• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

long term gastric bypass - 3yrs + ?

hi, looking into this surgery but husband has severe reservations, so am researching thoroughly, and one thing that strikes me is that theres tons of posts about people within the first year, and how great it is etc, but the longer the time since the op, the less there seems about it from people

have people suffered complications? once you have got past 4 or 5 yrs, does your stomach stretch back to the point of being able to put weight on again? whats the real stats for death rates ? anyone here really long term?

seems a bit odd how theres so little about it long term, when the op is said to be years old? or maybe im not looking in the right places?

thank you :D

after the 1st year people go off and do other things as there lives have changed alot and usually dont need the support any longer on the forum.

Hi I am also looking for some info from anyone who had a bypass for more than a year or two please - I am still trying to decide if I am going ahead - can anyone say anything about losing the weight but ending up ill from lack of nutrition or vitamis or something - thanks everyone

i discovered the other day that one of the girls at the office had a bypass 5 years ago. She is a picture of health you wouldnt know she ever had a weight problem she lost 12 stone and is a petite size 10 only 5 ft tall. she had tummy tuck, arm lift and boob lift 3 years ago.
she always brings her lunch into work and it is usaually salad etc.
talking to her the other day she said that she has always stuck to the carbs once a day rule that she usually has at breakfast.
Her bloods are done every 12 months as they have always been fine, she has only required B12 injections twice and that was within the first year.
Hth
carole

hiya thanks for the replies, ive read a few say its because the op is so good that they go off and do other things, but it i have to say, always by people who have had the op already on forums such as this, so, in terms of how many must have it globally, they cant all not want to talk about it anymore lol, surely after 5yrs + it would still be rather a big impact on your life

also the b12 injections, are they not compulsory then, just if needed as and when?

i was told if i start to feel excessivly tired to get my blood checked as i may need a B12 injection. Had a routien tesy at 6 months and everything was fine.
The girl i mentioned has worked there for 6 months but i have never met her before. It was only because we had a multi dis team day the other day that i met her and it was over dinner that one of the other girls asked what i could eat now that we got talking about it. When she said that she was 5 years post op i get vert excited and hope i look as good as her 5 yrs post op

hiya thanks for the replies, ive read a few say its because the op is so good that they go off and do other things, but it i have to say, always by people who have had the op already on forums such as this, so, in terms of how many must have it globally, they cant all not want to talk about it anymore lol, surely after 5yrs + it would still be rather a big impact on your life

im a bander and im just over 4 years post op, but i want to come and help people that will walk the path ive previosly walked and still walking on after my re banding, i also recieve excellent support here from other mini's members if i have a question.
i even though im 4 years out have learned alot from the experienced bypassers about nutrition that i can use as part of my band journey and its helped alot to keep me on track.
mini's is a great place to be and very supportive to all, so thanks to all the mini's for all your support since i joined this great forum x

liz x

thanks again, for the girl who was 5 yrs out, was she eating normally for a regular person now after that time, or was it normally for a bypasser, if that makes sense?

4yrs post band, sounds cool, have you found that less intrusive than a bypass? but as effective ?

the difference with the weight loss is initially the weight is lost alot quicker in the early stages with a bypass compared to a band, the will power is much harder to apply as the band can be cheated if the patient wants to depending on there mood. long term if a bander works hard and maintains there weight loss then the results are very similar in the long term it just takes us banders longer to reach the desired target weight.

thanks again, for the girl who was 5 yrs out, was she eating normally for a regular person now after that time, or was it normally for a bypasser, if that makes sense?

4yrs post band, sounds cool, have you found that less intrusive than a bypass? but as effective ?

Her food portions are still small but she eats frequently.
mid morning she had a banana after her coffee
lunch she had a nicose salad home made looked really good
mid afternoon she has a mini philli with celary sticks.
I also noticed she has a large drinks bottle that she filled twice during the day and constantly sipped at apart from after eating for about 1/2 hr.
im back in the office next week so hope to catch up with her again then. if anyone has any specific questions im more than happy to ask her.
carole

Yep i'd agree with what Liz has said, the long termers tend to drift away from the help forums as they no longer need the support, mins is a great place for support and advice, but really its best for people starting out on their journeys or just about to start out, there's very little a long termer can gain from the forum, other than just friendly chat, or offering advice and support to newbies !

And also its like HC said, people tend to lose the weight and then just move on with there lives dealing with it how ever they deal with it.

Her food portions are still small but she eats frequently.
mid morning she had a banana after her coffee
lunch she had a nicose salad home made looked really good
mid afternoon she has a mini philli with celary sticks.
I also noticed she has a large drinks bottle that she filled twice during the day and constantly sipped at apart from after eating for about 1/2 hr.
im back in the office next week so hope to catch up with her again then. if anyone has any specific questions im more than happy to ask her.
carole
Hope you can invite her onto Minimins HC. Her long term experience would be fantastic to share here.
xx

Back