stick to whichever preop diet you are given.Many have got to theatre and refused surgery for having an enlarged liver.You will either be given a low carb diet or the milk diet,ie just milk and yoghurt for two weeks!

Don't panic, Lynda ... :) The majority of us have fatty livers & the diet is just precautionary to shrink it to make surgery easier as it is done laparoscopicaly. The smaller the liver the more room for the surgeon to see what he is doing. The pre op diet takes care of this mostly. Sooo no worries, we are all mostly in the same boat & get each other through any troubling times. xx :):)

Hi Lynda dont worry about the liver, we all have , the next worry will be has it shrunk enought, but you will be ok. We all go through but its worth it xx

Back