• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Any long term gastric bypass people?

Well I havent eaten in 11 days as I bring everything other than liquids up, my surgeon didnt seem concirned but I am.......lol.

I was told liqueds for four weeks, sloppy food for another four weeks and then solid stuff. As nurse put it I have the insides like a new born and have to treat it like Im been weaned. I know surgeons give different advice but maybe you tried food a bit too quick, try liqueds for a bit longer then move onto really runny porridge, would still nag your surgeon though about this problem that you are having.

Yes I will plod on, I find it very confusing that there are different opinions on what should and shouldnt be. I think there should be a set standard but then that would be easy wouldnt it.........lol.

well I took the advice from wendy who has been involved with bypass patients for last eighteen years, so pretty certain she knows what she is on with lol! will ask her if she has any info about post mortality after bypass for you.

Oh serious debate i hope my cazza isn't going anywhere in such a short period of time!!! ive only had the band done but if she's going then so am i. I really dont think the docs would do these kind of procedures if people was going to pass away in a few short years they would just let you eat yourself to death and they would be pulled over the ropes and sued. I think the docs would have been in their graves along time before people with surgical weight loss procedures due to the stress off patients families. load of cods wallop.

Chezza - Dont worry about Cazza she'll be in a better place soon ;)

Wannaloose18stone - for UK results
take a look at the site below, this might answer some of your questions.
Mr Guy Slater is saying 1 in a 100 will die following surgery. This is not scaremongering, it's fact, from a well respected surgeon.
It's the notes from a radio interview (12/8/08) so very recent and is Dr Mark Porter and Mr Guy Slater (top gastric surgeon) and he is quoting these figures.
BBC - Radio 4 - Case Notes 12/08/2008

If you want to look at US statistics (they've been doing this for longer and therefore have more stats available) then try
http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.com/2008/04/more-on-actual-gastric-bypass-death-rate.html

1 year after 2.1% died
2 yrs " 2.9%
3 yrs " 3.7%
4 yrs " 4.8%
5 yrs " 6.4%

Wannaloose18stone - for UK results
take a look at the site below, this might answer some of your questions.
Mr Guy Slater is saying 1 in a 100 will die following surgery. This is not scaremongering, it's fact, from a well respected surgeon.
It's the notes from a radio interview (12/8/08) so very recent and is Dr Mark Porter and Mr Guy Slater (top gastric surgeon) and he is quoting these figures.
BBC - Radio 4 - Case Notes 12/08/2008

If you want to look at US statistics (they've been doing this for longer and therefore have more stats available) then try
http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.com/2008/04/more-on-actual-gastric-bypass-death-rate.html

1 year after 2.1% died
2 yrs " 2.9%
3 yrs " 3.7%
4 yrs " 4.8%
5 yrs " 6.4%

nothing is available with the second link, page is no longer in use.

Although i have not had the bypass i had the band fitted 3 weeks ago and went back to see the Nurse today who has been with WLS group for years i decided to ask about the post from here which have occured in the last few days. Absolute rubbish was her remark has was the docs too. She has had people long term bypasses for years and they are fine all over England and would put everyone who wished to speak to them intouch. The nurses daughter had a bypass at the age of 22 and if there was any doubt after 30 years experience with weight loss surgery would not send her daughter to her death sentence. Yes in the 70's the bypass surgery was quite barbaric but not this day and age. The people who are more likely to suffer ill effects are the ones that would die without the surgery through long term illness not with the bypass. No way would they get away with it if anything were to go wrong at such a high rate. Everyone is quite willing to jump on the band wagon but where do they get there info from??? who quoted it??? there is risks with every surgery but it is a very thin line for some people who have suffered most of their lives and most of the time it is their last bit of hope they have left. Its better to die trying than not try at all. Go guys that what i say and im proud to be friends of people who have the guts to make a decision in having surgery than end up withering away into blithering heap.
What some people fail to say when reporting the stats of some surgeon is that if he is so good a surgeon then why his he in weight loss surgery if he states the figures show thats true does that not make him a murderer if he knows people is going to die???? Are you sure you haven't got this quack mixed up with Harold Shipman???

Some fair points there.

All surgery as you say has its risks. Its pretty much a known statistic that 1 in 200 patients will die because of the op, does this make him a murderer? Not the word I would use. Should they take this risk?

I wouldn't say it was the op and so would the Doc who i have been to. Its the health issues that surround it and should they take a risk well im sure i would rather die happy eating myself to death than not know when im going to go if i had the op. You took the risk by having the bypass done and im sure you wouldn't want to have a death sentence over your head. All i say is good on you and you surely have nothing to worry about alot of health problems disappear with weight loss surgery. Has for those who have never walked in your shoes or anyone elses that have had wls what do they know??
Its quite easy for someone to come along thats like a coat hanger with clothes on and start on about wls without any knowledge or feelings about people who have suffered be it over indulging or through health problems the weight is there solution get help and work with your band or bypass certainly not the easy way out which some narrow minded people think it is.
I myself have never been really over weight but was going up the scale fast and wanted to do something about it before i got to the point of no return.

Some fair points there.

All surgery as you say has its risks. Its pretty much a known statistic that 1 in 200 patients will die because of the op, does this make him a murderer? Not the word I would use. Should they take this risk?

Of course they should, how many of those 200 fat people will die from obesity related illness if they didn't have the op ?

To be honest statistics are only ever any good compared against other statistics......I.E how many people will die from Heart bypass surgery failure in the first two years, or how many cancer paitents will relapse and die int he first two years following treatment, its all relative.

What you as an individual need to ask yourself is, how long do you think you'd have had at the weight you were at if you hadn't had the bypass ! 5, 10 or maybe 15 years, having had the bypass you stand a greater chance of making it past that figure now, plus you have a better quality of life post op.

For me it was a no brainer, do it or end up on the slab ! if i make it ten years and then keel over dead because thats what the stats say, then at least i've had 10 years as a slim normal person, and i'd rather have 10 years of normality, than 20 years obese.

just my opinion though :D

Good on you Richard go for it thats what i say. I just look at it like one day we all have to go and i will make a good looking corpse. Hope when you go you will be waiting for me and cazza on your cloud with your cupids bow lol. x

Chezza1 and Richard two very good posts, I for one dont care about dying it will happen to us all one day, however, I do care about my quality of life right now. I have had a friend talking this morning who is aghast that I am happy for the bypass he thinks there are less evasive ways of losing weight. I stuck by my guns and think the benefits far far out way the negatives. To live with the bypass/band for an extra 10 years and be happy or not have the op and sit here depressed and miserable with no social life until I pop my clogs maybe a further ten years down the road if I am lucky due to the health problems I know I will be picking the former.....its a personal choice and noone should influence another person, but if that person has chosen the op they should not have to listen to people talking about stats when like richard said stats need other things to compare them with....xx

Chezza1 and Richard two very good posts, I for one dont care about dying it will happen to us all one day, however, I do care about my quality of life right now. I have had a friend talking this morning who is aghast that I am happy for the bypass he thinks there are less evasive ways of losing weight. I stuck by my guns and think the benefits far far out way the negatives. To live with the bypass/band for an extra 10 years and be happy or not have the op and sit here depressed and miserable with no social life until I pop my clogs maybe a further ten years down the road if I am lucky due to the health problems I know I will be picking the former.....its a personal choice and noone should influence another person, but if that person has chosen the op they should not have to listen to people talking about stats when like richard said stats need other things to compare them with....xx

CG - Your absolutely right darling, i know i did the right thing for me, making the desicion to do the op was probably the easiest thing i'd ever done, in fact easier than picking a car ! once i knew the facts, risks and what to expect post op i signed the cheque there and then in the consultants office - game on !

all surgery carries risk, doesn't matter if your having weight lose surgery, a boob lift or a heart bypass, you still face a potential risk, its fact so get over it and get on with it ! - if you crok it on the table you'll never know about it, so why worry about it !

You have made the right choice i'm sure, dont let others influence you in your decision because its for you not them, others dont really understand the op, what it means or the downsides of living as a bypasser, and more importantly most dont and wont understand what its like to live obese, unless they have been.

Remember - there's a thin person inside all of us trying to get out ! :D

Back