• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Long term bander question

flutterby1966

It's now a year since I had my last fill. I am/was at 10.5mils in a 14mil band.

Just interested to know from long term banders, do you have a regular/yearly checkup just to check how much fluid is still in you band, and have a top up if some has disappeared?

Thanks Michelle

Band

Hi Michelle

I went recently for a check up as it was three years since my last check up!
I went for a tweak as I was able to eat a bit more!

I think it's up to the bandster when you go if you need to, as the saying goes "if it ain't broke don't mend it" also at £105 a shot it's a tad expensive for just a chat!

I hadn't lost any fluid in that time.

When did you have your band fitted bluedawny? Are you in maintenance now? And if so, how have you found it? My weight does fluctuate by c 4 lbs in the month and so does the tightness of my band. I have one 'restricted' week a month when the weight literally drops off and then the remainder of the time I have to count/track what I eat otherwise I think I would get into bad habits. Don't get me wrong I love my band and I eat far less than I used to do, but I could envisage bad habits taking over if I wasn't mindful all the time. Sometimes I wonder if an additional 1/4 mil may just help me not have to track so often. Not that I want to rush into topping up as I don't want to lose anymore weight either. In a bit of a dilema :confused: hence me appreciating your reply :)

Michelle, you know how long I had my band :sigh: but over it's short life I had 9.5mls put in and was at perfect sweet spot (yay), but when the fluid was taken out 3 weeks prior to bypass he only got 8.5mls out if it. My fills were only ever top-ups, thankfully as taking everything out was more 'sore'.

Who knows where the 1ml went :innocent0002:

I know its said that some fluid disappears over time :confused: I think I will wait till after Christmas and see how things go.

you can always have a small tweek fill if you feel its needed iv had my band 4 yrs and had fills most of that time but as it had slipped a lot of it was trying to get restriction back after a defill in pregnancy . trust your instincts if you think there is any chance of bad habbits sliping back then deal with it because its a very slippery slope I personally slipped a little and went wosh full tilt back to fatdom

Really interesting...I am gaining so much knowledge from reading and listening to you seasoned banders
Thank you so much xxxx

Hi Michelle
I have sort of the opposite problem.
Some background: I was banded nearly 2 years ago so I count myself as a seasoned bander.
I was at 20 stone, after losing 6½ stone during a 2 year 'pre-op' with ww.

I am now under 10 stone, with a BMI in the low 20's and frankly getting bony in parts. Once all my loose skin ops are done I'm worried I'm going to look like Victoria Beckham.

My 3rd and last fill was in Dec 2012 - I am now at 7½ml in a 10 ml band. I remember asking then am I still OK for more fills and they said that I may well find I was at the perfect restriction to get to goal and stay there. Well they were right, but occasionally it gets so tight I can't get food to stay down, and liquids come back up too. In the past this has resolved itself within a couple of days, so I've just viewed it as 'one of those things' and made the most of it whilst it happens! Under 'normal' restriction I could eat loads (esp of the 'wrong' foods) unless I control myself.

Unfortunately this latest bout has lasted over 6 days, and I've lost 10lbs during that time, some of which I don't want to lose.
It could right itself tomorrow, or could go on for days yet.

So - my dilemma - do I make an appointment for a microscopic defill and hope that doesn't put the kibosh on my 'usual' restriction, or do I hope that this normal level comes back on its own?

I've done a food and emotions log to see if anything triggers it and can't find anything untoward. I no longer have periods, although I have no menopausal symptoms so I don't have any hormonal fluctuations.

Anyone else had this happen and can offer advice? Sorry for hijacking Michelle.

Not hijacking its interesting ....

I too am boney, under ten stones and low 20s BMI and I definitely don't want to lose anymore. But it would be nice SOMETIMES just not to have to think about tracking and just let the band do the work like it does for some others. Maybe the "sweet spot" is fickle for lots of banders :confused: I am happy overall though :)

It would be really good to read what guidance long termers can give you too? X

Hi Michelle
I have sort of the opposite problem.
Some background: I was banded nearly 2 years ago so I count myself as a seasoned bander.
I was at 20 stone, after losing 6½ stone during a 2 year 'pre-op' with ww.

I am now under 10 stone, with a BMI in the low 20's and frankly getting bony in parts. Once all my loose skin ops are done I'm worried I'm going to look like Victoria Beckham.

My 3rd and last fill was in Dec 2012 - I am now at 7½ml in a 10 ml band. I remember asking then am I still OK for more fills and they said that I may well find I was at the perfect restriction to get to goal and stay there. Well they were right, but occasionally it gets so tight I can't get food to stay down, and liquids come back up too. In the past this has resolved itself within a couple of days, so I've just viewed it as 'one of those things' and made the most of it whilst it happens! Under 'normal' restriction I could eat loads (esp of the 'wrong' foods) unless I control myself.

Unfortunately this latest bout has lasted over 6 days, and I've lost 10lbs during that time, some of which I don't want to lose.
It could right itself tomorrow, or could go on for days yet.

So - my dilemma - do I make an appointment for a microscopic defill and hope that doesn't put the kibosh on my 'usual' restriction, or do I hope that this normal level comes back on its own?

I've done a food and emotions log to see if anything triggers it and can't find anything untoward. I no longer have periods, although I have no menopausal symptoms so I don't have any hormonal fluctuations.

Anyone else had this happen and can offer advice? Sorry for hijacking Michelle.

personally id say a small defill is needed as being to tight can cause you damage and lead to reflux night coughs and alsorts of not so wonderfull things , the band does tighten by itself at times it can be so many variables that make it happen but when it does your liquids are coming back up too and that's just plain not healthy speak to your provider

An update (as also posted on Mandie's 'Pouch' thread...

OK. Had a barium swallow under X-ray today, and they took 1ml out of my band leaving me with 6½mls. The relief was instantaneous.
There is no 'pouch' or any other distortion - just restricted space down my oesophagus within the confines of the band.
I asked the consultant if it was a common problem and if they had a reason for it, so far down the line after a fill.
Apparently it (an unexplained increased restriction) is a medical mystery that usually rights itself within a couple of days, but which needs to be addressed if it goes on longer than 2-3 days because of the risk of dehydration.

One theory is that I ate something rough or particularly spicy that wasn't chewed quite well enough that then 'scraped' the lining of my oesophagus, irritating it causing inflammation. This causes the tissues to swell thus restricting the access downwards. The band itself doesn't change of course.

Because I am at the end of my weight loss journey, and now just maintaining, he thinks I may not need any further tweaks once the inflammation settles down, but I can go back to them (thank you NHS!) if I feel I do.

So at last I can swallow drinks without them coming back up, and I can progress back to solids over the next couple of days.

Sorry for the delay... I found finding my sweet spot a bit like searching for the holy grail not sure if it exists! I was very tight (and probably done damage) I kept losing weight and got told by people you have lost too much and looked ill - so had 0.5 ml out and put on weight (which I hated) so had the 0.5 put back in and ensured each day at work would have 2 bowls of the soup and knew I had my calories - then if I pb'd in the evening didn't feel so bad! I know this is wrong!!!!! I was so tight I had the cough and acid reflux - I stayed away from forums as I knew I was abusing my band - but as my cough has taken over my life I went for an unfill and have come back to forums to face reality!!! I would stay where you are with your restriction as too tight means trouble in the long run!!! I'm also very anaemic and my vitamin D is in my boots - I'm a naughty banster but have learnt the hard way!!! I have been so tight unable to swallow my own saliva :( in the last few weeks even though I'm tight I'm able to eat loads so think that I have a slip! I went to see my surgeon and after telling me off :cry: I have decided to go for a revision to RNY - I wished I followed the rules as my band has been a true friend to me but I abused that friendship!!

Thanks bluedawny, that's why I won rush anything as I definitely don't want to be too tight ... I like my life as it is. For example I am on loose time at the moment, yesterday although I totted everything up at the end of the day, I just let the band do its work while I had a day out with a friend and I consumed c 1600 calories, 84g protein and was full for 4-5 hours at a time.

B - yogurt and specialk
L - chicken wrap, coleslaw, 4 chips :rolleyes:
D - spaghetti bolognese
S - hot chocolate, latte, mocha drink - to up the protein

I do think you are right, lots of banders / dieters stick their heads in the sand if things aren't going right, that's why I stay on the forum and use Mfp at least 50% of the time! to keep focus without being ruled by it. It's going to be a lifetime challenge I am sure ... I know my weaknesses :sigh:

Back