• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Any long term gastric bypass people?

Its not a widely known thing, see after a fairly short period a death is no longer associated with the operation itself.

This information comes from a surgeons seminar where they say that the procedure itself is extremely successful but they fall down in after care, ie; long term care. There are many many reasons why complications can occur and do.

I've yet to find a patient thats had the op longer than 3 years hence this post.

Admitadly its not easy seeking out older patients but how do we find out the reality of whats what?

Can you tell me which surgical seminar this was? it should be mentioned on internet somewhere, Im sure a few people on here have been longer than two years, georgina is coming up to that age! I have also seen plenty of people that are not on this site that have had their ops some over six years ago and they are still alive and kicking around, even those that are suffering severe long term health issues. Complications that result in death after a operation would still be linked with the op and would be made more public!

Its not a widely known thing, see after a fairly short period a death is no longer associated with the operation itself.

This information comes from a surgeons seminar where they say that the procedure itself is extremely successful but they fall down in after care, ie; long term care. There are many many reasons why complications can occur and do.

I've yet to find a patient thats had the op longer than 3 years hence this post.

Admitadly its not easy seeking out older patients but how do we find out the reality of whats what?

Sorry but again i disagree with this, the support forums are a relatively new thing, and those people 3 years post op will have moved on with there lives, you can count the amount of people here on the forum and i bets its around 30 or so. of course your right any of us could get hit by a bus, flying fish or plane tomorrow and that would be a *****, but you cant account for that can you !

I'm trying to get a copy of the report itself, they have only been doing the op for 10 years here. The Americans have been doing it for a long time.

If I'm wrong then cool, find me patients over 5 years post op????????

Dont rely on the press, they dont know everything.........

I work at the government department which produces all med stats including deaths.

I am on A/L this week but first thing Monday morning I shall be emailing a friend who works in 'deaths'.

I'm trying to get a copy of the report itself, they have only been doing the op for 10 years here. The Americans have been doing it for a long time.

If I'm wrong then cool, find me patients over 5 years post op????????

Dont rely on the press, they dont know everything.........

How long are you post op and would you mind saying where you had your op done, your ticker looks like you've lost 9 stone in six weeks, is this correct or a mistake ?

Of course we dont read too much into what the press say, but they would still have picked up on this figure that you mention.
ok couple of questions, once again can you post a link or tell us where we can find this surgeons seminar report, secondly what area did you have the op and who was your surgeon so none of the people on here would risk going to that hospital!

I cant belive these figures until i see them in black and white...until then Im with silver surfer on this one

How long are you post op and would you mind saying where you had your op done, your ticker looks like you've lost 9 stone in six weeks, is this correct or a mistake ?

I've lost 6 stone in 6 1/2 weeks, 9 stone in total including pre op diet.
I will be 7 weeks post op on Wednesday.
I had the operation at Walsall.

Of course we dont read too much into what the press say, but they would still have picked up on this figure that you mention.
ok couple of questions, once again can you post a link or tell us where we can find this surgeons seminar report, secondly what area did you have the op and who was your surgeon so none of the people on here would risk going to that hospital!

I cant belive these figures until i see them in black and white...until then Im with silver surfer on this one

I agree, I want to see the figures aswell, they come from a good friend of mine who'm I trust. He's got hold of them as he goes in tomorrow for surgery and has been in a huge dilema as to believe them or not and hence have the op or not....

I've lost 6 stone in 6 1/2 weeks, 9 stone in total including pre op diet.
I will be 7 weeks post op on Wednesday.
I had the operation at Walsall.

wow thats truelly amazing, do you have any before and after pics you can post on your album, would love to see what you looked like before and after

Oh well if i'm gona die in two years i may as well have a fun 2 years, and hey at least i'll be thin lol :D

wow thats truelly amazing, do you have any before and after pics you can post on your album, would love to see what you looked like before and after

Oh well if i'm gona die in two years i may as well have a fun 2 years, and hey at least i'll be thin lol :D

My before and after pics are on our website.........

Hmmmmm. WL18S, I think it's a little irresponsible to be quoting these figures without being able to back them up with links to or titles of medical research. I am all for reading as much research as possible, but not a big fan of scaremongering.

Shel

Oh serious debate i hope my cazza isn't going anywhere in such a short period of time!!! ive only had the band done but if she's going then so am i. I really dont think the docs would do these kind of procedures if people was going to pass away in a few short years they would just let you eat yourself to death and they would be pulled over the ropes and sued. I think the docs would have been in their graves along time before people with surgical weight loss procedures due to the stress off patients families. load of cods wallop.

Well all I can say is just be on here in 6 years time.

I'm not scaremongering, I was just talking about something someone told me. I was trying to research a bit here. Nobody has to believe anything unless proven.......

My point is though that any new members coming on here pre-op might see the statistics you've quoted and take them as read when in reality, they haven't been backed up by research at all (yet). That's why I think it's dangerous to repeat things without knowing if they are true or not.

Well all I can say is just be on here in 6 years time.

I'm not scaremongering, I was just talking about something someone told me. I was trying to research a bit here. Nobody has to believe anything unless proven.......

Hey - seen your pics and you look great, well done for doing something about your weight and you lokk great with it.

But although it pains me Shel does have a point, you should substantiate your facts with the information.

My point is though that any new members coming on here pre-op might see the statistics you've quoted and take them as read when in reality, they haven't been backed up by research at all (yet). That's why I think it's dangerous to repeat things without knowing if they are true or not.

Your right I think I have perhaps worded it poorly, I will alter it......

Oh serious debate i hope my cazza isn't going anywhere in such a short period of time!!! ive only had the band done but if she's going then so am i. I really dont think the docs would do these kind of procedures if people was going to pass away in a few short years they would just let you eat yourself to death and they would be pulled over the ropes and sued. I think the docs would have been in their graves along time before people with surgical weight loss procedures due to the stress off patients families. load of cods wallop.

I want a fancy funeral chezz lol!
seriously I think the figures that you have been quoted are crap, not only are you worrying yourself over nothing but chez will also back me up that we both know folk that have had the bypass over three years ago and are still walking around and in perfect health.
I think your friend has a lot to answer for putting these thoughts into your head, ask him his sources and lets all have a look.
P.s checked out your photos and well done on the weight loss, you dont look like someone with a fifty fifty chance of dying!

Well I havent eaten in 11 days as I bring everything other than liquids up, my surgeon didnt seem concirned but I am.......lol.

I've also looked on your website and think that you're both amazing but have to admit I am pre op and you've scared the willies out of me. I ain't ready to push up daisies, not even in three years time.

Back