• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Managing with children early days after WLS

Sam00190

I have a little boy who is 18 months, i am a single parent so look after his every need on my own when i have the surgery i will have someone to look after him then but after it will be just me and him. How does everyone managing with lifting the weight of a toddler as it will be unavoidable especially bath time and lifting him in and out of his cot x

I am a by passer. There is no way I could have coped with the children on my own unfortunately, especially one so young and dependent! I was sleepy much of the time and it hurt to stand in the initial few days. If you are also having a bypass you will need to find someone to help I think.

Iam a passer too and there is also no way I could have managed a child of that age in the first week. You really need someone to stay with you.

I have a 4 year old and a 7 year old and had a bypass 2 weeks ago and I've needed a lot of help with them. And they get themselves dressed/ feed themselves etc etc. You will be sore and tired and only start feeling normal after a couple of weeks.

If you are going ahead you'll definitely need to arrange someone to help.

Good luck.

You are not supposed to lift anything heavier than say the kettle for a mug of coffee,I slept for weeks and couldnt of coped with kids!You will deffo need help this is major surgery and takes about 6 weeks to heal inside properly.Dont even think of doing it by yourself.

I had gallbladder removal a few years ago and managed ok lifting things so thought i would have been ok with this surgery

I managed fine alone, just took it steady!

Back