• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

MAJOR PLATEAU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

everpositive

Sorry lads and ladies,

I've posted on this before but I'm really worried about this one!!! :cry:

I have lost 8.5 stones now since my op in Jan. I've had short lived plateaus before but not as long as this one. I've only lost 6lbs in three weeks and am worried that this is it, I wont lose too much more when I have at least another 4 st to go?!?!?!?

I have noticed that my capacity to eat more has increased and am desperately worried that I seem to want biscuits. I do give into this occasionally but not enough for me to be putting weight on or it sabotaging my success to date :confused:

I got the distinct impression from all the info I have read and been told from the medics, that I should be able to have a little treat because I can have so little and the malabsorbtive aspect means we only ever take on 40 -50% of what we eat, so dont really take on the fats or sugars????

I'm wearing a size 20 now. Was a 32 at Christmas. My sis is getting married the week before xmas and on the basis of the amount Ive lost and predicted I'd be a 16 by then and have bought my bridesmaid dress in that size. It fits me fine everywhere, waist, hips, tummy but its too tight across the bust and wont zip up the side of my ribs. I'm screwed if I dont lose at least 2.5 st by then???? :eek:

Thoughts and advice please?

C xx

Everyone stalls at one time or another, first thing to do is......don't panic.

Up your protein and exercise and take care of the amount of carbs you are consuming.

If you find you are eating more just check that you are not allowing yourself too much time to linger over meals...meaning cut back and only allow 20-25 minutes per meal and measure all your food.

I have never allowed myself to eat sweet stuff as it would set me on a slippery slope, I would advise caution here hun. Just because you want to eat them doesn't mean you have to.

2.5 stone is very doable by Christmas. Worry not it will be OK.

Hi CC soz cant help you there as i am pre op but did not want to read and run, congrats on ur fab weight loss so far, am sure they will be others along soon with loads of advice for ya xxx

Hi Claire,

First off, congratulations for your fab weight loss so far. I can understand your anxieties about being on a plateau and perhaps not being able to lose all the weight you want. I think since you've lost 6lbs in three weeks, it's not technically a plateau. Just a slow down. I'm pasting some brilliant advice and information on busting a stall I got off the internet. I'm not taking credit for it but can't remember where I took it from. I usually cut and paste useful info I come across into my personal WLS resources file. Here goes:

"Weight loss stalls and plateaus are very common after WLS -- or any type of weight loss program. We didn't gain weight steadily over the years and we will not lose weight every day or week when we're losing weight it's not going to melt off every day or week. It's frustrating, but it's all part of the process and we just have to be patient and work through these little bumps in the road.

But when the scale hasn't moved for a couple weeks or months - this is the perfect time to take a very close look at what we're doing and figure out if we need to make change. Have we allowed bad habits to creep back in or are there adjustments to routines that need to be made to jumpstart the weight loss again? Here's a list I typed up earlier:
· Are you tracking your food intake in a food journal? Is it on track?
· Are you tracking every single calorie that passed your lips? (flavored water, vitamins, gum, single pieces of candy) Even if you aren't keeping track of calories, your body is!
· Are you eating too MANY calories?
· Are you eating too FEW calories?
· Are you taking in enough protein? 80-100g/day
· Are the fats you're eating healthy (polyunsaturated and monounsaturated)
· Are you eating too many simple carbs (bread, pasta, potatoes, sugar, pasta, rice)
· Are you eating enough fruits and veggies?
· Are you drinking enough water (water flushes fat toxins from our body)?
· Are you grazing?
· Are you eating the right quantity? Measuring and weighting foods?
· Are you eating on a schedule?
· Are you exercising hard enough? Long enough? Fast enough?
· When's the last time you changed your exercise routine? (The body becomes efficient and doesn't burn as many calories after we've done the same thing for 4-6 weeks)
· Have you added weight training to your workouts? (muscle burns more calories at rest)
· Are you taking all your vitamins and supplements?
· Have you started taking any new medications that might promote weight gain?
· Have you taken your measurements (you might be losing inches even if the scale isn't moving)"

I hope that helps. Remember that plateausare normal. Stay with protein first & stay the course, the remaining pounds will drop off.

Take care.

Hi
Im a bander but im sure you will loose what you need to by xmas.
Please dont panic, you will be fine. think about how far you have come and what you have achieved. perhaps take a closer look at what your eating (food diary) to see any obvious things that you could change.
good luck and onwards and DOWNwards for you.

hello please dont worry your doing great and you'll look fab at christmas your dress will look and fit great. things do slow down as your body gets used to its day to day activity,try changing your activity and change your foods for bit and see if it helps hun xx xx well done on your weight loss so far your a superstar x x

Claire - your weight loss should be starting to slow down now, 6 months post op things start slowing, its just how it is, nows the time you have to fall back on the healthier life style you should have been learning, exercise and using your pouch properly.

EP, please take this with all the most positive well meaning intent.
YOU ARE NOT ON A PLATEAU!!!!

You cannot call losing 2lbs a week a stall, a slow down or a plateau...that is an average, normal, completely acceptable loss for someone who has had wls. Let's get real here, people post all the time how they are disappointed with how slow their weight loss is and they say 'I only lost 2 pounds' this week. I have done the math for them. People who lose an average of a stone a month like you are losing pretty fast with an average of 2.5-3.5 pounds a week. I have rarely in my near 10 months of losing lost more than 5lbs in a week and my weekly average is really like 2.5lbs/week. It is reality check time, 2 lbs is great and should not be treated with panic!!!!

You have to stop perpetuating the myth that a) 2lbs/week is too little to be considered good and b) that you will lose every week post-op unless you are being bad. Both things are completely untrue and detrimental to everyone's morale. Most people can expect to average 2-3lbs per week for the first 6-9 months then most can expect 1-2lbs for up to 2 years post-op depending on your total weight to lose and commitment to adopting a healthy lifestyle (sensible balanced eating and exercise). And there will be weeks when *gasp* through no fault on your part you do not lose an ounce. It just happens and we can do everything right but your body just says no, you can check your inches and find your loss there usually!

So forget the panic word 'plateau' and just continue eating sensible balance meals, pay attention to when you feel full and stop eating. Make sure the occasional treat does not turn into habitual treats and get exercise regularly. That is all you have to do to be successful.

Nic:)

There are about 17 weeks to go until the big day. At your present rate of loss that's 38lbs which is 2stone 10lbs. So don't worry. 2.5 lbs a week is very good - you will get there. Congratulations on your weight loss so far - you've done brilliantly - if you keep doing what you are doing now you will certainly reach the weight you want to be. Zxx

The last couple of posts say it all. You are not on a plateau if you're
losing on average 2 lbs per week.
Well done on your fab weight loss so far. You will look fab for the wedding. Keep it up!! x x

ive plataued for ages now, lets say maintained , will we ever be happy with what we have lost ? im a bander, im not the perfect size society says i should be but im happy that ive lost what i have and im maintaining, my life is so different now and im greatfull for that xxx

Phatgirl has said it all.

Relax, stop panicking you are NOT on a plateau let alone a MAJOR plateau.

You have done fantastically to have lost 8.5 stone already this year!! you go girl!!! You have dropped 6 dress sizes!!!

Don't beat yourself up and put pressure on yourself by setting target dates to loose weight. If you are doing everything right (which you must be with 2lb a week weight lose) then you will loose the rest of your weight in time. Put pressure on, to do it by a certain date and you are more likely to stall.

XXXXXXXXXX

Hi Claire

As usual you have some fantastic advice...And PG has put it all in a nut shell really...What she has said I will take on board.

It really is psychological...When we see low numbers (eg 2 lb), we panic at the time but we forget that those numbers do add up over time and they make larger numbers.

You have done so so so amazingly well so far...you have done most of the hard work...don't beat yourself up!

(((hugs)))

Thanks everyone for helping get my head screwed back on again. I'm neurotic as well as overweight sadly ;)

Thanks also for you kind and encouraging words about my loss to date and the likelihood of this continuing although perhaps not at the same fast rate.

Cheers guys :)

Im with PG 2lbs aweek is great. So your weight loss may start slowing but that is only natural you cant lose big amounts for long periods, wouldnt be healthy.
SS is right now you have to use all your new learnt skills and you will get into that dress at christmas Claire

Jay xx

Back