• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Major Depression, need help! :(

purplepansyem

Crazy Cat Lady ;)
Hi guys, I did something that I think was a huge mistake now and I'm paying for it, big time.

I was on 40mg of Prozac (Fluoxetine) before my surgery and had been for some years.

Less than a week after my sleeve operation, I stopped taking them because I was having problems swallowing tablets.

I didn't suffer any ill effects until a few weeks ago when depression started to creep in.

I didn't want to go back on the Prozac so I avoided taking them but it wasn't until last week that I realised I was in a major depressive funk and started back on the tablets.

I went for a check up at St. Georges in Tooting and the Dr said that I had made a big mistake and that I should never suddenly stop taking anti-depressants but instead, should wean myself off them.

He questioned me and discovered that I've been off the pills for 7 months and have been suffering for about 2 of those months.

He also got me to realise that I'm not eating properly anymore either, as well as all the other typical depressive problems like not wanting to go out, get dressed, wash etc.

I've been back on the Prozac for about 5 days and wanted to know if anyone else has suffered with depression and what I can do to help myself?

I've never felt this bad before, asking my husband if I can go to bed at 8pm! I feel like I want to crawl out of my own skin, can't sit and watch tv or do any housework...I just want to swallow a load of sleeping tablets and sleep through this horrible part of my life.

Thankfully, I don't feel suicidal but I need help desperately.

Oh hun, I am so sorry to hear you are suffering like this, and how awful that no one explained that you need to wean off Prozac. It is probably going to take a few weeks for them to kick in properly and for you to feel the benefits.

I have been on anti-Ds for several years now and have felt exactly like you. Do you have access to talking therapies in your area, where I live they are self-referral, I had CBT and found it did help if only to change the way I thought about things.

I was on the slow-release version of my meds but have had to change because I read that they don't always work post-bypass, also they are too big to swallow, and you can't crush them.

I was the same as you, could not do anything, never went out and where you want to sleep I wanted to run away and never look back. I was lucky with very supportive GPs, so if yours is good make use of them and ask about talking therapy.

Keep talking on here, there are almost certainly others who have been through the same thing. Be kind to yourself, you are ill and as one of my doctors told me - you wouldn't think twice about getting treatment for a broken leg so why would you not get help for depression

Lynn x

It sounds like you need some support. I've suffered from anxiety and depression since my teens and the lows are very low.
If you have a local MIND they can be very helpful. Xx

Hang on on there. It's going to take with wee while for you to start feeling the benefits of being back on them (although you will probably feel the nnegative affects like nausea quite quickly). If you feel like going to bed at eight then go
I found at my lowest it did my brain a favour as I could sleep through the lowest bits. I go to bed most nights even now I'm well by eight of clock because I know lack of sleep is a trigger for me. Do what you need to do to get thru but you need to start feeding yr body properly so it has what it needs to function, physically and mentally. Concentrate on doing that and just getting through each day, the rest will come. Be kind to yourself for a bit. Big hugs x

Right, here goes with the science bit. When you start Prozac you excrete most of it but a little building block stays behind, and day 2 building block attaches on , then day 3 etc. That's why it takes a few weeks to start to feel the benefit. However if you stop them you are fine for a bit and then it's like a demolition ball has smashed your resilience. However, the good news is that rebuilding is easy, but it will take a little while (2-3 weeks) for you to feel the benefit.

So for now, it's a bit of a waiting game. But to boost serotonin levels try to get up and out, especially in fresh air and daylight, even if it's a trot around the garden. And you need to know that it WILL get better. Good luck!

Hi, I am sorry to hear that you are suffering. Just rest until the medicines kick in. I was on prozac too but changed to citaroplam last year. Tablets are tiny.

So sorry to here you are suffering. I also take Prozac which I have now have in liquid form.

Do what your body tells you to, you have taken a step towards being in a better place. Rest and recuperate xxx

Thanks everybody. I have a telephone appointment with the IAPT team on Monday for 45 mins. I don't know how I'm going to be able to stay on the phone for that long, I have trouble keeping still, I'm so restless.

The Dr is also calling on Monday to see how I am.

Everyday just stretches out and is so long. This is awful :cry:

That's good that you have those, hugs to you and you will get better. I know when I have my down times thinking it won't end but it does. Look after yourself xx

Oh hunni I did exactly the same. Stopped taking meds for swallowing reasons. Went deep down into that dark hole. My surgery wag August and I had to go back on the floutotine in February. If stay in your system for around 21 days. I came off a month before surgery ad I was worried about the swallowing and also re the anisthetic As I had a procure which floxoutine affected in the part and my mother had issues with coming awake during surgery so I have a have a fear of thus

It will take two to three weeks for your mds to take effect then I'm sure you will stat to pick up good luck xxx

I saw someone on an earlier post says she's on Prozac syrup. That might be the answer to swallowing tablets. Try asking your gp to change your prescription. Also with syrup you can take small amounts throughout the day.

Back