• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

lots of questions

crzydoglady

Hi Sorry but got a load of various questions

After a sleeve op, how soon can you start exercising e.g. walking/running/gym going including weights etc

Ive seen comments on requiring some stimulation in the bathroom department, are herbal (senokot) better than the muscle contraction (dulcolax) laxatives

Also with a wrap there is no requirement for medication (apart from initial pain meds) with a sleeve is this a commitment to tablets as seen a couple of comments...
Has anyone had this Op overseas (Czech) and how did you find it to fly afterwards?

How soon after your Ops were you up and about and back at work and doing regular life things/what was the average recovery time for people?

Sorry reason I am asking is at the moment, on arrival at my surgery on the 26/05/15 there is the option to have the sleeve instead of the plication which is what I am now leaning more towards but just want to make sure I go with the right option first as don't want revisions later on etc

Last edited:
Hi
I started gentle exercise such a walking after a few weeks..as for running and the gym I would say I would have been ready at 6 weeks but it's not something I've done anyway.
As for medication after the sleeve..I only take a daily vitamin, nothing else, but others have other supplements.
Touch wood I had no toilet issues after, again others have, I'm usually pretty regular going every 3 days.
Good luck

I would really look at the success rate of the plication. I don't think it's very popular with many surgeons outside of Czech Republic. C

I would really look at the success rate of the plication. I don't think it's very popular with many surgeons outside of Czech Republic. C

I agree. Also with sleeve you have the benefit of the stomach being cut away which means less hunger hormones are generated. I would guess that the wrap doesn't do as well on that front since it is all still there, just shrunk...

What were your reasons for going that route?

Hi Sorry but got a load of various questions

After a sleeve op, how soon can you start exercising e.g. walking/running/gym going including weights etc

Ive seen comments on requiring some stimulation in the bathroom department, are herbal (senokot) better than the muscle contraction (dulcolax) laxatives

Also with a wrap there is no requirement for medication (apart from initial pain meds) with a sleeve is this a commitment to tablets as seen a couple of comments...
Has anyone had this Op overseas (Czech) and how did you find it to fly afterwards?

How soon after your Ops were you up and about and back at work and doing regular life things/what was the average recovery time for people?

Sorry reason I am asking is at the moment, on arrival at my surgery on the 26/05/15 there is the option to have the sleeve instead of the plication which is what I am now leaning more towards but just want to make sure I go with the right option first as don't want revisions later on etc

Hi,

I had my sleeve exactly two weeks ago today. I had hardly any pain at all - it felt like I had pulled some muscles but this went within two days. I was initially sick for the first few hours after surgery but this was due to the anaesthetic.

I was up and about walking the next day - I haven't started exercising yet as I was told to wait for 6 weeks. I was driving on my 6th day after surgery.

All I take daily is a multi vitamin although I did have to inject myself for 5 days when I came home with Clexane - it's not as bad as it sounds and even though I was initially horrified - it didn't hurt and now it's done with. It was to stop a DVT from forming.

I have had two weeks off work and am going back on Monday. I could have gone back a week ago but I work at home from my kitchen/diner and we have had a mouse in there so I was basically too scared to sit in there working all day! The mouse thank god is now gone :). My boss has been fab and readily agreed to me having two weeks off :).

I had my op in Birmingham so have no idea about surgery abroad I'm sorry. I haven't had any toilet issues either - I don't "go" everyday but when I need to go there are no issues.

Sar :) x

thanks for the replys, I looked seriously into the plication and it is popular in the USA and has had a great success rate there, however, just like with the sleeve some people haven't achieved results (so no difference) in test studies they have done in plication the post op surgical complications are dramatically reduced hence my initial sway to the plication, as trust me, if it can go wrong... it will with me, I am not a lucky person. Plus post op recovery is quicker and being self employed this was another bonus.

However, I have noticed that the people with sleeves do seem to drop a greater amount of weight this could be due to the fact the hunger hormones are taken away and unlike some folks, I don't emotionally eat but I do feel hungry a lot due to a busy life and I get hungry when I get tired so this is why I am now swaying to the sleeve as that is my key issue :(

Ive found a couple of ppl now who have had the sleeve abroad and they have rated the hospital very highly so either surgery will be done with them, I just need to make the right choice and I have seen some folks have had revision after the plication to a sleeve so this again is why I am thinking have the sleeve done straight away instead of the possibility of more surgery in the future.

I had written a war and peace novel but it didn't seem to post so back to basics, looked into both surgeries, the plication is very popular in usa and has good success and less post op complications but the sleeve has a higher success in the fact of reducing the hunger which is my big issue as Im not an emotional eater, in fact when im upset I don't eat, unfortunately Im a pretty upbeat person so means its down to being hungry and grazing all the time :( this is why im thinking the sleeve would suit me better, plus I have noticed a couple of comments on here via the revision section of failed wraps having the sleeve and I don't want more surgery in my life.

I get the impression that recovery is very individual, whichever op you have. Constipation might be avoided with lots of water & trying to take regular exercise when you can

Back