• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Any long term gastric bypass people?

wannaloose18stone

From The Black Country
Hi, is there any long term gastric bypass people here, ie; 2 years or more?

I'm interested in long term problems related with the operation. There are statistics from America that say alot of long term patients suffer from serious side effects and even death.

Have pm'd you

Hi i had my bypass 16 months ago and im ok have had no ill health, i have got to lose 15 stone and have lost nearly 9 stone so far xxx

Hi i had my bypass 16 months ago and im ok have had no ill health, i have got to lose 15 stone and have lost nearly 9 stone so far xxx
Georgina you are doing amazingly well. i read your threads and you give me inspiration. i am still in the early days but reading your posts gives me the boost i need. thanks hun and well done x

Hi, put a similar thread on a month or two ago, like yourself I read up on some of the problems long term post bypass. I did come to the conclusion after reading most of the medical papers and not just Daily Star "factual reporting" that most of the folk that have had major problems after the op had either sabotaged themselves by over eating or had other serious long term illness from before the op that peristed afterwards.
The vast majority of patients long term, have had no negative effects from the procedure and are still living long healthy lives.
Had my op done last day in April and up to press I have had no problems what so ever and what Im looking forward to is a long lived healthy life.........just need to stop smoking the cancer sticks now :D!!

Hi, put a similar thread on a month or two ago, like yourself I read up on some of the problems long term post bypass. I did come to the conclusion after reading most of the medical papers and not just Daily Star "factual reporting" that most of the folk that have had major problems after the op had either sabotaged themselves by over eating or had other serious long term illness from before the op that peristed afterwards.
The vast majority of patients long term, have had no negative effects from the procedure and are still living long healthy lives.
Had my op done last day in April and up to press I have had no problems what so ever and what Im looking forward to is a long lived healthy life.........just need to stop smoking the cancer sticks now :D!!

Thanks for that info. :D
I gave up smoking and drinking 8 weeks before my op. :D

Ooops sorry, I forgot she had moved it :(

How do we get to Zoe's diary? Her diary waas one of my main sources of inspiration when I was considering my op and was so gutted when it vanished! So glad she hasn't deleted it but I would really love to read it again.
I just get the below message when I try - can anyone give me any suggestions?
Cat321, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
  1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

What worries me is that I heard from someone that our local statistics predict a 50% death rate within 5 years :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
2 years being an average length of time. I'm trying to substantiate these claims but I trust the person who told me so some investigation required I think.
Any long term post ops on here????????

Last edited:
What worries me is the few long term patients on here, our local statistics predict a 50% death rate within 5 years :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
2 years being an average length of time.

WHAT - what statistics are those? Where did you get those statistics from?

I'm 19 days away from my op and I really need to know!

No sorry I cant belive those figures, if there was a 50% chance of dying within two years then it would be splashed all over the press and would have been easily found plus it would have been mentioned to all other bypassers on here. Can I ask where your sources are, are they medical documents to back up the claims that you have seen?

Its not a widely known thing, see after a fairly short period a death is no longer associated with the operation itself.

This information comes from a surgeons seminar where they say that the procedure itself is extremely successful but they fall down in after care, ie; long term care. There are many many reasons why complications can occur and do.

I've yet to find a patient thats had the op longer than 3 years hence this post.

Admitadly its not easy seeking out older patients but how do we find out the reality of whats what?

What worries me is the few long term patients on here, our local statistics predict a 50% death rate within 5 years :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
2 years being an average length of time.

wannaloose18stone - i absolutely 100% agree with you, and i also read that Elvis was living in a B52 bomber on the moon too !

Can you please publish these stats you have, conjecture is great, but unsubstantiated without fact is a little poor, had 50% of all bypass paitents died from 2 years post op surely the press would have picked this up before now, not like this is a new thing, they have been doing bypassed since the 70's

show me the facts and the people that have died and i'll eat my hat !

Back