• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Low calcium

mells

In my recent blood tests everything was fine except I had low calcium. My GP said eat more yogurt and drink plenty of milk. Thing is I try to stick to around 1000 - 1100 cals a day (any more than that and I just dont lose weight). Adding in more yogurts is difficult.

I only took calcium tablets for about 4 weeks after my OP because that was what the hospital told me to do.

Do other banders take calcium supplements?

I do take a good A-Z multivitamin and minerals tablet every day.

Hi Mells. I was told by Ana to stay on the calcium tablets for life and my GP has included them on my repeat prescriptions.

It may be worth giving Ana a ring and discussing it with her and perhaps ask her to write to your GP?

tranquil x

Oh my gosh that is terrible. They cannot leave you for that long. Have you tried PALS to see if they can get you a closer appointment?

tranquil x

After a lot of moaning Ana has offered to fit me in somewhere. Problem is I have no leave left, and as I strugle to get my hours in at work finding the time to get there is going to be a nightmare. I seem to be managing to eat better in the last week than I have for weeks. GP is going to check my calcium again in a couple of months.

I am glad you GP is going to monitor it. WM seem to be getting worse - if that is possible:rolleyes:.

Good news on the eating front - are you doing anything differently?

tranquil x

ive been told to take calcium supplements for life too, i also have them on repeat prescription, along with forceval, and fastabs, and vit b12 jabs e very 3 months.

you can buy ADCAL tablets over the counter, and you can get them in lemon or tutti fruity.
hope this helps.

I asked if I needed to go on to supplements after my band and the answer was, you shouldn't need to, you should get all you need by what you eat.

Also if you use skimmed milk and fat free yoghurts, both are very low in fat and calories yet have high calcium levels.

There is so much conflicting advice out there for us WLS patients, there really should be a little more uniform advice...LOL

I was told that i didn't need to take any supplement post op . But they did tell me to take a multivitamin pre-op . Must ask when i go for my next appointment .

Hi mells
I was told to take fast tabs when and if I needed them and a multivitamin every day. I was also advised to take calcuim supplements but i think with yoghurt and skimmed milk I am getting enough calcuim so I take them every other day.
It is amazing how much everyone's advice differs so its hard to know what to do for the best at times.
How are you doing mells? - I havent seen you post for a while
I hope you are OK
Love jo XX

It is weird as Mells and I both had our ops at the same place with the same surgeon:eek:.

I had been taking a multi vitamin and vitamin C daily for years so carried on with those post op. I was given the fastabs for a month and checked with the bariatric nurse if I needed to carry on with them - she said no but that I would have to stay on the Adcal for life - which is a shame because I hate the chalky after taste. I only drink skimmed milk and have yoghurt now and again. I don't suppose it will do harm if you have too much calcium?

tranquil x

I wasn't told anything about this but I think it makes sense to make sure you get enough calcium be it through diet of supplements. I am confused about how different everyones experience is. I was told nothing about blood thinning injections or calcium!! :-(

Back